Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Test drives: different shift feel?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 07:11 PM
GimmeBoost
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Test drives: different shift feel?

I've test driven two R50s now. The first was a 2006, the second was a 2005. Similar miles: 115k and 128k respectively. The 2005 was a much better car in terms of condition, but one thing that stuck out at me was the shift mechanism. I don't recall having any particular issues finding gears in the 2006, but the 2005 shifter felt "vague" somehow.

It's tough to describe, but I had trouble finding the third gear gate when shifting from 2nd to 3rd and from 4th to 3rd on multiple occasions. I also was never completely positive I had it in first. I tried starting off in 3rd once or twice. Gears just seemed plain difficult to locate. I'm used to rwd cars with shift levers rather than cables. If this were a Getrag in a BMW I'd suspect that the detents needed servicing. Is this a sign that the cable shift parts need to be replaced or might it be something more ominous?

The rest of the car seemed fine, quite nice really. Original clutch, but it didn't shudder and grabbed just fine. I'm having trouble convincing the current owner to bring it someplace for a PPI (no place real close to her, she's been using a regular mechanic), but if I can get an answer on the transmission I'll feel a lot better about moving on this.

Thanks.

Old 10-18-2015, 04:38 PM
BuffMyRadius
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I'm coming from R53land so take everything I'm about to say with a grain of salt.

I recently replaced the shift cables on my Mini after one of the grommets that clicks onto the shift spindles on the transmission finally fell apart at 180K miles, leaving me with only 2nd, 4th, and 6th gear for a while. The shifter had been fairly vague previous to this, but I have dealt with a fair share of sloppy shifters in my time.

Replacing the cables was like getting a new car. I'm not 100% sure what component along the cables was responsible for this change but I would be willing to bet that the grommets are toast on the transmission end of the cables.

I once encountered an R53 with a messed up reverse lockout. I got a big surprise when I tried to start off quickly from a light and launched the car in reverse! Fortunately there weren't other cars around to hit (or be embarrassed by) but my dad had a hearty laugh at my expense riding with me.