Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

I know, Not Another Windshield Question...

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2004, 10:45 AM
solidgold
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know, Not Another Windshield Question...

Hello all,

I know everyone's probably sick of hearing of cracked windshields, but I need some opinions/info/ammo so I know what to say when I get to the dealer. I have an '03 Cooper, and my first oil change is next week. This past weekend I drove from here in NJ to NC to visit my sister who's being deployed to Iraq. On the way down, my friend and I heard a crack sound, like a rock hitting the windshield, but we didn't see anything. So we figured all was well. An hour more into the trip, he says, I have news, your windshield is cracked. Sure enough, there was a crack that went from the bottom middle of the windshield, up, and then to the passenger side. The rest of the trip down we watched that little sucker spread further and further to the right. Upon inspection though, the only nick or damage there is is located on the bottom area of the crack and it is literally, just about the size of the point of a fine point pen. I mean, it is a REALLY small nick. And it's actually below the wiper, which means if it was a rock, I am an extremely unlucky person to have that rock hit in that small space and not bounce off the wiper. Anyway, I have an appointment at MINI of the Main Line in PA, and I'm not sure what to expect as far as whether or not this would be a warranty fix. I would like to think it is, due to the numerous posts about MINI's questionable windshield quality. And I can't figure out how such a small nick could cause such a huge crack. I've seen people with practically bullet hole sized divets in their windshield that don't crack as much as mine did. If we're talking about the pen test that I've heard about, I think it would probably catch a pen tip, but just barely. I'm attaching pics, one from the inside that shows the crack well, and one from the outside. I marked the nick with a circle. It's so small that it's really hard to see in pics, but one of those dirt flecks in the pic is actually the nick. I put the white sticker on to gauge whether or not it was spreading, and the band-aid because it's funny. (the crack goes down all the way under the frame)
Sorry for the long winded post, but I just wanted to know what people thought so when I go to the dealer I know whether I should have a leg to stand on. I have the feeling that without being prepared, they're just going to say it was a rock, and walk all over me. Thanks everyone.
(I'm sort of new to posting, so if you see no pics, I apologize.)

Old 08-19-2004, 08:33 PM
Prw3
3rd Gear
The dealer isnt going to offer any comfort in regard to your winshield, its not their fault that a rock hit it. Yes the factory windshields are rumored to be soft but they meet the current DOT spec and thats that. Talk to your insurance about what it will take to get your windshield deductable down as little as $50.00, Im with State Farm and it was only $30 per year to lower my WS deductable. Like many I'm on my second WS and Im sure it wont be the last nor yours.

Originally Posted by solidgold
Hello all,

I know everyone's probably sick of hearing of cracked windshields, but I need some opinions/info/ammo so I know what to say when I get to the dealer. I have an '03 Cooper, and my first oil change is next week. This past weekend I drove from here in NJ to NC to visit my sister who's being deployed to Iraq. On the way down, my friend and I heard a crack sound, like a rock hitting the windshield, but we didn't see anything. So we figured all was well. An hour more into the trip, he says, I have news, your windshield is cracked. Sure enough, there was a crack that went from the bottom middle of the windshield, up, and then to the passenger side. The rest of the trip down we watched that little sucker spread further and further to the right. Upon inspection though, the only nick or damage there is is located on the bottom area of the crack and it is literally, just about the size of the point of a fine point pen. I mean, it is a REALLY small nick. And it's actually below the wiper, which means if it was a rock, I am an extremely unlucky person to have that rock hit in that small space and not bounce off the wiper. Anyway, I have an appointment at MINI of the Main Line in PA, and I'm not sure what to expect as far as whether or not this would be a warranty fix. I would like to think it is, due to the numerous posts about MINI's questionable windshield quality. And I can't figure out how such a small nick could cause such a huge crack. I've seen people with practically bullet hole sized divets in their windshield that don't crack as much as mine did. If we're talking about the pen test that I've heard about, I think it would probably catch a pen tip, but just barely. I'm attaching pics, one from the inside that shows the crack well, and one from the outside. I marked the nick with a circle. It's so small that it's really hard to see in pics, but one of those dirt flecks in the pic is actually the nick. I put the white sticker on to gauge whether or not it was spreading, and the band-aid because it's funny. (the crack goes down all the way under the frame)
Sorry for the long winded post, but I just wanted to know what people thought so when I go to the dealer I know whether I should have a leg to stand on. I have the feeling that without being prepared, they're just going to say it was a rock, and walk all over me. Thanks everyone.
(I'm sort of new to posting, so if you see no pics, I apologize.)

Old 08-19-2004, 11:53 PM
lotsie
Banned
After 25k miles of highway driving my windscreen is starting to get pitted,and I have taken a few good shots from rocks,boy is that loud.Had one filled by the window fix guys.No cracks so far.I have 0 deductable on glass replacement.Also 0 deduction on critter collision.

Old 08-20-2004, 09:01 AM
solidgold
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Prw3
The dealer isnt going to offer any comfort in regard to your winshield, its not their fault that a rock hit it. Yes the factory windshields are rumored to be soft but they meet the current DOT spec and thats that. Talk to your insurance about what it will take to get your windshield deductable down as little as $50.00, Im with State Farm and it was only $30 per year to lower my WS deductable. Like many I'm on my second WS and Im sure it wont be the last nor yours.
The nick is so small it's unbelievable that that's acceptable for it to crack that much. My insurance deductible is $1,000 for that kind of repair, and I already pay exorbitant insurance rates. I'm a 21 year old male driver in NJ, so the insurance route is not the way for me to go. I hope the dealer isn't that harsh. Some people are on their 6th windshields, so it's not just the rocks' fault.