Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

A wild stink appears!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 11:31 AM
SooperSara
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
A wild stink appears!

Hey everyone. Currently driving an 03 BRG/W MCS, at 106k and just wondering about this smell recently uncovered.
I am going to assume that the driver I bought it from hasn't replaced the clutch since he gave me "ALL DOCUMENTATION" of the car. Car hasn't been abused or raced or anything either.
I learned how to drive manual on it, so I wouldn't be surprised if I slipped it. I never drive with my foot near the clutch pedal, etc. Although recently, while cruising with the AC on, I noticed a stank. It's kind of a sour smell. Nothing like a burnt smell to me. Boyfriend doesn't even notice it half the time. Don't really notice it at CERTAIN times driving (taking off, coming to a stop) just random. I turned off the AC, opened windows, can't smell a thing; close windows without AC, can't smell a thing. My RPMs match my speed taking off in all gears, so I don't THINK I'm screwing up my clutch too bad. In very heavy traffic I do let out the clutch half way and push it back in just to creep up, nothing too bad (no stink while doing so either). Can anyone help me name the smell? Is it a dead skunk inside my bonnet? My nostrils playing games with me? My dear clutch? I am probably going to be getting a new clutch nonetheless within a few months. Just want to try to ease my mind (or not) beforehand.

Thanks everyone!
Sara

Old 09-14-2011, 11:35 AM
Blackbomber
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm betting on mildew or dead animal inside HVAC system. My sister had a nice mouse nest in on top of the HEPA filter in her Golf. It's kind of early in the season for that (especially if you are using AC). Another source of smell would be the Catalytic converter. That is rotten eggs, and you'd smell it more with the windows down.

Old 09-14-2011, 12:13 PM
jaqattack02
2nd Gear
Don't spend the money on a new clutch if you don't need it yet. Wait till you know it's slipping. To ease your mind, have a friend experienced with manuals check it out, and make sure it's operating correctly.

For the smell, I'd start by checking the cabin air filter. I think it's under the glove box. I'm not exactly sure, I think the location is mentioned in the owners manual. It probably wouldn't hurt to plan to go ahead and replace it anyway. The AC more than likely pulls outside air from the cowl (area just below the windshield). So you should pop the hood and have a good look down in there and make sure there isn't anything collected there that could be 'flavoring' the air coming in. Something like old wet leaves, or anything like that. If you find anything, clean it out.

Old 09-14-2011, 12:29 PM
Nick Danger
1st Gear
I say it is your cabin filter. Is it a musty/funky smell? The filter is located in the passenger footwell. Lie on your back and look up. I think I ordered mine from Rockauto.

Old 09-14-2011, 12:41 PM
SooperSara
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Nick Danger
I say it is your cabin filter. Is it a musty/funky smell? The filter is located in the passenger footwell. Lie on your back and look up. I think I ordered mine from Rockauto.
It's like nothing I've smelled before. Best I can describe it as is sour. Doesn't smell electrical or anything having to do with a car. Just stinks. When I search "clutch smell" on Google everyone says that it's horrible and everyone gives another example; that's what got me all paranoid. I just started noticing it maybe a week ago. Can a cabin filter build up stink that quickly? I'll keep my eyes peeled for maybe if there's a certain time it appears. Also I'll keep my air off for a longer period of time to see for sure if it's not present with it off. I don't know how I'll get away with it in this Florida heat.

Old 09-14-2011, 12:49 PM
TimL
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I say it is your cabin filter. Is it a musty/funky smell?
+1

The CAF should be replaced about once a year and who knows if/when the previous owner ever did.

Good how-to video here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iT-k8nf-OMU

Old 09-14-2011, 12:51 PM
Nick Danger
1st Gear
Yes, it just appears one day. The way the stank was, I thought, "No way it could be a filter." It was. Yes, it is a sour smell. The part ranges from $10-$20 from Rockauto. Stop sniffing and go get a filter. :-)

Old 09-14-2011, 11:49 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Doesn't the catalytic converter stink like eggs if it's gone south?

I vaguely recall reading that somewhere...

edit:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_can_yo...nverter_is_bad

Old 09-15-2011, 07:08 AM
jaqattack02
2nd Gear
Generally a bad cat is also accompanied by your car starting to run badly or throwing emissions codes.

Old 09-20-2011, 05:43 PM
SooperSara
3rd Gear
The culprit was found!

Yes, it just appears one day. The way the stank was, I thought, "No way it could be a filter." It was. Yes, it is a sour smell. The part ranges from $10-$20 from Rockauto. Stop sniffing and go get a filter. :-)
Thank you everyone for your suggestions! Not only did I need to replace the CAF, but when I went to replace it, I come to find out there isn't even one in place!

Old 09-20-2011, 07:28 PM
PatM
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SooperSara
Thank you everyone for your suggestions! Not only did I need to replace the CAF, but when I went to replace it, I come to find out there isn't even one in place!
I see you replaced the filter. But did it actually solve the problem? Were you smelling other car exhaust?
Having no filter should not create that smell so I'm wondering if adding one where it should have been will really solve the problem.

I hope it solves the problem but I gotta tell you something smells to me!

Old 09-21-2011, 07:47 AM
Mini PoWA!
2nd Gear
Im gonna check my CAF right now...lol

Old 09-21-2011, 10:51 AM
Carmichael
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My cabin filter was DISGUSTING when I took it out. It must have been the first OE filter installed on the car. I replaced it at 78k miles.

Didn't make too much of a difference when I installed my new filter, but then again my 110 lb. dog (Bouvier des Flandres) tends to make it so I have to vacuum the car constantly. The blower air velocity did increase somewhat, though.

Old 09-22-2011, 11:19 AM
Spraypaint
3rd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
By the way....

Is the title of this post a Pokemon reference?

Old 09-22-2011, 01:31 PM
Carmichael
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, it is Super Effective ...

(To some, anyway).

/lemmeshowyoumypokeymans

Old 09-22-2011, 03:09 PM
Jackelino
1st Gear
Also, it is well known the a/c stinks when it is turned off.

Old 09-22-2011, 03:39 PM
SooperSara
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by PatM
I see you replaced the filter. But did it actually solve the problem? Were you smelling other car exhaust?
Having no filter should not create that smell so I'm wondering if adding one where it should have been will really solve the problem.

I hope it solves the problem but I gotta tell you something smells to me!
Well we haven't replaced it yet.. :p rather just checked it out. Guess I worded that a little silly. But it's not nearly as bad since we took the CAF casing out...surprisingly? Maybe the plastic casing needs to be cleaned as well. Idk. I haven't smelled it nearly as much.

Originally Posted by Jackelino
Also, it is well known the a/c stinks when it is turned off.
The smell unravels when the AC is on.