Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

R55 2010 Clubman S P0012 Camshaft Position/TIming Issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 05:45 PM
Fische
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R55 2010 Clubman S P0012 Camshaft Position/TIming Issue

I have seen A LOT on info in this forum on the trouble code P0012 Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Retarded and have a couple questions. I could have asked in each forum but they appear to be older and dead-end with another question that never got answered. The closest dealer is an hour away and without driving capabilities I cant really take it there. The car has about 80000 miles on it.

My symptoms: Recently identified low oil level in the car. Did a complete oil and filter change. Car had recently been sputtering from a stop in the first and second gears during acceleration. Check engine (yellow light) indicator came on so I went to AutoZone and got the P0012 code. Slowly drove the car home and now it will not accellerate and acts like it wants to stall. The previous tank of gas, I accidentally put regular gas in it. Normally I use premium. I filled it with premium and put Chevron Techron in it to try and compensate for the lower grade gas. I am still on that tank of gas (premium and Techron)

I've seen 4 recurring fixes to this problem in the formus.

1- VANOS solenoid valve on the engine.
2- Camshaft position sensors
3- Timing Chain tensioner
4- Timing belt and guide

My approach is going to be to change the solenoid valve then the camshaft position sensors as this looks like the easiest start. Does anyone have pictures of the camshaft position sensor locations or the solenoid location?

I may think about doing the tensioner if sensors and valves do not work. Is that hard to do? I've seen that it may be necesssary to lock the camshaft/engine to replace the tensioner. What is the real procedure and is it necessary to lock the engine if the car remains stationary?

If that fails I guess I will bite the bullet and have it towed to the dealer for a timing chain and guide replacement.

Is this approach crazy to anyone? Also, is there any advice I can get from someone who has done any of this work? Are there any service bulletins/recalls that may cover this work? Im just really frustrated because it was not 3 months ago I replaced the thermostat housing. Why does it seem that the same problem happens to every MINI and why cant they get it right and take care of their engineering mishaps? Could it be something else?

I would also like to know part numbers from anyone who has done this that fixed the problem.

Tnanks in adavance,
Nick

Old 09-29-2014, 05:59 PM
gregsmini
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nick, I'm afraid you're being a parts changer which can get very expensive. I had my timing chain cassette replaced last week at an independent shop near me for app. $800. My chain slack was measured and out of spec @ 90K miles. I bought my MINI new and have performed good maintenance and care.

At 80k miles I would guess you're in the market for the timing chain to be replaced if it's the original. But...you really need to have the problem diagnosed before changing a bunch of parts that may be fine.

I Googled Mini Cooper repairs in Maine and quickly came up with three independent shops. I would check them out and give them a call for advice.

Old 10-02-2014, 06:06 PM
Fische
1st Gear
Had the MINI towed to a local shop. The diagnosis indicated that the camshaft sensor needed replaced and that the turbo diverter (???) needs replaced. I cannot find much info on the diverter and I'm not sure if the diverter would cause my issues. Any Thoughts? Work will cost around $600 between towing, diagnostics and labor to this point but I am leery it will be fixed because of my lack of knowledge on the diverter.

Old 10-03-2014, 03:25 PM
Fische
1st Gear
Another call today and the timing belt stretched too far and damaged/broke the guides. That will be $1600-1800 the phone message said. This after I just replaced the thermostat housing. WHAT NEXT? Any car should be able to get more than 80,000 miles wihtout this many problems.

Old 10-06-2014, 08:52 PM
bluefox280
6th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Fische
Any car should be able to get more than 80,000 miles without this many problems.
That's assuming proper ownership and preventative maintenance was followed.

- Erik

Old 10-07-2014, 12:43 AM
Fische
1st Gear
Everything has been followed since I have owned it.

Old 10-09-2014, 03:40 PM
bluefox280
6th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Everything has been followed since I have owned it.
When did you start owning it?
Most long-term damage is done by the first owner if they neglect or fail to complete proper preventative maintenance.

- Erik

Old 10-12-2014, 09:12 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Another call today and the timing belt stretched too far and damaged/broke the guides. That will be $1600-1800 the phone message said. This after I just replaced the thermostat housing. WHAT NEXT? Any car should be able to get more than 80,000 miles wihtout this many problems.
That's a good price for a timing chain assembly, I paid $1600 for my new timing chain, new tensioner and guides at a dealer that charges $165 per hour for labor. Parts were $289.99.

Old 04-18-2018, 09:13 AM
Kenji5000
Neutral
I'm having the same P0012 code in my 2010 Mini Clubman 1.4/Auto...Yellow check Engine light comes on, but then turns off a day later. A few weeks later, it does same thing.
Thought maybe bad gas, but I always go to Chevron, use Supreme.
There's no hesitation or erratic engine issues.
No loss of MPG.

Was looking at videos on ease of replacement of VANOS Solenoid--maybe that is issue?

Any input would be awesome as I am a bit of a noob and would like to diagnose as much as possible before S**T hits the fan...