Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

PCV hose replaced = PCV valve replaced???

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2004, 07:41 AM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well last year I had an odd sound and the dealership diagnosed that the PCV valve hose had collapsed upon itself. I heard on the forum about that when the hose is replaced, that the PCV valve should be replaced as well. Can anyone give me an idea as to what can happen if the PCV valve is shot (could this lead to my sucky gas mileage I've been getting?)? What are some diagnostic things I can do myself to qualify whether or not the PCV valve needs to be replaced?

http://www.aminivacationinvegas.com/survey2.php

*edited* Changed PVC to PCV

Old 03-19-2004, 07:53 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
If the PVC hose is soft to the touch (it should be very firm rubber) or collapsed then it is that way because oil has gotten on it from the inside and broken down the rubber due to a bad PVC valve. When the hose is merely soft you may have no symptoms but when the hose collapses completely you may hear a sucking sound or feel loss of power.

If the hose is bad the valve is bad so ask for the PCV valve and hose to be replaced or in less than 6 months the hose will go bad again. This is a very common problem.

Old 03-19-2004, 08:03 AM
Bisch
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had my hose replaced a couple months ago. I got the sucky sound again. It sounds like you are stepping on a mouse when you hit the gas hard.

Old 03-19-2004, 08:06 AM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear
Thanks for the info...

How do I convince my service department that the PCV valve needs to be replaced? I just called and even though they have the old workorder in the system from when they replaced the hose, they won't replace the valve now!! What can I do to make them understand?

Can a bad PCV cause poor fuel economy?

Old 03-19-2004, 08:35 AM
BigBrownDog
4th Gear
Make sure you refer to it as the "PCV" valve, not the "PVC" valve.

"P"ositive "C"rankcase "V"entilation

If you really want to replace it, it can't be a very expensive part. Go to the parts counter and buy one. I remember with an older car I had that every time I would take it to one of the quick oil change places they were always trying to replace the PCV valve -- they would be charging around $7.00 for it. I don't know what the MINI valve costs.

Old 03-19-2004, 02:20 PM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear

OK, how do I actually check to see if it is bad?

Old 03-19-2004, 10:54 PM
bgrpph
3rd Gear
My hose soft and squishy-Dealer replaced hose only, would not replace valve even when asked-said hose is issue not valve.

Old 03-20-2004, 06:19 AM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear
>>My hose soft and squishy-Dealer replaced hose only, would not replace valve even when asked-said hose is issue not valve.

Which leads me back to the original question is HOW can I determine if the VALVE is bad??

Old 03-22-2004, 09:25 AM
Agro
Coordinator :: Sin City MINI Club & AMVIV
And your 2nd question still needs answering Dom, will a bad PCV valve and vacuum hose affect fuel economy? Anyone? Anyone?

Old 03-22-2004, 10:06 AM
greatgro
6th Gear
The part is under $10 I believe. I had Helix replace my valve.

Old 03-22-2004, 10:14 AM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear
Actually the part is nearly $20.00 and don't want to void that part of the warrantee by doing my own work. IF it is truly bad, it SHOULD be covered under warrantee and I shouldn't have to fork out my hard earned cash for someone else's problem. Which again leads me to, how do I check to see if it is bad?

Old 03-23-2004, 07:28 AM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear
Anyone? I'd like to know how to tell if the PCV valve is defective.

Old 03-23-2004, 07:31 AM
atn57
4th Gear
anyone with a picture of it?

thanks

tony

Old 03-23-2004, 07:41 AM
pwilk20
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
>>Anyone? I'd like to know how to tell if the PCV valve is defective.

Take the PCV valve off, shake it, if it rattles then it`s ok. If it sticks, no rattle, replace it. This is what all my previous vehicles called for. So, I assume, it`s the same for MINI.

Paul.

Old 03-23-2004, 07:59 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
here's a shadetree mechanic way to find out if your PCV valve is on the fritz:

If the PCV hose goes bad again!

Sounds typical of the dealership/MINIUSA to avoid the actual cause and replace the resultant. If they are stupid enough not to cooperate, buy a PCV valve from Classic MINI and install it yourself (shhh!, don't tell anyone!)

Old 03-23-2004, 04:40 PM
MINI-MadMan
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
>>anyone with a picture of it?
>>
>>
>>thanks
>>
>>tony

If you're looking for where the PCV valve is, it's on the left side of the valve cover if you're standing in front of the car. The hose is attached to it. If the hose goes bad, it'll be swollen and saturated.
Cheers,

Old 03-26-2004, 07:33 AM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear
Does anyone know how to check to see if the PCV valve is bad?
Does anyone know if a bad PCV would affect fuel economy?

Old 03-26-2004, 07:53 AM
10851CS
Former Vendor
>>Does anyone know how to check to see if the PCV valve is bad?
>>Does anyone know if a bad PCV would affect fuel economy?
>>
>>
I just had my hose replaced and printed some of the comments off this forum and showed it to them. My advisor said if the second hose did the same thing it was because the dealer did not use the NEW part number to do the replacement. He said my valve was good. I will give him a call a little later (when they open) and ask him how to tell if it is good or not and come back here and post what he says.

Work order states "Kazoo noise heard when engine is started" they replaced the hose and it is gone for now at least.

Earl

Old 03-26-2004, 08:03 AM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear
Thanks Earl, keep us posted! :smile: When they call you back, see if they might know about the MPG question.

Old 03-26-2004, 08:58 AM
CasaMini
2nd Gear
PCV valves are just a one way or check valve. To determine if valve is inop remove valve. Shake valve. Should hear or feel check ball rattle inside valve. If it rattles freely, then valve is OK. If it doesn't rattle, clean with gas, blow dry and check to see if it rattles again. If you can't get it to rattle, then replace. A bad or sticking PCV valve will cause engine pressure buildup. If the engine can't vent then it will find someplace else for the pressure to vent usually a seal. These thing rarely ever good bad. In fact there's nothing to good bad, they'll just stick because of dirty oil.

Old 03-26-2004, 09:05 AM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear
>>PCV valves are just a one way or check valve. To determine if valve is inop remove valve. Shake valve. Should hear or feel check ball rattle inside valve. If it rattles freely, then valve is OK. If it doesn't rattle, clean with gas, blow dry and check to see if it rattles again. If you can't get it to rattle, then replace. A bad or sticking PCV valve will cause engine pressure buildup. If the engine can't vent then it will find someplace else for the pressure to vent usually a seal. These thing rarely ever good bad. In fact there's nothing to good bad, they'll just stick because of dirty oil.

Thanks for the 411. pwilk20 said something similar but was unsure of if this was true for the MINI. Are you certain the MINI's PCV valve should behave like this? And exactly where is this valve located and how much engine disassembly is required? If I find it's sticky, then how can I determine if the pressure found other places to vent?

Old 03-26-2004, 09:11 AM
10851CS
Former Vendor
CasaMini just answered the question.

Thanks

Earl

Old 03-26-2004, 10:09 AM
SynergyONE
2nd Gear
Had the temporary fix on mine also, but decided to call the parts dept and order . Total cost around $25.00 I realize it is covered under warranty but not worth the trouble of setting up appointment etc. I won't get the parts for a few days ...hope this will not cause any problems.

Old 04-06-2004, 02:44 PM
SteveS
4th Gear
I have 13,000 mi. on my MCS recently it gave an intermittent whistling sound. The intake tech knew right away it was pcv valve/hose. Probably another defective part since it fails so early. Should be covered by 100,000 mi emissions warranth. It was replaced free but of course the inconvenience. Fortunately I'm 3 mi. from the dealer. They do wash car though for free. Only significant problems I've had are coolant bottle, thermostat and pcv valve. Not bad for relatively new design car (2003). Can't really complain.

Old 04-07-2004, 07:15 PM
th3118
Coordinator :: Dynamic MiNi Collective
>>Thanks for the 411. pwilk20 said something similar but was unsure of if this was true for the MINI. Are you certain the MINI's PCV valve should behave like this? And exactly where is this valve located and how much engine disassembly is required? If I find it's sticky, then how can I determine if the pressure found other places to vent?

Dominic,
I found my pvc valve just under and to the left of where it say MINI on the valve cover. It has the hose they replaced connected to it. You need a 8mm wrench to take it off. I took mine off and yes it does rattle. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: PCV hose replaced = PCV valve replaced???