Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Power Steering Malfunction 2007 S

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 04:46 PM
hawkeye62
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power Steering Malfunction 2007 S

The other morning I backed down my driveway (first start of the day) and could barely turn the wheel. Thought I had a flat tire, turned off the ignition and checked, all tires OK. Started the car, started backing again, and no power steering. Drove back up to top of the drive, turned off the ignition, turned it on again, started the car and this time the power steering "came on" and I've been driving it with no repitition for a week. However, my wife (it's her car) won't drive it until I find out what happened, as if she lost power steering she doesn't have the strength to handle the car.

I recently had to replace the steering column assembly (car would not start for no discernible reason...little $1400 item) but doubt that could be related.

Any thoughts out there?

Old 11-28-2011, 05:09 PM
05Greenie
4th Gear
Bad Steering

Sadly, it sounds to me like the power sterring pump is about to fail on you. I had the same symptoms when mine cut out. Is your car still under warranty?

There are MANY threds on this subject on NAM.
Let me know how you make out.
Mark

Originally Posted by hawkeye62
The other morning I backed down my driveway (first start of the day) and could barely turn the wheel. Thought I had a flat tire, turned off the ignition and checked, all tires OK. Started the car, started backing again, and no power steering. Drove back up to top of the drive, turned off the ignition, turned it on again, started the car and this time the power steering "came on" and I've been driving it with no repitition for a week. However, my wife (it's her car) won't drive it until I find out what happened, as if she lost power steering she doesn't have the strength to handle the car.

I recently had to replace the steering column assembly (car would not start for no discernible reason...little $1400 item) but doubt that could be related.

Any thoughts out there?

Old 11-28-2011, 05:12 PM
Spice Orange JCW
4th Gear
A 2007 S, as long as it is a hatchback, has electric steering. No pump. Sounds like an electrical problem. Could be from the column replacement.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:39 AM
05Greenie
4th Gear
All MINI's have a power steering pump that is driven by an electrical motor. It's the electrical motor that drives the power steering pump to flow power steering fluid through the steering system.

PS pump failure is a WELL known flaw for MINI's. There are numerous threads about this issues and many experiencing the very same indicators prior to total pump failure.

The electrical motor is on all the time and when under a load the motor output increases to meet hte laod demand, this motor is proone to failure and is not as reliable as othe rtypes of PS operations like a belt driven delivery system. Take your car to a mechanic that has experience with MINI's and get thier feedback.

Originally Posted by Spice Orange JCW
A 2007 S, as long as it is a hatchback, has electric steering. No pump. Sounds like an electrical problem. Could be from the column replacement.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:05 AM
Spice Orange JCW
4th Gear
Originally Posted by 05Greenie
All MINI's have a power steering pump that is driven by an electrical motor. It's the electrical motor that drives the power steering pump to flow power steering fluid through the steering system.

PS pump failure is a WELL known flaw for MINI's. There are numerous threads about this issues and many experiencing the very same indicators prior to total pump failure.

The electrical motor is on all the time and when under a load the motor output increases to meet hte laod demand, this motor is proone to failure and is not as reliable as othe rtypes of PS operations like a belt driven delivery system. Take your car to a mechanic that has experience with MINI's and get thier feedback.

The biggest revisions take place within the 2007 Mini Cooper hatchback's cabin. The central speedometer is bigger, and is now home to the car's radio controls and display. Many of the car's controls have been relocated, and the layout is now more user-friendly. The center stack has been narrowed; as a result, the foot wells are roomier and more comfortable for those with larger feet. Overall, the hatchback's interior boasts a cleaner, more upscale look.
Both Cooper hatchback trims get new engines. The Cooper S hatchback is now powered by a turbocharged engine that generates 172 hp and 191 pound-feet of torque. The base Cooper hatchback gets its juice from a new inline-4 that generates 118 hp and 114 lb-ft of torque. The Cooper's front-wheel-drive layout and sporty handling demeanor remain intact, but a retuned suspension and new run-flat tires have made the car more forgiving over bumps and road irregularities. The Mini Cooper hatch also makes the switch to full electric power steering, but thanks to careful tuning by BMW engineers, it doesn't lose any of its trademark steering feel

Old 11-29-2011, 10:32 AM
Spice Orange JCW
4th Gear
The reason I say hatchback is that the convertible in 2007 still had the old engine and therefor uses the electric/hydraulic pump still. But it is not considered a second generation mini. I agree that they were a problem, but a second generation car does not have hydraulic. I have owned 2 of these and there is no place to fill hydraulic fluid at.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:33 AM
rustyeuro
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Spice Orange JCW
but thanks to careful tuning by BMW engineers, it doesn't lose any of its trademark steering feel
go kart like then nothing