Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Transmission explosion !

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 03:45 PM
Rezz
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission explosion !

Hello every one,

I have a 2006 Mini cooper S with less than 50k miles on it. So I been babying this car since I got it from a guy who sold it to me with 30k miles on it two years ago.

I took my car in for a warranty service and oil change - they looked it over and they had only one error with a wheel speed sensor and they said it was an easy fix. They looked everything over and said it was good to go.

so two days later I was driving to work and just as I was about to get onto the freeway (2.5 miles from where I live) the transmission literally exploded. I have 5 days left on the warranty thankfully -but how is this possible?

I think they try to suggest I'm a bad drive but I would have burnt out the clutch years ago if that was the case and destroyed my previous manual cars and motorcycles. I just use this car as a commuter car and sadly I don't rally her.

Anyone have any similar experience or might know how this is possible?

Old 02-10-2011, 04:20 PM
steve20607
3rd Gear
Hope I never have that experience, but maybe the clutch was cracking anyways and the pieces broke off and thus your explosion.

So it's more of a defective clutch or something related to the tranny.

I'd make sure that you get to inspect the clutch unit.

Old 02-10-2011, 08:10 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
The S trans is pretty stong, so it's rare for you to have it explode.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 02-11-2011, 11:27 AM
kimban
1st Gear
classic example of people who buy a car with low mileage thinking its better than the high mileage gramma driven one.

use your warranty hurrrry.

Old 02-11-2011, 02:41 PM
Cadenza
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There's nothing to complain or worry about. You're getting another tranny and MINI is footing the bill.... lucky one!

Old 02-11-2011, 05:09 PM
Rezz
Neutral
Hey guys,

Here are some photos because we all love to see tragic photos from time to time.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/59483232@N08/

In terms of getting a new tranny, I hope so ;however, I can see this being an uphill battle (esp how much that part is going to cost) and that's what I worry about. I can't imagine the dealer ship not putting up a fight-esp since I only had 5 days left on the warranty. The dealership were the last people to handle the car and it wasn't leaking oil before I took it to them.

after poking around the net, I'm wondering if it's possible they didn't drain the oil and put in another few quart of fresh oil and that manage to build enough pressure to explode?

It just doesn't make sense how I could be going 30 miles an hour and then it just explodes. I didn't even make it to the free way entrance ( a 2.5 distance) ugg

Last edited by Rezz; 02-11-2011 at 05:26 PM.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:15 PM
markjenn
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rezz
In terms of getting a new tranny, I hope so ;however, I can see this being an uphill battle (esp how much that part is going to cost) and that's what I worry about. I can't imagine the dealer ship not putting up a fight-esp since I only had 5 days left on the warranty. The dealership were the last people to handle the car and it wasn't leaking oil before I took it to them.
Why don't you wait and see what the dealer says before hitting the panic button? Stuff breaks (even explodes), sometimes without warning. If it breaks in warranty, they'll fix it good as new. You're probably worrying about absolutely nothing.

- Mark

Old 02-11-2011, 11:18 PM
Cadenza
5th Gear
I like this pic better... is it pain that you were feeling in your head???

I don't think you should worry. Unless Mini can prove you were racing a Corvette, I don't see how they can deny warranty repair on this.

Old 02-12-2011, 03:55 AM
HRM
6th Gear
Some folks would say you are very lucky. Five days away from a real wallethurt.

Old 02-12-2011, 10:51 AM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
It sounds like you're covered, don't panic now! Just be calm when dealing with the dealership, they can smell fear

Old 02-12-2011, 11:55 AM
mini53
3rd Gear
So no warning what so ever?

Old 02-12-2011, 12:03 PM
SNEEEZY - Erika
Rattle Can Queen!!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rezz
Hello every one,

I have a 2006 Mini cooper S with less than 50k miles on it. So I been babying this car since I got it from a guy who sold it to me with 30k miles on it two years ago.

I took my car in for a warranty service and oil change - they looked it over and they had only one error with a wheel speed sensor and they said it was an easy fix. They looked everything over and said it was good to go.

so two days later I was driving to work and just as I was about to get onto the freeway (2.5 miles from where I live) the transmission literally exploded. I have 5 days left on the warranty thankfully -but how is this possible?

I think they try to suggest I'm a bad drive but I would have burnt out the clutch years ago if that was the case and destroyed my previous manual cars and motorcycles. I just use this car as a commuter car and sadly I don't rally her.

Anyone have any similar experience or might know how this is possible?
Do you happen to know the "in-service" date of your MINI?

The warranty is 4yrs/50,000 miles from the "in-service" date, so hopefully your MINI's "in-service" date is after Feb. 10, 2007.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:31 AM
Rezz
Neutral
Still waiting on the dealerhsip to see what happened.

The car is still in the warranty so I should be covered as long as they don't find me at fault.

The strange thing is, there was no sounds, no rattle nothing- for something like that you would expect a wheezing engine I would imagine, or something unsettling. The other thing is, wouldn't the clutch give out first? vs the transmission? or If I was driving in 1 st gear for the 2 years I had that car wouldn't I have just burned out the clutch even sooner?

I'm pretty sure I have nothing to worry about, but the whole situation is just bizarre.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:34 PM
Rezz
Neutral
Hey everyone,

So I finally got my car back from the dealership today, and they are claiming I drove to aggressive with the car since clutch plate turned blue. (aka abuse) They were good about the transmission though-they used my one time "good will gesture" and replaced the whole transmission and a few sensors. So I just had to foot the bill for the clutch. 700.00 bucks They said my clutch warranty was out so they wouldn't replace it for free.

leaving home later in the night to get a bite to eat I notice this horrible site........she is leaking AGAIN! and I only drove 11.8 miles..

even after I move the car just a little- a new puddle is formed. anyone have any recommended advice on this sort of situation? I mean, they replaced the clutch and transmission it shouldn't be leaking right?!

more fun photos here http://www.flickr.com/photos/59483232@N08/

Old 02-24-2011, 02:51 AM
steve20607
3rd Gear
I would call your SA first thing in the morning, tell him/her what happened, keep the pics for evidence (discreetly let them know you have them), demand that they offer to tow the car at their expense (say you don't want to be blamed for any further damages) and request for a free loaner car.

It looks like the master clutch cylinder is at fault here now or someone forget to tighten something done like a connecting hose, maybe you have a bad clutch seal.

Clearly you're not at fault here and something the mechanic should have looked into before releasing the car and now, having to return the car for more repairs.

G/L, keep us posted.

Old 02-24-2011, 07:32 AM
eaglebeagle
4th Gear
$700 for a clutch sounds pretty good... And yeah, certainly call in and see if they want you limping it in, or towed.

Old 02-24-2011, 07:49 AM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I agree with what the others have said, sometimes things just break - it's not necessarily anyone's fault. These are machines, parts can fail, sometimes catastrophically so....and I seriously doubt it was anything you did.

The blue clutch does make me wonder tho if the previous owner might have been a tad rough on the car, and that's why he was selling it, he knew something was wrong and you just didn't hear it because it was all new to you?

Doesn't matter anymore, and it's pure speculation on my part....

The right thing to do is call the service dept, describe what's going on and let them make the call - that way they're responsible for anything that goes wrong.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:52 AM
Cadenza
5th Gear
You can call them out for NOT executing the repair aggressively!!!

Old 02-25-2011, 03:27 PM
volki
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Cadenza
You can call them out for NOT executing the repair aggressively!!!
Nice

Old 03-01-2011, 10:49 PM
firehawk618
2nd Gear
From what I can see in your pics, your clutch pressure plate exploded, taking out the transmission with it.

I'll admit this is the first time i've seen a pressure plate blow up, on a car that's not heavily modified.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:53 PM
Rezz
Neutral
mini dave- yeah I feel the same way, I have no idea how the other driver drove the car. Ironically the guy I bought it from was a co-workers high school friend back in the day,(he didn't know until after the purchase too) and he thought he was alright with it but at this point its all speculation.

but I got the car back before anything els should blow up, and at first there was a little huff about them towing the car. "The car isn't under warranty so we really can't tow it." but they gave in thankfully.

In the end, the oil leak was oil filter cap and o ring. Apparently both times. So after the 50k mile oil change they messed up on it as well and that's where the first leak came from.

I'm noticing a squeaking in the steering wheel now but F it. I'm just going to make a mess myself. (sounds like two wires pinching)

thanks for all the info/help guys! I really appreciate it.