Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Need some advice regarding gas tank issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 07:00 AM
RockAZ
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by millerb7
He said, "We replaced the rule tank. We are thinking something possibly with the check ball not responding correctly."

Those were his exact words in the text he sent me.
Going to need a better manual, anyone have any thoughts on what they did? And more importantly, let us know if it worked!

Old 02-28-2014, 08:50 AM
millerb7
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RockAZ
Going to need a better manual, anyone have any thoughts on what they did? And more importantly, let us know if it worked!
Will do... now it's just wait and burn up gas so I can refill the tank to see how it goes.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:25 AM
millerb7
2nd Gear
UPDATE:

Okay, so they replaced the entire gas tank last time around... just filled up again, BAM, same issue.

So far they have replaced the charcoal filter and the gas tank itself. No fix yet. Mini back at dealership for the 3rd time now for exact same issue.

Old 07-26-2017, 05:15 PM
Jon@TheMshop
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Millerb7,

Sorry to bump up such an old thread but was your issue ever resolved? I have a 2013 Countryman S with a DMTL fault code and it was contaminated with fuel. The charcoal canister was even filled with fuel. I'm going to recommend the customer to replace the DMTL pump and charcoal canister but need to find out why excessive fuel is entering his charcoal canister. The car only has 20,957 miles and the customer says that he never tops off his fuel tank.

- Jon

Old 07-27-2017, 08:02 AM
Jon@TheMshop
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
millerb7,

was this problem ever resolved?

Old 10-25-2021, 10:15 AM
torsed_bosons
Neutral
I'd also like to know if this was ever resolved. There is a service bulletin for gas tank vent valve failure (presumably that is the "ball") for 2014 models. There's also an extended warranty for EVAP solenoid/valve under the hood, but in my research this should throw a CEL.

My vehicle has started doing the same, won't fill up and even when filling with a gas can, fuel refluxes out after 1/10th of a gallon. I disconnected the EVAP solenoid (front passenger side under hood) and it still wouldn't take gas. Then I disconnected the charcoal canister (near exhaust on rear drivers side under vehicle) and there were no charcoal pellets in the line. I blew air into the gas tank via the tank vent line, which perhaps temporarily unstuck the tank ball valve and allowed me to fuel up...for now. Unfortunately mine is 2015 and not included in the service bulletin so not eligible for free fuel tank replacement.

Old 12-15-2021, 11:58 AM
dkhorse74
Neutral
Originally Posted by torsed_bosons
I'd also like to know if this was ever resolved. There is a service bulletin for gas tank vent valve failure (presumably that is the "ball") for 2014 models. There's also an extended warranty for EVAP solenoid/valve under the hood, but in my research this should throw a CEL.

My vehicle has started doing the same, won't fill up and even when filling with a gas can, fuel refluxes out after 1/10th of a gallon. I disconnected the EVAP solenoid (front passenger side under hood) and it still wouldn't take gas. Then I disconnected the charcoal canister (near exhaust on rear drivers side under vehicle) and there were no charcoal pellets in the line. I blew air into the gas tank via the tank vent line, which perhaps temporarily unstuck the tank ball valve and allowed me to fuel up...for now. Unfortunately mine is 2015 and not included in the service bulletin so not eligible for free fuel tank replacement.
I'm having the exact same issue as of today.. Can you tell me where the "tank vent line" is located? or if you have a pic? I'm going to try and shoot air into to hopefully free the tank ball valve..

Old 12-24-2021, 02:19 PM
torsed_bosons
Neutral
Originally Posted by dkhorse74
I'm having the exact same issue as of today.. Can you tell me where the "tank vent line" is located? or if you have a pic? I'm going to try and shoot air into to hopefully free the tank ball valve..
The line is under all the silly plastic shielding in the driver's (left) rear of the vehicle. The gas tank is behind the passenger rear wheel well. You don't need to take the plastic shielding off of it, but you will see a rubber hose going from that direction to a black plastic canister/box (charcoal canister). That cannister then has a hose running toward the front of the vehicle to the EVAP (and I think another hose comes out, not sure what it does). I took the hose from the gas tank off the charcoal canister and blew into it with the gas cap open (and a screwdriver in the hinge underneath the gas cap to keep it open). I'm out of town, can try to post some pics when I get back. It is still working, knock on wood.

Old 12-24-2021, 08:09 PM
dkhorse74
Neutral
Originally Posted by torsed_bosons
The line is under all the silly plastic shielding in the driver's (left) rear of the vehicle. The gas tank is behind the passenger rear wheel well. You don't need to take the plastic shielding off of it, but you will see a rubber hose going from that direction to a black plastic canister/box (charcoal canister). That cannister then has a hose running toward the front of the vehicle to the EVAP (and I think another hose comes out, not sure what it does). I took the hose from the gas tank off the charcoal canister and blew into it with the gas cap open (and a screwdriver in the hinge underneath the gas cap to keep it open). I'm out of town, can try to post some pics when I get back. It is still working, knock on wood.
Thank you.. I used my compressor to blow through the small orfice near the gas filler and was able to fill gas right after with zero issues.. Hopefully, this was a one time ordeal. I did report this issue to the NHTSA. Not sure if it'll do any good but worth a try..

Old 05-29-2022, 03:50 PM
torsed_bosons
Neutral
Originally Posted by dkhorse74
Thank you.. I used my compressor to blow through the small orfice near the gas filler and was able to fill gas right after with zero issues.. Hopefully, this was a one time ordeal. I did report this issue to the NHTSA. Not sure if it'll do any good but worth a try..
Mine started malfunctioning again yesterday, 3 different gas station attempts and maybe a grand total of 1 gallon in (and some of that was spilled down the side of the car). I guess I'm going to have to do this procedure again. How long did yours last? If it happens another time, I might just have to she'll out for a new fuel tank assembly.