Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Help, leaky roof

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 03:14 PM
Piff
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help, leaky roof

So I just bought a 06 cooper S in "space black" (or whatever it's called). I absolutely love the car and everything about it. I've upgraded from a 5 speed 2000 Honda Civic coupe, so the change in power and handling is wonderful.

The car is in great condition however it appears the roof leaks. After about a week of owning the car I noticed a puddle of water in the rear passenger seat one morning after a night of downpour. I'm not sure the specific name of the piece but the "box shaped thing" in the back of the interior of the car under the antenna (I think) leaks. There are two vents on the box and near the back one water seeps through right where the vent and headliner meet.

I'm not sure if this is a common problem, but I wanted to see what y'all thought and if there was an easy solution..Living in Florida with frequent rain I want to get this fixed ASAP before any damage is caused.

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails Help, leaky roof-image.jpeg  
Old 09-14-2016, 07:07 PM
Da_Ghost
5th Gear
Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
It's coming from the antenna most likely. There's two pieces, the top part and the bottom being the seal. Mine was leaking from there as well and the water was getting between both parts.

Old 09-14-2016, 10:24 PM
RB-MINI
6th Gear
Received 490 Likes on 409 Posts
Also check the 4 sunroof drain tubes. The hoses often come loose and cause leaks. A leaking tube on the front passenger side is especially bad since it usually leads to a fried Body Control Module which controls most of the car and is $$$.

The fix is reattaching the hoses and adding a hose clamp to keep them in place.

Old 09-15-2016, 06:11 PM
900exdriver
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Piff, I just picked my '06 a month ago and the same was/is happening. The PO threw some tape around the antenna base. I haven't had the car outside when it has rained but have washed it and it hasn't leaked yet. I've tested all 4 corners by pouring water down the drains and seem to drain properly. So I hoping the cause is from the antenna base.

Old 09-24-2016, 01:00 PM
Piff
1st Gear
Originally Posted by 900exdriver
Piff, I just picked my '06 a month ago and the same was/is happening. The PO threw some tape around the antenna base. I haven't had the car outside when it has rained but have washed it and it hasn't leaked yet. I've tested all 4 corners by pouring water down the drains and seem to drain properly. So I hoping the cause is from the antenna base.
The tape did work to keep the water out, Thanks!
However is the leak caused because the seal around the exterior of the antenna base is bad or is there another seal inside/under the base that may be bad?
Thanks

Old 09-24-2016, 02:04 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Tape is a VERY short term solution.....
I'd plan on changing the anteana base or taking it apart, and applying some RTV to seal it up...
Me...I would do it sooner than later....there are parts that are not expected to get wet up there...
And do yourself a favor....change the clamps on the sunroof drains....the OEM ones fall off...usually in cold climates, but it can happen anywhere....4 tiny screw clamps a best, but you might get away with adding some black zip-ties if you are in an area where the car is never exposed to cold temps....
I'd bet a bit of water gets stuck in the tube... freezes....and busts the OEM clamp, or makes it slip off as the ice crystals grow....and then when it rains...water runs down the interior walls and gets into the fusebox and or BCM , either one causing serious$$$$ issues....totaling the car for some.
About a 15 minute and maybe $4 fix...cheap insurance.

Old 09-25-2016, 05:28 AM
Piff
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
Tape is a VERY short term solution.....
I'd plan on changing the anteana base or taking it apart, and applying some RTV to seal it up...
Me...I would do it sooner than later....there are parts that are not expected to get wet up there...
And do yourself a favor....change the clamps on the sunroof drains....the OEM ones fall off...usually in cold climates, but it can happen anywhere....4 tiny screw clamps a best, but you might get away with adding some black zip-ties if you are in an area where the car is never exposed to cold temps....
I'd bet a bit of water gets stuck in the tube... freezes....and busts the OEM clamp, or makes it slip off as the ice crystals grow....and then when it rains...water runs down the interior walls and gets into the fusebox and or BCM , either one causing serious$$$$ issues....totaling the car for some.
About a 15 minute and maybe $4 fix...cheap insurance.
Thanks for the informantion, i am planning to take apart the antenna today, im getting tired of running out during or before a rainstorm and taping the antenna. As for the sunroof clamps i like in Florida so not much freezing should occur but i will defiantly check out the clamps.