Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Walnut blasting time!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 11:17 AM
timski
4th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Walnut blasting time!

I have a 2009 MCS with 212,000 on the body and about 160,000 on the engine.

Pulled the engine because I have a long list of things to do. Numerous oil leaks.....thermostat....timing chain, etc.

Take a look at the carbon!!!
One of the worst I have seen.
Now I have to figure out how I'm going to know when the intake valves are truly closed.

Have all the tools for walnut blasting.
I'm sure I will have a difficult time getting it all removed.

When removing the intake manifold I didn't expect to see the inside of the chamber so wet with oil. Installing a OCC as well. Is this normal?

Attached Thumbnails Walnut blasting time!-photo709.jpg   Walnut blasting time!-photo536.jpg   Walnut blasting time!-photo617.jpg   Walnut blasting time!-photo456.jpg   Walnut blasting time!-photo500.jpg  

Old 04-29-2017, 06:17 AM
timski
4th Gear
Sorry if the questions sound like they are coming from a nube....which I am not. Ha.

I didn't expect the entire intake chamber to be so wet with oil.

The plan is turn the engine over by hand and watch the valves come up and seal. I just wish I knew by looking at the cam if the valves are closed for sure. Why don't they just simply place timing marks on the components like Honda does? So much easier. There is a ton of carbon on the intake valves so looking at them doesn't really help. I guess I will watch them go up and if it looks correct spray a little carb cleaner and make sure it pools up in the chamber.

Old 04-29-2017, 07:18 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Digital inspection camera helps !
Harbor Freight
middle of the page....

Old 04-29-2017, 09:00 AM
timski
4th Gear
Thanks. I have one that plugs into my iphone.
I will give it a shot.

Old 04-29-2017, 03:48 PM
Redhotz
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I sprayed carb cleaner in mine and let it set for 5-10 minutes. The two center valve will be closed at the same time and vice versa.

Old 04-30-2017, 12:35 PM
seandallen
3rd Gear
Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts
Suggestions?

Originally Posted by timski
Sorry if the questions sound like they are coming from a nube....which I am not. Ha.

I didn't expect the entire intake chamber to be so wet with oil.

The plan is turn the engine over by hand and watch the valves come up and seal. I just wish I knew by looking at the cam if the valves are closed for sure. Why don't they just simply place timing marks on the components like Honda does? So much easier. There is a ton of carbon on the intake valves so looking at them doesn't really help. I guess I will watch them go up and if it looks correct spray a little carb cleaner and make sure it pools up in the chamber.
I have a couple of things you might try. With the spark plugs out, you might see if blowing LP air in the cylinder leaks out the valves. Also, you could let some cleaner pool on top of the valves for 15-20 minutes and see if it leaks out down to the cylinder head (Which you could vacuum out or let evaporate).

That's my two cents'. You may have already thought of these.

Old 05-09-2017, 01:35 PM
timski
4th Gear
After pics.
2 center cylinders are closed together.
Sprayed carb cleaner....it pooled up and verified they were closed. Blasted with walnut shells and bye bye carbon.

Attached Thumbnails Walnut blasting time!-photo124.jpg   Walnut blasting time!-photo889.jpg   Walnut blasting time!-photo628.jpg   Walnut blasting time!-photo921.jpg  
Old 05-13-2017, 07:02 PM
Torquenut
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can you show your walnut blaster? I going to take my engine out also, change out clutch, timing chain, waterpump and check the valves. If I need to walnut clean was thinking of using a harbor freight blaster, not sure if that will work.

Old 05-13-2017, 07:22 PM
timski
4th Gear
Sorry not the best pic but it's the 20 lb media blaster from HF. Seen in the bottom of the pic.
My air compressor is a Quincy 20 gallon seen in the other pic.
I'm using the BWM/MINI OEM wand and manifold adapter and HF walnut shells.

The following users liked this post:
aabcds (04-13-2020)
Old 05-13-2017, 07:23 PM
timski
4th Gear
Pics

Attached Thumbnails Walnut blasting time!-photo126.jpg   Walnut blasting time!-photo63.jpg   Walnut blasting time!-photo135.jpg  
Old 05-13-2017, 07:30 PM
Torquenut
Neutral
I was thinking small, think this will work or just go big or go home?

Old 05-13-2017, 07:47 PM
timski
4th Gear
Well, I think you will be refilling that gun like every 2 mins. I had a really hard time controlling the flow of walnut shells. My setup was throwing a ton of shells. No matter what valve I adjusted I just couldn't slow it down. I ran at 90 psi. I think lower psi might have been better. I cleaned out my vacuum before starting and just reused the 5 lb of shells over and over. I did the whole job in about 30 mins. You need to find a setup that works for you. If you are under-powered in any way you might not be able to even start. Good luck.

Old 05-13-2017, 08:12 PM
Torquenut
Neutral
great tips and I will try your way, thank you.

Old 05-16-2017, 09:07 PM
f_p
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gosh, that's indeed a lot of carbon built up.
I am having mine blasted. The car has 65 thousand Kilometers. I will post photos when received, to compare.

Old 05-17-2017, 08:34 AM
vistaracer
2nd Gear
I did the carbon cleaning. After reassembly, car would not idle. I can hold the throttle pedal down and engine will run at 2000 to 3000, but as soon as I let off the pedal motor dies. I have three codes on EScan Gage- U114B, U115B, U115E, which according to Bentely manual are lost communication with engine control torque 1, lost communication with engine control torque 3, and lost communication with engine data. Anyone have any suggestions? It acts like a big intake manifold leak. I have double checked all the connections. I am at a lose.

Old 07-12-2017, 11:03 AM
timski
4th Gear
Thanks. But now that I have money invested in walnut blasting equipment I will stick with that.
Plus over the long haul it's cheaper to walnut blast in my opinion. (I have 3 R56's).