Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Horn went out?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 02:34 PM
BernieCoop
3rd Gear
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Horn went out?

I was just wondering if any other members have had their horn go bad on them. From what I have learned, the MINI has two horns, one low pitch (passengers side) and one high (drivers side), I believe the low pitch one is out on my MCS and it sounds like the high pitch isn't doing much better. I thought this was weird because I have never heard of a horn going out. Just checking for experiences and maybe a how-to because I'll be replacing probably both real soon. I don't even know where the horns are located...

Old 01-15-2013, 02:45 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Check
1. Fuse
2. Check connections for corrosion to the horns
3. Horns themselves.

Old 01-18-2013, 06:07 AM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
just got done doing some horn work on an 03-S

1. The horns are right next to the parking light/turn signals, one on either side of the bumper - you can see them thru the same access hole you get to the bulbs for the pl and ts. That's the good news. Bad news is the access is REALLY tight and try as I did for too long I just could not get the horn out thru that access. I was really really tempted to enlarge the hole a wee bit and then the horn could come out this way but owner didn't want that done. The 'book' way to get to the horns is to remove the bumper cover which is not that difficult {I have some DIY - part of the one kicking around for the Aero Grill replacement} .

2. If one of your horns is {kinda} working, then the fuse & relay must be OK. The electrical connector if still all OE is really tight and I doubt you're getting water intrusion - I tried to remove the horn from the top when I could not get my fingers in there to disconnect the wires - the single TORX holding the horn in place is easier to get to. I released this bolt which allowed me to flop the horn around and get easier access to the connector. You could verify the electrics are OK with a volt meter once you get the connector off.

3. I have talked to folks who's OE horns 'broke' ... it happens. The OE horns are nothing particularly fancy EXCEPT for the fancy OE wire connector. These Hella horns
http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...ortby=ourPicks

are an almost perfect match except for standard blade connectors. The OE horns are already on a relay so these horns could be a quick and easy swap - you just need to cut the OE connector off the end of the harness and crimp on generic connectors. (brown wires are ground - other wire is the power).

4. My 'customer's horns were still working, he wanted MORE and better sound. We added a set of the Hella's just referenced. This additional set of horns went in the void under the cowl on the pass side right against the firewall. We added a sep' relay so as to not overload the existing horn circuit since we were doubling the load - and just tapped one existing horn power wire as the new relay trigger. He now gets 4 horns when he pushes the button - lots of noise! This same location is where a lot of folks put a small set of air horns or even something like this
http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...ortby=ourPicks

Last edited by Capt_bj; 01-18-2013 at 06:17 AM.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:57 PM
BernieCoop
3rd Gear
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Thanks guys for the replies. I'll definitely be looking into this issue. I took a look and found the horns on each side. I checked the wiring and it appeared fine and checked out with a meter. I found a replacement OE horn on minimania.com and will pick up one of these (although those Hella ones look awesome, still a possibility) because the high pitch is working great now. Once again, thanks for all of the replies!

Old 01-20-2013, 02:55 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
2nd Gen horns fairly harmonic

Old 01-20-2013, 03:17 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
a. why do the cars have different sounds?

b. them ain't horns - these is horns

Name:  horny2.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  141.9 KB

http://www.stebel.it/stebel2009/prod...logia=musicale

I have River K on the 79