Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

OBD Scanners, which one?!?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 05:19 AM
BucksCountyR57
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OBD Scanners, which one?!?

So... I have done some research on here as well as out on the web through various searches. So far I have narrowed it down to 2.
1. http://www.bavariantechnic.com/modelfeaturematrix.aspx
I love how specialized and specific this tool is to BMW and Mini. However, what has me on the fence about it is the lack of reviews I am finding about it. The ones I have found said it has been a bear to deal with or hasn't been working properly at all. So that does have me concerned. But there have been some success stories about how it works and when it does....its phenomenal (WHEN, it works).

2. https://www.autoenginuity.com/
I have seen plenty of reviews on this, mostly good. I have even stumbled upon videos of how to use it, how well it does, etc. My concern (for lack of better terms) is how broad and generalized this tool seems to be. It covers everything from ford, to bwm to jag.

Has anyone ever specifically used any of these two mentioned above or have a friend who is using one and likes it?
My gut tells me to get autoenginuity because of the many reviews and how easy it was to find good experiences with it... but the other side of me tells me to go with the specialized tool. I mean you wouldn't go to a podiatrist for a heart problem would you?

Any way I have been thinking about getting one for a little while now but what sparked this whole thing to move faster was a random CEL the other day that ended up going away after 5 min hasn't come back sense.

2011 MCS R57

Old 10-05-2015, 05:28 AM
jamez
5th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
I'm an R53 guy, and I have my share of codes.
I don't have experience with these devices, but I do with some others.

It's good you can see the matrix of what will work and not work for you with the first device, because for the R53 - it's not worth it at all. It's just a basic reader with a few non-essential perks.

I just wanted to say that it looks like you're going about it the right way: research the specifics that each device can handle before pulling the trigger.

Good luck

Old 10-07-2015, 12:14 PM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
AutoEnginuity Complete OBDII Diagnostic Tool is a very good tool. Lots of really good information about it and what it can do at that link. The AutoEnginuity software has several different screens that allow you to monitor the system in real-time. The live data screen can be customized to show any one of the OBD-II sensors. You can output oxygen sensor voltages, engine RPM, coolant temperature, ignition timing advance, intake air temperature, or a host of other sensor values. The software allows you to capture and freeze the data or log it to your local hard drive. Good review of the tool in this article here.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST