Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Is My Turbo Failing??

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 07:32 PM
scubbysnacks
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A sure sign your batteries no good is the clock keeps needing to be set if the car is left over night or even for shorter amounts of time i.e 00:00 along with a chime and message saying need to set time.

Old 10-20-2013, 09:32 PM
Luuker
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was looking for info about the trunk auto opening and I read about the battery. My clock is fine. I will have the battery tested when I take the car into the shop. I don't think the battery is going bad. Could be I guess.

Old 10-20-2013, 10:05 PM
scubbysnacks
4th Gear
In the long run it's going to help you a lot if you can read any codes that pop up. I use the torque app with a blue tooth dongle, using that with an internet connection it actually gives you the code and tells you what They mean. I was having problems with the car stuttering and backfiring on even slight acceleration and got 4 different codes used torque and with basic reasoning was able to fix it myself.

Old 10-20-2013, 10:10 PM
Luuker
1st Gear
That's what I have. Just got it all a few weeks ago. The only code in history is p115d. Not much help. I love being able to watch the telemetry of the car without installing gauges all over the dash.

That was also how I figured out where my boost was when I was loosing power.

Old 10-20-2013, 10:22 PM
scubbysnacks
4th Gear
OK did a goggle search and ended back at NAM the code is related to MAF/air flow first thing to check are your hoses and clamps looks like you have a leak some where.

Old 10-20-2013, 11:23 PM
Melangell
6th Gear
Originally Posted by FNFZ4
Why do you say that it might be failing. What are the symptoms you are experiencing?
Seriously???

Pics and twenty lines of text about his cars symptoms......

Old 11-02-2013, 02:31 PM
CarJunki
Neutral
The whistling noise is from your air intake. I autocross with a guy with a 10 coupe and his started whistling, almost howling after he put an air intake on it and when really got on it. He went to the dealer and they ran every test they could and could not determine anything wrong. (Fellow autocrosser works at the dealer ) it still does it and you always know when he is on course

Old 08-31-2017, 05:07 PM
tukeyr
Neutral
My turbo stop boostind

My turbo stop boosting anf make a whistle sound when i accelerate likee bruuuwww it has 47kmiles

Old 04-18-2020, 07:51 PM
RandehHorne
Neutral
did you ever figure It out?

Originally Posted by Luuker
UPDATE - So I finally got my ODBII bluetooth connector. I ran a check on all CEL's and the only thing that comes up is a P115D. Not much on the web regarding that one other than a few different chats in NAM about it. Not much help.

So, what have I noticed. I watch this thing as I drive and I noticed a few things. First, the boost pressure makes no sense to me at all! When I first start the car, at an idle the boost pressure is about -16 psi. When I drive it goes up, and when I REALLY drive it will hit a high of about 15.6 psi. To me, this looks like an almost 30 lb swing in pressure. I am not sure how it can be negative idling, but I am not a mechanic so it is what it is.

Now, I also noticed when driving, after the car has driven 5 miles or so, if I am driving aggressively, when the diverter valve blows, the boost drops to -23 psi briefly. Again this has me baffled even more since at an idle is around -16. When accelerating, power really doesn't FEEL strong until about 5 to 7 psi. I can hear the turbo spin up around -5 but I really don't feel it until 5.

How this relates to my problem - I was driving a few days ago and my problem happened again only this time I had my ODB connection on and was monitoring everything. So during acceleration the boost goes from -16 ish to 0 then stops! I could have my foot on the floor and the motor will still accelerate, but the boost pressure stays right around 0 to 1 psi. If I let off the gas it will blow off and go back to -16, but get back on it, and again it stays around 0 to 1. As the problem works itself out within a few miles, it will start to climb and the boost finally returns to normal around 15 to 16 psi. Again, there is no smoke, no CEL, no noises, no oil leaking, nothing out of the ordinary. Other than the loss of power, and the boost reading 0, you can't tell a difference. Keep in mind, when this happens, the boost is rising from -16 to 0 and stopping. So it looks like it is adding 16 psi, but until it goes positive, nothing is felt.

I did notice something that was small and appears to be getting bigger. Under NORMAL conditions, meaning when boost and everything seems to be working fine, when I accelerate in 1st & 2nd gears and let the RPM's climb to 5000+, there is a whistle kind of sound now. Only in the high rpm's though not the whole time and it only seems to be in the first two gears. Maybe by then I am upwards of 60 mph and do not push as hard in 3rd but I am wondering if this is some sort of leak. Maybe this sound ties into the other problem. They do not seem to happen at the same time but it appears to be turbo related I think.

hi I’m having the exact same problem as you described to the key the conditions you mentioned prior to the turbo failing are on normal had myi’m having the exact same problem as you described to the key to conditioned you mentioned prior to the turbo feeling are all normal I’ve had my OBD sensor that shows me all the information for over two years I’ve been chasing this problem I replaced the turbo half a dozen times the throttlebody intake down pipe and still the same problem.Just had it tuned replaced all the vacuum lines
discouraged

Old 12-10-2021, 10:00 AM
Josiah Vos
Neutral
2009 Mini Cooper S Turbo/Boost Problems

Hey everyone! I have had some problems with this car pretty much ever since I got the car and it is really starting to make me upset. First an ignition coil went bad and then on the way home from the shop 2 more coils went bad. Didn't even make it 5 miles!!! Replaced all ignition coils and spark plugs. My car has a K&N aftermarket air filter/intake and an aftermarket exhaust (I'm not exactly sure what kind of exhaust as the previous owner installed this). Even before the ignition coil problem, I had the same thing as the thread starter (I believe the username was LUUKE??). Pretty much fine in lower end power and you can hear the turbo (Not nearly as much as full boost but you can still hear it a little bit) but once you get above about 3.5/4 grand RPM the engine doesn't want to rev any higher. It allows it to rev higher but the turbo just acts like it isn't doing anything and is a dangerous amount of power loss. The first time it happened I happened to be passing a semi on a rural road and the semi had to slow down before the turn so that I wasn't passing on the turn. I even down shifted to try and get more power but it got worse! I ended up having to put it in 6th and have my foot to the floor just to get by the semi. When I let off I could instantly tell that the turbo was not producing full boost (Even more than almost not being able to pass a semi lol). I had it sent to a shop in my home town (Same shop that fixed the ignition coils/spark plugs) and they said they couldn't find anything wrong with it and so I go and pick up the car expecting a slow piece of crap and all of the sudden the car kicks up and acts like nothing even happened. I accidentally screeched the tires in town because I was not expecting this much power. Then about a week of it working fine later, it did the exact same thing again. Around this time some family challenges popped up and I didn't bother my dad about it to get it sent in. Still doing it yesterday and still today. Super annoying as I just want a fun car that works. It that really too much to ask for???? (Also it hasn't even been 3 months since I got this car) Someone help me please!!!