Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Our 'Sealed' Automatic Transmissions

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 08:37 AM
TorchMINI
4th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Our 'Sealed' Automatic Transmissions

Greetings All,
Especially those of us with the 6-Speed automatics.
So, they are no-maintenance units, with no access to changing the transmission fluid (ATF). Having just done our Hyundai and found it a bit toasted, I wanted to keep the MINI clean in there, but MINI says to stay away from it.
I have seen on other threads here and elsewhere online, that this isn't a wise policy. Even The Tappet Brothers (Car Talk), say to change it about 3 years or 30k, sealed or open.
Some say it actually voids the BMW warranty. Since mine is now past the four year point, I have this event scheduled with my local garage. Both our Michigan MINI dealers are far away and say not to do it.
My price will be well under $200 with MINI o.e.m. fluid. ( I insisted on them acquiring the MINI o.e.m. fluid, which boosted that price a bit).
Anyone else have thoughts on doing this, or just letting their automatics try to go lifetime with its native fluid?
I'm planning on keeping this one for a long time, and just don't believe that there are "Forever' lubricants that are put under this kind of load.
[This may remind you of the engine oil debate all over again, and on that account I am a twice/year synthetic changer rather than a BMW computer follower].
Anyone else do this or price it?

Old 06-06-2012, 08:46 AM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I didn't think there's anything special about the fluid in the Aisin automatic transmission, just the juice in the CVT's - other than using the correct spec ATF of course.

I'm going to do mine when I cross 50k miles. I agree, what can it hurt? I'm also going to drop the pan and change the filter.

Under the same theory, I also change the engine oil twice a year of every 7,500 miles. My engine currently looks as clean inside as the day I got it, if at all possible I'm going to keep it that way.

Old 06-06-2012, 11:41 AM
Celtic Fox
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I year or so ago, when I was reading up on known Mini Cooper issues/problems, I ran accross quite a few posts and articles about changing the fluid in your transmission and one of the things I remembered about it was that some people in the know said you should only change it with a particular type of flushing apperatus that flushes the fluid in the same direction as it normally travels through the transmission and outlying pieces.

To back-flush it, as many places do, is to risk shaking loose debris that found resting places, and possibly re-introduce them into circulation, and possibly your gears/moving parts. I'm pretty sure this was about the new automatic transmissions (post CVT) made in Japan.

If that's the case, you might want to ask how that shop plans on flushing the fluid. (I don't think gravity draining it will get most of the fluid, so some sort of flushing equipment will probably be used.)

I'm sorry but I don't have time to try and find those posts and articles as I'm at work ond only have a brief break. But I believe I found them when I was researching the known issues and class action lawsuits concerning them; so maybe that'll help you in your search.

Good luck!

Old 06-06-2012, 12:15 PM
TorchMINI
4th Gear
Thanks, Celtic Fox. I will be sure to ask them about this.

Old 06-06-2012, 12:30 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
From what I've read on these forums, you cannot flush a MINI automatic transmission, because the transmission oil cooler is inside the transmission, rather than in the radiator like on many cars. There are no oil lines to connect to, to attach a pump for flushing.

The only way to change the fluid is to gravity drain it and refill three or four times, driving it between drains and refills.

Dave

Dave

Old 06-06-2012, 03:02 PM
Celtic Fox
1st Gear
Originally Posted by DneprDave
From what I've read on these forums, you cannot flush a MINI automatic transmission, because the transmission oil cooler is inside the transmission, rather than in the radiator like on many cars. There are no oil lines to connect to, to attach a pump for flushing.

The only way to change the fluid is to gravity drain it and refill three or four times, driving it between drains and refills.

Dave

Dave

Well, I do remember pretty clearly reading sbout the flushing. I can't clearly remember if it was the old or new transmission, but I thought it was the new.

Now that I had some time to search, I of course cannot find those same posts. (Seems like a lot of the class action stuff I used to find is not around anymore... wonder if it's google pushing the old stuff way down the list, or some sinister big corporate influence... )

I did find a lot of new stuff, and with pictures, and yes, it does apear gravity drains are the only way... what a P.I.T.A.

Sorry about the now apparently useless info I first posted. =)

Old 06-06-2012, 03:16 PM
TorchMINI
4th Gear
Thanks for the technical refinements. I'm going to save them and make sure our local technician reads it. I'm a bit nervous about a 'major' surgery being done away from the MINI dealer for the first time. [Even tough this place gets listed in the 100 Best Independent Car Repair Facilities, etc. etc...]
Well, major surgery would be valves, or a gasket. So, maybe an out-patient procedure.
All I've read lately, including these forums, makes me double glad I ignored the BMW program, which I was glued to, when I bought the car. I was going to let that computer decide the oil change for me until I could just feel the grit in the oil. Once I took oil changes into my own hands, I've decided to oversee the whole thing, and the Gertrag became the area of concern.

Old 06-06-2012, 03:31 PM
Celtic Fox
1st Gear
Disreguard - can't post the link, it's another website... And I don't feel comfortable taking their PDF and uploading it here.

Carry on. Nothing to see here!

Last edited by Celtic Fox; 06-06-2012 at 03:37 PM.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:55 PM
TorchMINI
4th Gear
Celtec Fox- (aka Han Solo)-
A topic aside!

I built a car on the MINI web site, just like yours. Do you have any high res photos of it?
I'd love a few for my MINI gallery that floats over my Apple TV. I need a large file for it, like a few Mb...
PM me for email if you don't start a Gallery.

Old 06-06-2012, 04:27 PM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Torch, if you have a stick, then you have a Getrag and changing the oil is no biggy.

If you have an auto you have an Aisin transmission, and all of the above apply.

Just FYI.

Getrag - stick
Aisin - auto

Old 06-06-2012, 05:40 PM
TorchMINI
4th Gear
oh, actually I wondered and was fuzzy about that, and now I've got it-thanks. Aisin. Not as cool a word as Getrag.
But then stick is actually cooler than automatic, even with paddle shifters...

Old 06-06-2012, 06:51 PM
Celtic Fox
1st Gear
Originally Posted by TorchMINI
Celtec Fox- (aka Han Solo)-
A topic aside!

I built a car on the MINI web site, just like yours. Do you have any high res photos of it?
I'd love a few for my MINI gallery that floats over my Apple TV. I need a large file for it, like a few Mb...
PM me for email if you don't start a Gallery.

Not yet. It's been built and is awaiting a ship. Hopefully in as little as 4 weeks I'll have it. (Though with my luck, it'll be closer to 8.)

Now I'm kind of wondering if I shouldn't have chosen different stripes. Oh well, that's one of the easier things to change...

And thanks for the reminder, I need to edit my sig.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:54 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm having Molly's done by MINI in October, she'll be a bit passed 50,000mi. which is when my SA has recommended having it done!!

Old 06-28-2012, 05:08 AM
TorchMINI
4th Gear
My local private auto center could not figure out how to replace the ATF. I wrote the two Mini dealers in state, and only one replied, saying they would do the ATF change, but that they had never done it before. She said 4 of the 8 quarts would be replaced.Cost- the better part of $500.
Does anyone know if there is a Mini dealer in the Midwest that has experience at changing ATF? I'd rather not be the first, and I'd like to think they might get out more than half of it.
I keep reading stuff about how truly important this is to the car's longevity, yet no one seems to be doing it.
For those of us that need to keep their Mini over ten years, what is the answer?

Old 06-28-2012, 08:22 PM
Patches
3rd Gear
I have the Bentley Service Manual and it lists the Aisin 6-speed Auto as maintenance-free with lifetime oil fill. However, it does have the procedure on how to change the fluid. It's quite similar to the process I use to change the tranny fluid in my wife's auto Corvette. That car has no tranny dipstick because the tranny is at the back axle. Changing fluid in it is not fun. Luckily I have a lift and it makes jobs like this easier.

Old 06-29-2012, 06:35 AM
TorchMINI
4th Gear
Thanks, Patches. I hadn't been able to verify a Bentley Manuel for the Aisin 6 speed, just the CVT. I will try to get one and send it to my local mechanic. I wouldn't try it at home with my tools and skills.

Old 06-29-2012, 07:15 AM
Patches
3rd Gear
I can scan the pages for you and send them via email if you can't find one.

Old 06-29-2012, 07:20 AM
TorchMINI
4th Gear
That would be most helpful. I'm trying to describe the situation to my garage folks...
Can you P.M. me here at NAM, and I'll send you my email?
:-)

Old 06-29-2012, 11:27 AM
Slave to Felines
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Most of the time, changing the fluid on an automatic transmission only replaces half of the fluid. As far as I know, that is the case on all torque-converter automatic transmissions, you can only get about half the fluid out.

Old 06-29-2012, 11:29 AM
Patches
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by TorchMINI
That would be most helpful. I'm trying to describe the situation to my garage folks...
Can you P.M. me here at NAM, and I'll send you my email?
:-)
PM sent.

Old 07-02-2012, 02:30 PM
TorchMINI
4th Gear
The instructions are now at my dealer, and I'm scheduled to have the 4 qts. of ATF replaced on 7/9/12. They will drain and replace 4 quarts. I'll report the outcome then.

Old 07-10-2012, 07:34 AM
TorchMINI
4th Gear
A 2 quart ATF exchange accomplished

Thanks to instructions for exchanging auto transmission fluid sent by Patches, I have finally had some ATF exchanged by my local independent garage. It took hours to drip in 2 quarts, and over $240 for the process, including the OEM MINI fluid (5 quarts that can be used for future such events).
The fluid that came out was not as clear as I'd hoped. My garage mechanics described it as 'pretty bad'. This is a straight Cooper driven rather conservatively with 44,000 miles and 4 years behind it. I could see particulates in the fluid.
I did a 50% exchange on the family Hyundai and it was a golden brown, much more clear than this.
My point is- why would BMW expect this environment to remain sealed for the life of the car? Why not let us maintain the fluid as we do the engine oil?
I would like to drive this MINI for over 200k and maintain it to do so.
Here's a pair of photos from the old and new auto fluid:

Anyone have a feeling for Automatic transmission fluid and how its appearance affects its ability to protect the Aisin unit over time?

Old 07-10-2012, 11:04 AM
JR2012IBB
2nd Gear
If you search for instructions on the VW Jetta 09G transmission you will find the way to drain and fill the 6 speed auto. It is essentially the same gear box and the VW tool will work. Also, VW recommends a 40K interval for the service!

Old 07-14-2012, 04:04 PM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Oh boy yeah, you need you to use the VW service instructions for your Aisin. I've changed it twice in my car. There is a thread about here. Very simple to do. Takes about an hour with the jacking being the longest part. At 50k miles the shifting was much improved with the two new quarts in the pan. Get the Toyota Type IV fluid $6 a quart.

Old 07-20-2012, 08:23 AM
TorchMINI
4th Gear
Strobeyprobey,
Did you manage to change a significant percentage of your ATF using the VW instructions?
I wonder why they would be better than the specific Bentley Manual Mini instructions. I know the transmission goes by the same name, Aisin, but is it identical as it appears underneath the car?
Is it possible that my local VW dealer could do this service?
You must have dropped the entire pan to change so much, vs draining via the plug.
Can you say more about what it took to exchange the fluid?

Quick Reply: Our 'Sealed' Automatic Transmissions