Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Help with coolant leak, Water Pump - Thermostat pipe

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 06:31 PM
mona912
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replaced the cheapy plastic pipe

I just had a local mechanic here replaced the plastic water pipe behind the water pump. At first we thought it was the water pump, turned out the plastic pipe was worn out where the O-rings were. I mean this plastic pipe should be made of metal don't you think? I paid $495 to have that replace, the part itself is cheap, the labor was the one that got me

Anyway I wish I am all hands on my Mini like you guys are, at least I'm learning something new here every time I login. I was also advised to sell my Mini once it reaches 100,000 miles. Right now I have 89,000 miles on it. Reason I was advised to get rid of it, transmission problem. Is the mechanic right?

Originally Posted by bisnitch
Replace the junk plastic water pump while you're in there. I would suspect that it's either this tube or the o-rings.

I thought that my new metal water pump was leaking (even after so much RTV silicone sealant). It wasn't it was this tube (http://new.minimania.com/part/G2NME1...0-61-Cooper--S) and/or the o-ring. Just inspect it while you have everything torn down.

Save yourself a lot of heartache. Still cheaper than the stealership.

Old 09-29-2014, 07:00 PM
bisnitch
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The automatic Mini's are crap. You can flush the transmissions but realistically you should own an S manual. I'm clocking in 165k on my '07 and it's going strong after adjusting to 3000-5000 mile oil change time line. I ride it like I stole it too but do what you want.

Old 09-29-2014, 10:33 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by bisnitch
The automatic Mini's are crap. You can flush the transmissions but realistically you should own an S manual. I'm clocking in 165k on my '07 and it's going strong after adjusting to 3000-5000 mile oil change time line. I ride it like I stole it too but do what you want.
A lot of the high mileage Mini's still driving around with 100,000-150,000 miles are manuals, these days engines have a longer lifespan than transmissions.

Old 07-05-2015, 04:57 PM
phenams
1st Gear

S damn then my leak after the new water was installed n went thru the head ache was just this damn water pipe..... Arrggh....well after i swaped out the old WP there was this black rubber kind of oring but it was broken off didnt give it much thought till now that im reading these post. Fml. Gots to buy this. =). This is why i love forums.

This rubber inside

You could see a lilttle better here of what im saying

Last edited by phenams; 07-05-2015 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Added picture
Old 07-05-2015, 08:59 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Looks like you have to remove the thermostat housing also because it's locked onto the center pipe with a metal clip which you'll see once the thermostat housing is removed. If your thermostat housing has mileage now is the time.

I feel your misery!

@phenams Great pics!

Old 07-06-2015, 05:34 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Yea, the water pipe on the one end has a O ring that goes into the back of the water pump mount on the engine side.

Like system lord said the the pipe sandwiches between the two.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 07-09-2015, 01:04 PM
phenams
1st Gear
thanks @systemlord yeah took off the thermostat off the get to the pipe n indeed was broken. ... I got the new one but now i want to take down the water pump again to make sure i get that rest of the water pipe out. Tomorrow i guess.

New n old

N thanks too @ecstunning figure they would be sandwiched inbetween

Old 07-10-2015, 07:33 AM
bisnitch
2nd Gear
Mine looked very similar to your's. It looked like it had corroded away. I wouldn't drop and re-do the water pump looking for parts. I'd probably just do a coolant flush. Remember always use distilled water! Here is a good read about coolant in general.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...ant_Change.htm
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...i-coolant.html

Old 07-10-2015, 07:35 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Originally Posted by phenams
thanks @systemlord yeah took off the thermostat off the get to the pipe n indeed was broken. ... I got the new one but now i want to take down the water pump again to make sure i get that rest of the water pipe out. Tomorrow i guess.

New n old

You are welcome.

Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 07-10-2015, 02:33 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear

New n old

Excellent, I had a suspicion that your leak was running down the length of the pipe because the pumps end of the pipe would have looked like the other end if it were a problem and you would have seen it. Glad you got it worked out.

Old 10-12-2015, 10:17 AM
nomar116
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Can this water pipe be installed without much disassembly?

I was replacing the thermostat and broke the water pipe's tab on the thermostat end when I was trying to install the clip. I was disappointed until I realized the other end of the water pipe was super loose. I gave it a tug and it disintegrated and came out. A bunch of fluid had been leaking on that side of the motor during the change and this failing pipe was definitely the culprit.

Will I be able to line this thing up and push it into place from the thermostat side of the motor? I can get under the car and SEE where it attaches but I definitely can reach it... Also, any tips on installing the little clip for the thermostat side? The thermostat's o-ring makes it a real PITA to push into place.

Old 10-12-2015, 11:22 AM
bisnitch
2nd Gear
It wasn't too bad to install the pipe, way better than replacing the water pump twice, strip the head off of one of the bolts after you couldn't find how it was still leaking. Then again everything seems easier after that. If I remember right, you just need to free up what was connected on the right side (driver's side) to the tube but you should be able to snake it into place. I wish someone made a upgraded piece that wasn't plastic but my dealership had it.

Old 12-29-2015, 03:52 PM
Robert Pritchard
1st Gear
question:

How did you get to the pipe bolts for the hangar tab? Need to know what I need to do to get it out. Don't really want to pull the intake.

Old 12-30-2015, 05:08 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Great info in this thread also how to pull it out and reach everything.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...html?styleid=7