Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

2007 Base R56 MC misfire diagnostics?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 05:03 PM
GettingIt
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 Base R56 MC misfire diagnostics?

Hello,

My Base 2007 MC (no longer under warranty) recently started acting up last week where the engine would “shake” the car quite a bit. Check Engine Light turned on (blinked yellow for a few times and then remained lit yellow).

OBD II scanner confirmed it’s due to misfires and shows P0300 and P0301 as “CURRENT FAULT”s. It also shows P0302 and B2AAA as “PENDING FAULT”s. I still cannot find what the B2AAA means.

I’ve read the following:

http://www.obd-codes.com/p0300
http://www.obd-codes.com/p0301
http://www.obd-codes.com/p0302

and some of MINI has issued campaign/recall to replace timing chains! (which I never got contacted by the dealership if that ended up being a recall almost a year ago). I also read about some warranty extension to the HPFP (High Pressure Fuel Pump?) to become 10 years.

I also read about possibility due to bad gas (needing to decarb?) and I have been using Chevron Premium. The car has about 65K miles

I understand that there can be many possibilities.

What would be the suggested sequence of manual diagnostics that somebody would take from the standpoint of inspecting the various possible culprits? Is there a video tutorial that shows how one would proceed to diagnose a “misfiring” problem?

As a side note, this MC was also recently repaired due to being rear-ended a few months ago. Besides having the complete tailgate and bumper replaced, they also replaced the muffler (don’t recall how much of the exhaust mechanism was replaced, but it was bent sideways due to the impact).

From the description of the OBD codes, I see both “Burned exhaust valve” and “Faulty catalytic converter(s)”. If those weren’t replaced, could they also have been damaged due to the impact that bent the exhaust? Are there video tutorials that show how to visually inspect these from the bottom of the car?

I’m trying to understand the possibilities first before contacting any shop/dealership.

And, is it unsafe to drive the car for about 15 miles to reach a shop/dealership? Will it cause further damage?

Thank you in advance for reading and for any suggestions/pointers.