Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Our 'Sealed' Automatic Transmissions

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 10:37 AM
bmwr606
6th Gear
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
my dad has a 2012 cms all4 automatic, i have a 2012 cms all4 manual

i have been following the auto tranny discussions as i am responsible for caring for my dad's mini

i have a friend that owns a transmission repair and overhaul shop and his repair/rebuild data just updated to cover the cms automatic tranny, 2011 and 2012

here are a couple bits of info he passed on to me

total fluid capacity: 6 liters
fluid required with pan removal: 4 liters

note: drain fluid cold after sitting overnight, do not run engine/transmission prior to draining, if drained hot or after any running, only approximately 2-2.5 liters will drain

fluid type:mini atf jws 3309 (same as Toyota T-IV)

he says that a 2/3 fluid replacement is better than can be accomplished with most automatics, and is reccommending to me that we change dad's fluid @ 25-30k miles and do it twice, about a week apart

hope this helps

scott

Old 07-20-2012, 07:07 PM
PC CooperS
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't know if its the same transmission, but there's lots of good info here on draining and filling the 6 spd auto tranny in the 1st gen. MCS

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...id-change.html

Old 07-21-2012, 11:15 AM
madmike007
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Coming from experience, I would highly recommend changing your fluids every 30-40k miles. 50k miles is pushing it. My trans was completely shot at 52k.

I believe most dealers don't want to change/drain the fluids because the trans oil will be black and they will have evidence that the transmission is failing. Which means they are on the hook if under warranty.

Btw, the Aisin is a Toyota transmission.

Old 07-22-2012, 06:58 PM
BlackIce
4th Gear
Will be putting mine on a 30K change-out. Thanks guys and gals!

Old 07-23-2012, 11:32 AM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
So use this proceedure to change the fluid, don't need to drop the pan. And I used a fluid pump from the auto parts store to pump the fluid back in. I had to heat the tubing and stretch it a bit with a pencil to fit over the fill pipe adapter.

http://www.passatworld.com/forums/91...ilter-diy.html

Dealer quoted me $450 to change the two quarts. My service booklet that came with the car says the auto tranny fluid needs to be changed at 100k miles.

This procedure is soooo easy when it is filled from below.

I noticed a very distinct improvement in shifting when I changed the fluid both times.

Last edited by strobeyprobey; 07-23-2012 at 11:40 AM.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:34 AM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
Old 07-23-2012, 11:38 AM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
And read this thread to really see all the trouble the fill plug is and to find some additional information.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...rain-fill.html

I can't recommend changing the fluid enough. Such an important procedure to maintain the life of your tranny.

Old 09-04-2013, 12:23 AM
yesti
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by TorchMINI
Thanks to instructions for exchanging auto transmission fluid sent by Patches, I have finally had some ATF exchanged by my local independent garage. It took hours to drip in 2 quarts, and over $240 for the process, including the OEM MINI fluid (5 quarts that can be used for future such events).
The fluid that came out was not as clear as I'd hoped. My garage mechanics described it as 'pretty bad'. This is a straight Cooper driven rather conservatively with 44,000 miles and 4 years behind it. I could see particulates in the fluid.
I bought the T55 bit to open the 'fill' hole but it sounds like filling from the bottom is way faster. And I've also read to get a spare standpipe since they eventually crumble from being submerged in 110C fluid all the time. Anyone know where's the best place to get the standpipe online? Part number?

Old 10-17-2013, 03:14 PM
TorchMINI
4th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Update to all interested: My local independent garage bought a little pump for filling the ATF from the drain hole, so that they can do it in less than an hour now instead of 3 or 4 hours. I now have them replace a couple of quarts with every oil change, about twice a year. I'm also using the Toyota type IV instead of the MINI branded fluid, for further savings.
It's good to read that no known Aisin transmissions have failed yet, but I hope the new fluid exchanges help keep it that way. Mine has 56 k on it now, and isn't any different than Day 1.

Old 10-17-2013, 05:45 PM
ZIPPY "S"
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I notice a lot of you change the ATF fluid.. Was wondering if you are changing it with a synthetic type fluid.? I would highly recommend using a synthetic type ATF.. The way I understand it is the stock fluid is a non synthetic..plus I don't think the Toyota type is anything fancy either..

Old 10-17-2013, 06:27 PM
yesti
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
Toyota fluid is a whole lot cheaper than 'mini/bmw' fluid for the same spec. I'm planning on drain/refilling ~2qt every 10k miles with synthetic myself.

Old 10-18-2013, 01:50 PM
ZIPPY "S"
6th Gear
I totally understand what you mean about the Toyota fluid being cheaper.. IMO I think synthetic ATF in these trans is a must.. On one of my last MINIs I changed it with 17k on it.. The fluid wasn't real bad but you could already tell the color of it had changed.. So I used a synthetic.. Then around 70k I changed it again with filter this time.. To my surprise the fluid came out as if it was still new! During my whole experience with this MINI it shifted excellent.. was very responsive and not at all jerky.. smooth shifts but yet sharp.. I think the key into keeping these transmissions from failure is ATF changes..much much earlier then the 100k MINI recommends.. You will save yourself from the typical valve body replacement that occurs once the ATF reaches its life... Not to mention you should actually change it before it gets to the end of its life.. Well that my 2 cents anyways.. All I am saying here is always try to use a synthetic if at all possible!! Cheers!

Old 10-19-2013, 04:28 AM
mbwicz
6th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
zippy, what grade synthetic did you use? I put redline in my other car when I built it, but I'm not sure how that grade would translate to the MINI fluid.

Thanks,
Mike

Old 10-19-2013, 07:33 AM
gnuse
2nd Gear
When I read "bad" fluid, I am wondering if anyone has sent the used ATF to be tested. It sure would answer a lot of questions about the condition of the oil rather than judging condition by the color.

Old 10-19-2013, 09:46 AM
ceoengr
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gnuse
When I read "bad" fluid, I am wondering if anyone has sent the used ATF to be tested. It sure would answer a lot of questions about the condition of the oil rather than judging condition by the color.

I absolutely concur. Discoloration & sheen can be quite subjective and deceiving.

Old 10-19-2013, 01:30 PM
ZIPPY "S"
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mbwicz
zippy, what grade synthetic did you use? I put redline in my other car when I built it, but I'm not sure how that grade would translate to the MINI fluid.

Thanks,
Mike
mbwicz, I used amsoil signature series ATF in my MINI..as it meets the specs MINI requires.. Im sure redline is also a good brand as long as it is a viable replacement per spec for the transmission.. Im not trying to push anyone in buying amsoil.. Just my experience with there oils has been really good and not just in my MINI.. Here again if one understands the design of these transmissions it can be easily understood why IMO a base type ATF will not hold up to a good synthetic.. These type of transmissions create some good heat.. which in itself will degrade a standard ATF.. If you have questions on what type of redline products can be used.. Call redline and talk to a rep there..most if not all of them will be glad to help.. Im always calling Amsoil to double check what I can use and shouldn't use with there products.. Cheers

Old 10-19-2013, 05:38 PM
ZIPPY "S"
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ceoengr
I absolutely concur. Discoloration & sheen can be quite subjective and deceiving.
Originally Posted by gnuse
An easy indication of having bad ATF is by color and smell IMO.. While for my purposes I felt it wasn't needed to have the ATF tested.. It really wouldn't have told me anything that I needed to know.. Even though I do agree it would be good info...Ive worked on several AT trans before.. so the smell of the oil and color is usually something I can spot.. But I did take a sample and showed it to a transmission repair shop.. His response was that the ATF was burnt and not any good.. which is what I had figured.. If these transmissions were cheap to repair or buy new it wouldn't be a big deal..But of course they are not.. So I am really proactive when it comes to replacing fluids.. cheers