Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Trunk Will Not Open

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 02:54 PM
stiles165
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trunk Will Not Open

The trunk on my 2003 mini Cooper S has not been able to open since the day I bought the car. I can open by pulling the cable under the seat but it has started to drive me nuts. I think it could be some wiring issue because I bought a replacement trunk latch (where you grab to open the trunk) and that still didn't fix it. If anyone has any ideas or first hand experience that would be great. Also a wiring diagram could help. I'm pretty much out of ideas so really anything will help

Old 02-23-2017, 08:55 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Did you see any corrosion anywhere when you replaced the handle? Check out the wiring harness back there for any obvious damage. You'll want to remove the trim around the rear boot and check for any type of water intrusion or corrosion. Check out this NAM thread here: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...it-myself.html.

This guide might help if it is an electrical issue: http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/...mbzgft_pg3.htm and if after you do what I said above does nothing.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 02-23-2017, 09:15 AM
stiles165
Neutral
yes I've taken all surrounding trim off and there is nothing obvious.

Old 04-17-2017, 07:59 PM
stiles165
Neutral
It turns out it was a bad ground. I hardwired the grounds from the opening mechanism to the negative battery terminal. Works like a charm now