Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

2004 Automatic Mini Cooper - Car won't start, doors won't unlock by fob or manually

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 09:40 AM
tntaussie
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 Automatic Mini Cooper - Car won't start, doors won't unlock by fob or manually

My daughter drove her mini home without problem. She locked the car using the key fob without incident. She went out later that night to get something from her car and it wouldn't unlock. I went out and tried and it wouldn't unlock using the key fob or by putting the key in the lock. The trunk for some reason was unlocked (which has never been the case in the past). I put the back seats down and crawled through to the front and the doors wouldn't open by using the door interior door handle. The unlock switch wouldn't unlock the doors either. I put the key in the ignition and the car wouldn't even attempt to start. The windows wouldn't roll down, the convertible top wouldn't open. The gauges came on and the interior light came on, but that was it. When the key was in the ignition and I tried to start it, a different type of beeping than usual started but as soon as I took the key out it stopped. Out of curiosity I took the key out and turned it over and the same thing happened. To check if the battery was dead I hooked up jumper cables from my car to her mini and still nothing happened. There's only one key to this car. Can anyone give me any ideas or suggestions as to what's going on??

Thanks!!

Old 04-17-2017, 05:02 PM
coopermike29
3rd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
How many miles ?

How old is the battery ?

These cars...like many modern cars are " heavily" reliant on the battery.

I would have the battery tested. If cannot drive it to be checked...I would take the battery out and test.

If going to keep the car...I would get another key asap.

Old 04-17-2017, 05:33 PM
MVPeters
5th Gear
Received 145 Likes on 122 Posts
Try these:
Make sure it's in Park or Neutral.
Try a new battery in the fob - it's a standard watch battery - there's a reset procedure to go through.
Put the key in the door lock, twist it left to unlock & hold it for 10-15 seconds.
Try jumper cables again, but make sure you have a good solid connection.

Some combination of these might wake it up.

Old 05-07-2017, 07:11 PM
tntaussie
Neutral
Somehow the trunk locked as well after exiting the first time and now I can not get to the battery or inside the car. I guess I'll have to end up towing it to a dealer. To answer mileage question, 110,000 miles with right at 1 yr old battery. As for the battery in the remote, a piece is soddered on to the battery so it can't be simply changed out. I learned this the hard way with my mini cooper countryman fob.

Old 02-28-2018, 06:09 PM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 427 Likes on 393 Posts
My phone got me here!

Old 09-26-2019, 11:56 PM
Morgan Grobin
Neutral
I've found myself in the exact same situation, what was the resolution?

Old 10-01-2019, 06:23 PM
cecethis
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Have you tried manually locking and unlocking from the trunk? Of all the weird things we had a similar prob w/ one and were able to do it with the trunk lock rather than driver door or fob

Old 03-15-2022, 03:23 PM
banjer
Neutral
Same issue in 2019 Mini Cooper Clubman. Anybody got a solution?