Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

boot release won't

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2004, 03:33 PM
parzifal
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i'm new here and while i have found much useful information, this is the first time i've actually posted. i've done a search and found related questions, but not quite specific to my situation, so here goes: i've had the boot latch on my MC replaced twice in the last month & a half, and once again find myself with a boot that i can't open. i can hear the solenoid working (or trying to) but the latch won't release. if i go under the back seat and pull the rip cord, i hear what seems to be a mechanical click, but the boot is only partially released and---you guessed it--- won't open. both times previous i took it into the dealer (Ralph Schomp here in Denver) and they were very nice about it and replaced the latch at no charge while i waited, so i have no beef with them. but in response to "why did this happen? twice?" they just sort of shrugged and said the original latch (and the replacement for the original latch, of course) was defective, that there had been several problems with the mechanism, but that this flaw in some Minis had been addressed by the introduction of a new latch (which, presumably, i got the first time they replaced it). well, obviously not. so what's the deal? i love the car, but this is ridiculous. isn't it? does anyone have a similar experience, or a theory as to how this could happen? i mean, a great car, but they can't design a flippin' boot latch? good grief.

thanks for your patience,

paddy