Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

2005 MC Convertible would not start

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 12:35 AM
TheMiniHoff
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 MC Convertible would not start

I have 108,000 miles on my mini cooper. I have had no issues other than tire issues from bad roads (bent suspension arm fixed, wheel bearings repaired)...until now!
I stopped at a gas station, ran in, came out, and I put the key in and attempted to start my car. No sound, no start. I was shocked because my mini has been so great.
I kept trying to start, but the only thing happening was the car lights were flickering, dimming, intermittently. I kept trying and various lights would flicker or blink on and off.
I put the key to the first position (which uses the battery/ the position before starting) and all the interior lights came on and functioned as normal.
A bystander came and jumped my car for about 10 minutes, I tried again to start the mini....same crazy light show yet no sound from the engine or the starter.

I thought it couldn't be the battery since the interior lights worked with key in first position, and with that I assumed that between the apparent battery use and the fact that jumping the mini did nothing to start the car, that the battery was capable of being charged and wasn't totally dead...so it worried me that the jumper did nothing. (Could the man have jumped the mini incorrectly?)

Anyone with any ideas or insight for possible discrepancies? I'm trying to prep myself before the mechanic sees it, in case the news is not good. I appreciate any feedback. Thank you!

Old 08-26-2011, 04:41 AM
ngweibing
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
last time something like this happen.. it was my battery and a loose wire

Old 08-26-2011, 05:50 AM
evilness
2nd Gear
Mini's do very weird things when the battery is on the way out. My issues where similar to yours.

If you still have the OEM battery then it's time to get it tested. This is most probably the issue you are having.

Old 08-26-2011, 06:33 AM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hold the key near ignition slot - but don't insert - with driver door open. Does the "key left in" ring sound occur?
If not, the key is not communicating with the car, and then the engine stays immobilized.

Old 08-27-2011, 02:34 AM
TheMiniHoff
Neutral
Figured it out

My battery was drained all the way, so even though the mini interior lights operated as usual, the car wouldn't start with jumper cables (which is the part that worried me and made me assume it was not the battery originally).

Mini's sure are unusual electrically I guess...but man do I love my mini and being back on the road!

Thanks everyone for your comments and help!