Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Help! 48K...Decision Time

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 10:29 AM
irishpunk
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! 48K...Decision Time

I bought my 2007 MCS (sport suspension, sunroof, alarm) intending to keep it for ever (way back sold my 1992 Geo Metro convertible after 8 years - had 150,000 miles on 1.0L, 3 cyl. engine - 40+ mpg, top speed 140 KPH (not MPH, KYBs, JAMEX springs, 185/50R13s, drove like a MINI, never even had to change break pads)...

But now having read about all of the potential SERIOUS engine-related issues (not to mention the latest CR and JD POWER), with my Factory warranty about to end (48K now - Sept. 1, 2011 end), I am trying to decide what to do - so could do with some advice. Another factor - I would not mind having lower monthly payments (use the $495/mo I pay now to pay down cards.

I had the vacuum pump failure (warped heads replaced along with new timing belt/tensioner) a year ago at 33K and had cold start problems this winter (which went away when I kept oil topped up to max). Am going to replace spark plugs at a "end of warranty service/inspection by independent tech" on Wed. - service indicator is saying I need a service in 2,000K - which of course will be after the warranty expires

I drive relatively conservatively (not saying I have not had it over 120 mph in VT) - for example the first "official" service was called for at 19,000 miles - although I have had 3 extra oil changes (so about every 7-8K).

I am not in a financial position to handle the $6,000+ of a non-warrantied engine failure, or several minor (replace clutch, replace fuel pump, etc.) problems i a row,

I value handling and fuel economy over speed (has trouble free Impreza RS (2000-2003), WRX sedan (2003-2004) and WRX wagon (2004-2007) but 27 HWY MPH not green enough for my conscience.

Shall I (tell me what you would do):

1. Buy extended warranty and keep the car I like a lot: AAA $2500 or MINI $3000 to take me though to 2014 85/100K?

2. Keep car, NOT buying extended warranty and take my chances and replace failed parts with "lightly used"/rebuilt high performance parts installed by cheaper, non-dealer (e.g., if turbo goes JCW turbo ($1250) bolts on to give 20-40 extra HP depending on tune ($500)?).

3. Sell my MINI (for $14K) and buy a 2011 BASE Cooper Clubman or Countryman (with sport suspension) - accept the lower performance in return for better reliability and gas mileage, and a least another 4 years security (with a monthly of about $350-400)?

4. Sell my MINI and buy a BASE 2007 Cooper (fewer problems, better reliability than the "S" - still a MINI) - just lost a potential one that sold for $11K this morning (same mileage as mine - $48K).

5. Sell my MINI - reject the MINI brand and buy a 2004/2004 Ford Focus for $4-5K and install Eibach springs, struts, swaybars ($1.5-2K) - so 37 MPG for a car that handles like a MINI, about as slow as a base model MINI - but (and I cringe) Ford reliability and an abundance of cheap parts and labor. I probably will not need an auto loan for this option (sell my MINI for $14 k - loan is $9K).

5. Grow up and by a new Honda Accord (like my first new car - a 1982 Accord Hatchback.

I apologize for the longwindedness - this also helps get my own thoughts straight in my head. Any opinions appreciated (I think this is the right forum as my post is about stock problems).

Old 03-20-2011, 10:47 AM
slinger688
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Problems with Minis is a probability game, unfortunately the probability is higher than many other car manufacturers. The main decisions have to do with whether you like the car more than others and whether you have the money to deal with it, if and when the problems come.

If the answer is yes to both, it is often good to keep the car and deal wih it.

Old 03-20-2011, 11:43 AM
BMC_Kid
4th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by irishpunk
I bought my 2007 MCS (sport suspension, sunroof, alarm) intending to keep it for ever (way back sold my 1992 Geo Metro convertible after 8 years - had 150,000 miles on 1.0L, 3 cyl. engine - 40+ mpg, top speed 140 KPH (not MPH, KYBs, JAMEX springs, 185/50R13s, drove like a MINI, never even had to change break pads)...

But now having read about all of the potential SERIOUS engine-related issues (not to mention the latest CR and JD POWER), with my Factory warranty about to end (48K now - Sept. 1, 2011 end), I am trying to decide what to do - so could do with some advice. Another factor - I would not mind having lower monthly payments (use the $495/mo I pay now to pay down cards.

I had the vacuum pump failure (warped heads replaced along with new timing belt/tensioner) a year ago at 33K and had cold start problems this winter (which went away when I kept oil topped up to max). Am going to replace spark plugs at a "end of warranty service/inspection by independent tech" on Wed. - service indicator is saying I need a service in 2,000K - which of course will be after the warranty expires

I drive relatively conservatively (not saying I have not had it over 120 mph in VT) - for example the first "official" service was called for at 19,000 miles - although I have had 3 extra oil changes (so about every 7-8K).

I am not in a financial position to handle the $6,000+ of a non-warrantied engine failure, or several minor (replace clutch, replace fuel pump, etc.) problems i a row,

I value handling and fuel economy over speed (has trouble free Impreza RS (2000-2003), WRX sedan (2003-2004) and WRX wagon (2004-2007) but 27 HWY MPH not green enough for my conscience.

Shall I (tell me what you would do):

1. Buy extended warranty and keep the car I like a lot: AAA $2500 or MINI $3000 to take me though to 2014 85/100K?

2. Keep car, NOT buying extended warranty and take my chances and replace failed parts with "lightly used"/rebuilt high performance parts installed by cheaper, non-dealer (e.g., if turbo goes JCW turbo ($1250) bolts on to give 20-40 extra HP depending on tune ($500)?).

3. Sell my MINI (for $14K) and buy a 2011 BASE Cooper Clubman or Countryman (with sport suspension) - accept the lower performance in return for better reliability and gas mileage, and a least another 4 years security (with a monthly of about $350-400)?

4. Sell my MINI and buy a BASE 2007 Cooper (fewer problems, better reliability than the "S" - still a MINI) - just lost a potential one that sold for $11K this morning (same mileage as mine - $48K).

5. Sell my MINI - reject the MINI brand and buy a 2004/2004 Ford Focus for $4-5K and install Eibach springs, struts, swaybars ($1.5-2K) - so 37 MPG for a car that handles like a MINI, about as slow as a base model MINI - but (and I cringe) Ford reliability and an abundance of cheap parts and labor. I probably will not need an auto loan for this option (sell my MINI for $14 k - loan is $9K).

5. Grow up and by a new Honda Accord (like my first new car - a 1982 Accord Hatchback.

I apologize for the longwindedness - this also helps get my own thoughts straight in my head. Any opinions appreciated (I think this is the right forum as my post is about stock problems).

I say #5 "reject the MINI brand" but don't go the Ford route. "Ford reliability"... now that is the funniest thing I have read on this forum in a while! Based on the above, you sound like the type that will never be comfortable owning a MINI, so why put yourself through that kind of stress?

If it were me and I had that much worry, I'd sell the MINI, pay off/down the credit cards and buy a bicycle. Seriously, based on your above statement, you will never be comfortable in the MINI's dependability. I am on my second MINI now and have had fewer problems than my last Honda Accord or Chrysler 300. My first MINI had 120,000 miles before I sold it and bought my current MINI. At least any fixes on the bicycle would be cheap enough to not lead to undue worrying on your part.

Old 03-20-2011, 11:54 AM
irishpunk
3rd Gear
TREK Soho

Actually I got a TREK Soho (city hybrid) last year - derailleur is inside wheel hub, so stunningly quick shifts and no clanking of chain (MINI cold start joke and apparently "bullit-proof reliability".

So I am actually driving a lot less

So you don't think I could take you with a 2.0 Duratec with full Eibach kit - you in a base MINI (with sport suspension)?

Old 03-20-2011, 12:08 PM
irishpunk
3rd Gear
and...

of couse mt bike can go straight into the ZX3 not my beloved, unfsithful MINI

Old 03-20-2011, 12:18 PM
BMC_Kid
4th Gear
Actually I got a TREK Soho (city hybrid) last year - derailleur is inside wheel hub, so stunningly quick shifts and no clanking of chain (MINI cold start joke and apparently "bullit-proof reliability".

So I am actually driving a lot less

So you don't think I could take you with a 2.0 Duratec with full Eibach kit - you in a base MINI (with sport suspension)?

No offense but I am not into Treks. They are the ford of the bicycle world, so to speak. I am the BMC_Kid for a reason.

BMC is sort of the MINI of the cycling world, they do their own thing. Look at any trek and it looks like just about any other mass produced bike. Not so with BMC and not so with MINI.

With respect to the childish "2.0 Duratec blah, blah, blah" I think that statement speaks for itself and now I am confident that you should leave MINI for good.

Last edited by BMC_Kid; 03-20-2011 at 12:32 PM.
Old 03-20-2011, 12:20 PM
BMC_Kid
4th Gear
of couse mt bike can go straight into the ZX3 not my beloved, unfsithful MINI
I have no idea what you are trying to say here, and English IS my first language!

Old 03-20-2011, 12:35 PM
irishpunk
3rd Gear
joking aside...

although I think I could take you (in Ford not on bike I think your comments are insightful and right on - appreciate feedback

Old 03-20-2011, 12:38 PM
irishpunk
3rd Gear
and stop trying to elevate this discussion to a mature, adult level. off to grade 12 grad student papers due Tuesday.

Old 03-20-2011, 12:41 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
BMC - British Motor Corporation?

I have a bunch of cars made by them!

Dave

Old 03-20-2011, 12:48 PM
BMC_Kid
4th Gear
Originally Posted by DneprDave
BMC - British Motor Corporation?

I have a bunch of cars made by them!

Dave

I have a bunch of bikes made by them!

Old 03-20-2011, 03:28 PM
slinger688
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Irsihpunk, going back to your original question beyond your bicycle, if you want reliability, generally stick with the Japanese products. If you cannot afford the car or the consequences of automotive ownership, it is best to be prudent with your money and sell your Mini and get anything else that you can afford.

Old 03-20-2011, 03:52 PM
irishpunk
3rd Gear
thanks!

so that is two votes for dump the MINI (yours and BCS)...

Old 03-20-2011, 05:08 PM
Headlands
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's important not to fall into fanboy land with MINIs. Based on what I've read, what THREE people I know with MINIs over 40k or so have experienced (i.e. major problems, including one failure of ABS -- a $2600 job, two HPFP failures, and two transmission mount failures) and the fact that Consumer Reports took the MINI off of the recommended used car list, I say sell it. It's a calculated risk. These cars are NOT reliable on average, and while a certain amount of people do indeed get lucky, many others do not (which is -- like I've said many, many times here before -- the reason why MINIs have subpar reliability ratings in all of the major reporting companies).

The second mine hits the end of its warranty I'm selling it. I've had many problems already and I just hit 16k -- no mechanical failures, just many little problems that are indicative of a car not being put together well and/or being made of some subpar parts. Great car to drive, though!

Old 03-20-2011, 05:33 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
My Clubman hasn't seen the dealer's shop since I got it. You are going to see many more problems on any car forum because this is where people go when they have a problem.

I've done some Mods on my MINI, but I can hardly wait until it is out of warranty, so I can do some more radical mods to it.

Dave

Old 03-20-2011, 07:05 PM
Headlands
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DneprDave
My Clubman hasn't seen the dealer's shop since I got it. You are going to see many more problems on any car forum because this is where people go when they have a problem.

I've done some Mods on my MINI, but I can hardly wait until it is out of warranty, so I can do some more radical mods to it.

Dave
With all due respect I see this a lot on this forum, and I feel it needs addressing. Yes -- on forums you will definitely see more problems, indeed. But the fact is that MINIs score average to lower than average on many major reliability reports out there. There's a reason for this! If you're one of the people who has no problems then that's awesome -- but in general they DO have more problems than the average car. That's just how it is, and no one need be defensive about it (I'm not addressing this last comment at you, Dave, just at those who get angry/defensive when these facts are pointed out).

http://www.jdpower.com/autos/MINI/Co...010/Hatchback/

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com...I_Cooper/2010/

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-declines.html

I am not denigrating how great a car this is at all - I love my MINI. But the fact remains that reliability is not a strong point for the company, generally speaking. This should not be offensive to anyone besides MINI itself as a corporation. And it is, of course, up to each individual whether or not they want to take the risk after the warranty runs out.

Old 12-24-2015, 02:07 AM
greenmonster1918
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Headlands
With all due respect I see this a lot on this forum, and I feel it needs addressing. Yes -- on forums you will definitely see more problems, indeed. But the fact is that MINIs score average to lower than average on many major reliability reports out there. There's a reason for this! If you're one of the people who has no problems then that's awesome -- but in general they DO have more problems than the average car. That's just how it is, and no one need be defensive about it (I'm not addressing this last comment at you, Dave, just at those who get angry/defensive when these facts are pointed out).

http://www.jdpower.com/autos/MINI/Co...010/Hatchback/

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com...I_Cooper/2010/

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-declines.html

I am not denigrating how great a car this is at all - I love my MINI. But the fact remains that reliability is not a strong point for the company, generally speaking. This should not be offensive to anyone besides MINI itself as a corporation. And it is, of course, up to each individual whether or not they want to take the risk after the warranty runs out.
I agree and very well said. My wife has wanted the clubman for awhile now so we found a 2011 Justa loaded with 16,000 miles and pulled the trigger. I drive a corolla and do about 15K a year. Boring yes but reliable and very little out of pocket expense over the life of all the High mileage Toyota's I have owned. That being said if I thought I could buy a Mini Clubman S for myself and run it for 200,000 miles with no major issues I would in a minute.

Old 12-24-2015, 04:12 AM
whaap
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
There are a lot of neat cars out there besides Mini. I wouldn't go Ford. I would consider buying Japanese for reliability. Consider the Scion FR-S or the Mazda Miata. Both are extremely reliable and both are drivers cars.

Old 12-24-2015, 04:37 AM
greenmonster1918
2nd Gear
I have had many NA MIATA'S currently 91 BRG they are just the best