Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Yellow Brake and Traction Control combo lights - what's wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 12:31 PM
William Montgomerie
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you guys manage to fix this issue? I have the same lights on after complete front suspension component replacement which required lowering the subframe. I loosened the steering shaft splined connection so that it would not get pulled when I lowered the subframe. Now my steering wheel isn’t horizontal when I’m driving straight and I’m nearly sure that that’s causing the fault. I believe that the vehicle monitors steering wheel angle and compares to the driving direction for DSC to work properly and that that’s currently not matching. I’m going to get back under there and attempt to re-align the steering wheel. Will update here if I get it fixed.

Old 01-31-2018, 01:18 PM
Ahmed Altairy
Neutral
Originally Posted by William Montgomerie
Did you guys manage to fix this issue? I have the same lights on after complete front suspension component replacement which required lowering the subframe. I loosened the steering shaft splined connection so that it would not get pulled when I lowered the subframe. Now my steering wheel isn’t horizontal when I’m driving straight and I’m nearly sure that that’s causing the fault. I believe that the vehicle monitors steering wheel angle and compares to the driving direction for DSC to work properly and that that’s currently not matching. I’m going to get back under there and attempt to re-align the steering wheel. Will update here if I get it fixed.
Yes, I got it fixed. My DSC sensor needed to be recalibrated. I bought an Autel MX808 ($350) scan tool that can do a little more than just clear engine codes which is able to reset steering angle sensor and DSC module.

After that it worked, I'm guessing you will still have to get your DSC calibrated once you align your steering, if you're near southeast Michigan, you can use my Autel.

Any shop that has a half decent scantool can do it as well, so you don't have to take it to a dealer and pay $100 diagnostics and $100 to press reset.

Old 02-01-2018, 02:11 AM
William Montgomerie
Neutral
Nice! I’m glad you got if fixed. I pulled the lower steering shaft at the rack u-joint off on mine this afternoon and it turns out it’s not splined at all, it’s just a square bar into the slip joint. So it can’t be accidentally misaligned without being off by some multiple of 90 deg, which is huge!

since I could eliminate this as the problem, I instead measured the deflection of the tie rod threads between driving straight and steering wheel straight positions, which turned out to be one thread, or one full turn into the drivers side tie rod end. Then I did one full turn opposite (out) of the passenger side tie rod end and put the wheels back on and went to town. The steering wheel was perfectly level again on straight roads. When I next restarted my car the DSC and tire monitoring system lights were off! Yay!

Old 02-01-2018, 05:41 AM
Ahmed Altairy
Neutral
Nice! I’m glad you got if fixed. I pulled the lower steering shaft at the rack u-joint off on mine this afternoon and it turns out it’s not splined at all, it’s just a square bar into the slip joint. So it can’t be accidentally misaligned without being off by some multiple of 90 deg, which is huge!

since I could eliminate this as the problem, I instead measured the deflection of the tie rod threads between driving straight and steering wheel straight positions, which turned out to be one thread, or one full turn into the drivers side tie rod end. Then I did one full turn opposite (out) of the passenger side tie rod end and put the wheels back on and went to town. The steering wheel was perfectly level again on straight roads. When I next restarted my car the DSC and tire monitoring system lights were off! Yay!
QUOTEl

Seeing those lights go off at startup was the best feeling lol, glad you figured it out!

Old 02-01-2018, 06:22 AM
f_p
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am not an expert, so don't really count my response.
But how is your battery going? In some cases low/unsteady voltage can make the ECU go mad.

Old 06-01-2018, 04:03 PM
Dr. Spade
4th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

That's great. I'll have to tell the shop that did my diff to try this.

Old 07-16-2018, 09:12 AM
racemd
Neutral
Did anyone find a resolution to this? I have a 2013 Mini Cooper S Countryman, 51k miles, we dropped the k frame to replace the clutch, pressure plate and dual mass flywheel and put it back together. We were very careful in doing this and now we have the same symptoms, Yellow Brake Light, Yellow Traction Control, blinkers will not cancel out, and on turn off the wipers come on. Please help.

I've done some reading on the forum and believe here is the cause. The symptoms I have (yellow traction control and brake light, turn signals do not automatically cancel out, wipers turn on after engine shut off, DCS does not operate) are same of those folks who had the steering angle sensor fail in their cars. In R56 the steering angle sensor appears to be integrated with the steering column switch assembly, called steering column switch cluster (SZL), part # 61313449460. I could not find how much this part costs. Even though you can replace cluster yourself, dealer still would need to reprogram the sensor. Looks to be a costly repair.

Old 07-16-2018, 09:53 AM
Lex2008
6th Gear
Received 148 Likes on 130 Posts
Originally Posted by racemd
Did anyone find a resolution to this? I have a 2013 Mini Cooper S Countryman, 51k miles, we dropped the k frame to replace the clutch, pressure plate and dual mass flywheel and put it back together. We were very careful in doing this and now we have the same symptoms, Yellow Brake Light, Yellow Traction Control, blinkers will not cancel out, and on turn off the wipers come on. Please help.

I've done some reading on the forum and believe here is the cause. The symptoms I have (yellow traction control and brake light, turn signals do not automatically cancel out, wipers turn on after engine shut off, DCS does not operate) are same of those folks who had the steering angle sensor fail in their cars. In R56 the steering angle sensor appears to be integrated with the steering column switch assembly, called steering column switch cluster (SZL), part # 61313449460. I could not find how much this part costs. Even though you can replace cluster yourself, dealer still would need to reprogram the sensor. Looks to be a costly repair.
Two possibilities:

1.Steering angle sensor needs recalibration with bmw software or equivalent. $100.

2. You broke the clock spring in the steering wheel and you need a new one. $500 plus the calibration.

Keep searching on this forum. It happened to me.

Old 09-12-2019, 11:42 AM
Matthew589
1st Gear
Lights

My lights will go on almost to the foot of where I’m driving. I can leave my house and it will go off at the same spot every time. Then go out....and come on at the next same spot. Doesn’t matter if I leave engine running or add some distance to that route. Sounds confusing I know. Creepy just a story. I will be looking at my sensors later.

Old 09-14-2019, 11:43 AM
Lex2008
6th Gear
Received 148 Likes on 130 Posts
Originally Posted by Matthew589
My lights will go on almost to the foot of where I’m driving. I can leave my house and it will go off at the same spot every time. Then go out....and come on at the next same spot. Doesn’t matter if I leave engine running or add some distance to that route. Sounds confusing I know. Creepy just a story. I will be looking at my sensors later.
Dude that is creepy. Did you do any repairs before this started happening?