Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Did your Harman Kardon amplifier die during the summer??

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2016, 06:01 PM
JimmyChooToo
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Did your Harman Kardon amplifier die during the summer??

I just replaced the HK amp in my 2010 R57 Base Convertible with a 21/10 build date with one from a 2015 R60 Countryman with a 16/15 build date. Buy the newest one you can afford, because I think these all will eventually burn out due to heat. My original one lasted 6 years and 69,000 miles which sounds about right. I bet BMW builds these to last at least past the warranty period. The HK amps are rated higher than the Hi-Fi (both are inter-changeable), but has a weaker more cosmetic heat sink. I bet for those two reasons, the Hi-Fi amp has a much lower failure rate than HK.

The other thing about these amps is that they are basically continuously on, because they also power the warning gong sound. This also probably negatively affects their longevity and that also makes these amp failures a safety issue.

I think it would be beneficial to add a CPU fan to these amps and on hot days when the car is parked outside to send A/C to the amp first (on my convertible and in the countryman the amp is under the driver seat) before turning the stereo on. I think that may prolong the life of these expensive amps.

Old 03-09-2017, 01:12 PM
TheJuice
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I know this is an old thread but can you replace the HK Amplifier with a different version like you did (a newer version from a R60)? I have a Model HS 9598, D-Muster 9239601 AI:01 that just died yesterday. I thought that the D-Muster number needed to match in order to work properly?

My car is a 2011 R56 MCS

Thanks
-Jason

Old 04-12-2024, 04:48 PM
Billius
Neutral
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know this is an old thread on top of a really old thread....

My son has just taken over my 2011 R57 Mini Cooper S Convertible. (USA - Left Hand Drive). I have HK tweeters on the A-pillars - so I assume this is the HK audio system with external HK amp...

Had a couple of intermittent audio issues - but never anything that a turn off / on didn't fix..

Until now.... Now - no audio - including any warning chimes etc. The front head unit and radio controls all seem to be working - just NO audio.

So questions please:
  1. There seems to be multiple fuses which could be associated with radio/amp/head unit - F5, F45, F49 - is there any possibility that there is a fuse for the AMP which could have gone - I haven't read this on any google searches - but I wanted to ask you all.
  2. I am going to try and connect an OBD reader - will I be able to see any codes if the amplifier is not working?
  3. I see some kind of plastic cover under the driver (left hand side) seat - I assume the HK amp will be under this cover? [it seems the amps are at other locations on other mini cooper models]
  4. Will I need to remove front seat to get to amp? If so - do I have to remove battery connection to stop alert/or problem with airbag sensor?
  5. Could I at least get to wiring plug without removing seat ? - if so I will try to unplug and plug in again to see if it helps fix?
  6. Any good way to confirm Amp is the root cause?
  7. If I do need to replace amp - I saw advice on getting the newest HK amp possible - what HK amps would be guaranteed to be plug and play?
  8. I read that amps are designed and matched to cope with particular speaker config / specs - so if I get a new amp - will the 'tuning' be correct?
  9. If I want to buy another alternative amp - what ones do people recommend for the my setup please.
Many thanks for reading and any answers - even if partial.

The following users liked this post:
JAMADOR (04-16-2024)
Old 04-16-2024, 06:57 AM
JAMADOR
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Following, as I believe my [yet to be picked up] R57 has a suspected dead amp.