Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

How do I remove the water tube?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 03:10 PM
Samhillrocks
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do I remove the water tube?

Hello everyone. I am in the process of replacing the water pump and thermostat housing on my '07 Mini Cooper. I have to replace the water tube that runs between the two (I broke the end tab that holds the clip in removal of the thermostat). How do I get the water tube out of the water pump housing? I tried pulling, but stopped before I broke something else! Many thanks.

Old 04-08-2013, 03:22 PM
millerb7
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Samhillrocks
Hello everyone. I am in the process of replacing the water pump and thermostat housing on my '07 Mini Cooper. I have to replace the water tube that runs between the two (I broke the end tab that holds the clip in removal of the thermostat). How do I get the water tube out of the water pump housing? I tried pulling, but stopped before I broke something else! Many thanks.
Have a picture of it by chance? I just did this on my BMW not to long ago and I'm pretty sure they are almost identical. If I see a pic it'll spark my memory

Old 04-08-2013, 06:50 PM
Samhillrocks
Neutral
The rear of the water pump housing, water tube in center

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 04-08-2013, 06:53 PM
Samhillrocks
Neutral
The thermostat housing end of the water tube

Name:  IMG00157-20130408-2106_zps8c361c4d.jpg
Views: 4618
Size:  44.0 KB

Old 04-09-2013, 08:39 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
Here is a picture of the Water Pipe "tube" .

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/11537589713/

There is a clip on the end that hold the pipe to the thermostat housing connection . Its separate from the part. Pull the clip and it should come off the slot. Then the thermostat housing can be separated. Did you disconnect the thermostat housing completetly from the engine head / coolant hoses / harness connections ?

Clip.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/11537548652/ES25118/

Water Pipe connection to thermostat housing on the rear side bottom.

Thermostat housing:

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/11537534521/ES25098/

Thanks hope that helps.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 04-09-2013, 08:47 AM
Samhillrocks
Neutral
ECS, thanks! I broke the plastic where the clip slides into the tube--either while removing the clip or when pushing (too hard) to get the new thermostat housing back into the hole. I've ordered the tube. But how do I get the end out of the water pump housing (the far end in your photo?) Do I just pull on it? Does it twist out?

Thank you.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:49 AM
millerb7
2nd Gear
You just pull. It's on there good and tight. I used a flat-head to help pry it... but it'll come off.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:59 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
I would work it and try to rock it a little and it should release. They tend to stick.

Make sure the pipe is disconnected.

Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172

Last edited by ECSTuning; 04-09-2013 at 11:08 AM.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:37 AM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
ECS what is your name? Do you own/drive a MINI?

Old 04-09-2013, 09:57 AM
Samhillrocks
Neutral
From the tube photo above it appears that there are three "tabs" on the side of the pipe. Are these fastened to something? Do I need to remove other parts to get to the tabs?

Old 08-07-2013, 10:32 AM
david despain
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
do you have to remove the thermostat housing to get this tube out?

Old 08-07-2013, 10:38 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
The tube is sandwiched between the waterpump housing on the engine side and the back of the thermostat housing and then held in place with that spring clip. Its hard to remove the tube without the thermostat housing removed because things are so tight in the back under the intake manifold.

Old 12-04-2013, 10:09 AM
RootPhisher
Neutral
How do you get the tube to seat properly on the water pump side with the o-ring?

Old 09-15-2014, 05:26 AM
Ironmansoltero
Neutral
I'm in the process of going in reverse order how do you put the tube and o-ring back on to the water pump?

Old 09-15-2014, 06:25 AM
1qwkmini
3rd Gear
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
Just lube the O-ring with some silicone grease and it will slide in easily--much easier to install than to remove. Silicone grease only--others will cause the O-ring to swell and cause problems.

Old 11-09-2014, 06:02 AM
knappy4181
Neutral
Has anyone actually removed the water tube. Ive replaced the thermostat and was unsuccessful removing the tube due to not enough room right of the motor. The water tube is longer than the actual space you have to work with. There is too much stuff in the way. I attempted to remove the intake manifold and I broke something on the manifold in the process and now cant get that removed. Any suggestions. I'm refusing to pay $450 to replace a $2.35 part.

Old 05-26-2015, 06:00 PM
scmini09
Neutral
Originally Posted by knappy4181
Has anyone actually removed the water tube. Ive replaced the thermostat and was unsuccessful removing the tube due to not enough room right of the motor. The water tube is longer than the actual space you have to work with. There is too much stuff in the way. I attempted to remove the intake manifold and I broke something on the manifold in the process and now cant get that removed. Any suggestions. I'm refusing to pay $450 to replace a $2.35 part.
When I replaced the thermostat, I was not able to remove the water pipe also and ended up damage couple of the end plastic tap on the pipe. After understanding the pipe is sandwiches between thermostat and water pump. I left the pipe as the damaged plastic tab does not really serve securing the pipe. It is the thermostat housing and pump to squeeze in position as long as no damage to the o-ring portion. I should have just pull the thermostat housing out instead of using screw driver to pry it out from the pipe slowly (is a known common mistake that the plastic housing of the fitting of this type of tube or pipe is very brittle). Now I have leak from water pump after thermostat replaced 3 months ago!

Old 05-26-2015, 10:48 PM
SteveJ
3rd Gear
Yep. That plastic gets brittle after several years and heat cycles. Mine shattered even when I was being careful. A good reason to replace the plastic bits after many years.

As hard as it was to get it free, the new one went into place very easy. So easy, that I didn't trust it would seal. I had to pull it off and re-seat it a couple of times to build up some confidence.

I pressure tested the cooling system and all seemed to hold fine. No leaks yet after the cylinder head job.

Old 10-12-2015, 10:24 AM
nomar116
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Steve, Did you reinstall this pipe with the intake manifold in place? I am in the exact same position. Pipe broke and pulled out into pieces, on my way to grab a new one.

Seems tricky...

Originally Posted by SteveJ
Yep. That plastic gets brittle after several years and heat cycles. Mine shattered even when I was being careful. A good reason to replace the plastic bits after many years.

As hard as it was to get it free, the new one went into place very easy. So easy, that I didn't trust it would seal. I had to pull it off and re-seat it a couple of times to build up some confidence.

I pressure tested the cooling system and all seemed to hold fine. No leaks yet after the cylinder head job.

Old 10-12-2015, 12:36 PM
SteveJ
3rd Gear
I was in the process of re-installing the cylinder head when I swapped out the water pipe. So, I did not have the intake in place when I installed the pipe. As I recall, the only tricky bits on the intake are getting a good grip on some of the hose/electrical connections underneath, and then that HIDDEN mounting screw.

One thing I did notice was that the new pipe seemed to slip into place at the water pump very easy. So much so that I didn't trust that it was really in place. I had to wait until most everything was in place before I could pressure test the system which, thankfully, was fine.

Part of my reasoning on my job was that with the cylinder head out I would not normally have this opportunity for ease of access. I replaced every plastic and rubber bit I could see under there.

Old 10-15-2015, 07:08 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
The pipe can stick a little in the back hole of that water pump and you might have to work it out a bit.

Old 10-16-2015, 10:54 AM
coachvminis
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by knappy4181
Yes I have,, I just did this Job...not easy..but I did it...
I removed the screws atop the intake and pulled back a little....
I did not remove it (intake Mani)....certainly a PITA... My inlet water pipe was broken inside the water pump....pieces all inside...I noticed after I changed the water pump and was still leaking fluid so I did the job twice...and found the broken pipe inside the pump...so damn stupid of BMW making this line plastic...really an engineering boo boo for damn sure...

Old 10-16-2015, 04:29 PM
nomar116
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by coachvminis
Yes I have,, I just did this Job...not easy..but I did it...
I removed the screws atop the intake and pulled back a little....
I did not remove it (intake Mani)....certainly a PITA... My inlet water pipe was broken inside the water pump....pieces all inside...I noticed after I changed the water pump and was still leaking fluid so I did the job twice...and found the broken pipe inside the pump...so damn stupid of BMW making this line plastic...really an engineering boo boo for damn sure...
I just completed this job a few days ago. I was also able to do it with the intake in place.

I bought at thermostat from Ebay and installed it. The thermostat bleeder screw actually broke while trying to bleed the system, the tip of the screw was still stuck in the hole!

It was when I was pulling the system apart the second time that I noticed coolant had begun leaking near the water pump. As I was reinstalling a replacement thermostat (OEM) I broke the tab on the water pipe that clips it to the thermostat. While I was upset, I realized the water pipe seemed VERY loose. I got a solid grip on it and gave it a tug. The pipe popped out pretty easily and the o-ring end was in shambles. I think it was cracked, barely hanging on, and leaking.

Anyway, I was able to install the new one by getting it into place and then slowly pushing it into place from above the car. I would then climb under the car and take a look at the connection to make sure it was seating well. The pipe actually went in a little crooked at first. I had to push harder on the opposite side to get the oring in the inlet and for it to seat well.

I was lucky that I was confident (~95% ) that there all the plastic had fallen out of the inlet. I just verified I had all the little plastic pieces after pulling the pipe.

Over to you if you want to do it the same way. Car is driving great now! Not so sure about that cheap Ebay thermostat...

Old 11-09-2015, 01:57 PM
tag1260
4th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I just pulled my tube out of the engine trying to get the thermostat end lined up and the o-ring fell out. How do I access it to replace it without dismantling more of the engine? My tube seems to have some wires attached to it that I can't get it loose. HELP!!!!!!!

Old 11-09-2015, 01:59 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Which O ring ? Into the back of the water pipe ( passenger side ) or the on on the thermostat housing ? There should not be any wire unless you moved the pipe and bumped some of the wire under the intake manifold.

Quick Reply: How do I remove the water tube?