Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

"Pop" noise when accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 08:01 AM
bradklodowski
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Pop" noise when accelerating

Hey guys, first of all I apologize if this is a repost, but I searched beforehand and didn't find anything about this. Feel free to link me to any posts that are relevant.

The problem I am having is a light 'pop' sort of noise coming from my front wheels whenever the torque direction on them changes. In other words, anytime I make the transition from the engine powering the wheels, to the wheels powering the engine (essentially, applying or letting off the throttle) they pop. It only happens once at the moment the torques change, and then I can accelerate or brake as hard as I want with no additional noise. I will get my friend to try to record the sound later today, but I was just wondering if anyone has had this issue before and knew how to fix it. Thanks in advance!

Old 06-07-2011, 03:59 PM
bradklodowski
2nd Gear
Bump.... anyone?

Old 06-07-2011, 06:32 PM
Achilless
4th Gear
When you decelerate, does it sounds different if you immediately shift into neutral and then hit the brakes as opposed to braking when in gear?

All i can think of is CV joint or bolt.
Or
maybe the engine mount. A loose bolt would certainly cause some noise

Old 06-07-2011, 06:54 PM
bradklodowski
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Achilless
When you decelerate, does it sounds different if you immediately shift into neutral and then hit the brakes as opposed to braking when in gear?

All i can think of is CV joint or bolt.
Or
maybe the engine mount. A loose bolt would certainly cause some noise
Thanks for the reply. I'll try the braking in neutral vs. engine braking thing tomorrow on my way to work and see what I can find. It certainly makes sense that if it's the CV joint, it shouldn't make the noise in neutral as it's not really transmitting any torque. I can also get her up on some ramps tomorrow night and try to visually inspect my CV boots to tell if one of them has been compromised. I'll let you know what I can find. Again, thanks for the help!

Old 06-09-2011, 06:54 AM
bradklodowski
2nd Gear
I checked it out... engine braking is definitely causing the pop noise, if I go straight from accelerating to clutch down to braking, it doesn't do it again. This seems to indicate that it's the CV joint, but I put my car up on ramps and looked at them - all four of the boots (left and right) seem to be in good condition. How likely is the CV to fail even if the boots are intact?

Old 06-09-2011, 07:00 AM
robinj
3rd Gear
if it's a CV joint you'll know when it's gone too far. (NOT FUN)

does the sound continue when you drive or only when you let off?
the classic CV joint noise that I've heard is especially when you first start up and you hear a "clunk" that gets drastically worse when you turn.

Old 06-09-2011, 07:06 AM
bradklodowski
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by robinj
does the sound continue when you drive or only when you let off?
the classic CV joint noise that I've heard is especially when you first start up and you hear a "clunk" that gets drastically worse when you turn.
This really isn't a clunk noise at all. It's more of a popping noise that only happens when the direction of the torque on the wheels changes. I get it when I drive off from a stop and subsequently every time I change gears. Turning has no effect on it whatsoever. I'll try to record the sound if I get a chance.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:12 AM
boxer
2nd Gear
How many miles are on the car? I have an 03 MCS with 44k miles. I had to replace the front lower control arm bushings. The passenger side was completely torn and made the steering feel loose. Maybe something to look at.

Old 06-09-2011, 12:28 PM
03BRG
4th Gear
Sounds like a loose axle nut- this is kind of known thing to have happen. here is a link
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...yone-else.html

Old 06-09-2011, 12:47 PM
bradklodowski
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by 03BRG
Sounds like a loose axle nut- this is kind of known thing to have happen. here is a link
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...yone-else.html
Boom. That's a pretty perfect description of it. I have my car going in for an alignment tomorrow at my indie mechanic, I'll have them check on the axle nuts too. Thanks for pointing that out!

Last edited by bradklodowski; 06-09-2011 at 12:48 PM. Reason: Stupid spelling error