Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

clutch...

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 11:15 PM
luseboy
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clutch...

Hello all,
So i've been having clutch issues with my car pretty much since a month after i bought it. I at first thought it was the clutch itself, and started to look into having the clutch replaced. The cheapest estimate i've gotten is a whopping 1200 dollars, the most expensive was 3200 dollars, believe it or not, these are just labor costs, after discounts as these are people i know personally. Well more recently, i had a revolution. I thought "maybe it's just the 30 dollar slave cylinder". Well needless to say, i went ahead an ordered a slave cylinder, and 2 quarts of brake fluid. I guess i jumped the gun a little, i just tonight went under the car just to check the slave cylinder thats on there now. I pushed back the boot on it, and, to my surprise, not a single drop of moisture in the boot, in fact, no brake fluid anywhere around the cylinder. Well at this point im pretty sure it's a hydraulic issue, as the clutch never slips, just feels wierd, and sometimes doesn't fully engage. In fact, the only problem i have with the acctual clutch/fly is the chewbacca noise, which doesnt really happen much anymore anyways. Also, i can pump it up, as if it were a brake hydraulic issue. But I don't think it's the slave, unless there is some other way to check it? what are the tell-tale signs of the master cylinder failing? where can i find this cylinder? My plan is to bleed(flush) the whole brake/clutch system, and see if it fixes it. I guess honestly im a little bummed it wasn't the slave, as it would have been an easy fix, and i already have the cylinder. Any ideas? Im probably gonna bleed/flush the whole brake/clutch system either tomorrow or sometime this weekend, so i'll go ahead and post up if that fixes it or not. Also FWIW, i am putting in new powerflex bushings for the gearbox mount this weekend as well, so possibly that could somehow fix it a bit... not sure that that would be related at all.

Who's got an idea of what my problem is??
Thanks
Austin

Old 01-29-2011, 07:12 PM
dsaunders
1st Gear
I think you are on the right track trying to bleed the system. Sounds to me like you may have some air in the lines. Be careful with the bleed nut on the slave cylinder. It is plastic and it will break easily when you tighten it. Also, unlike bleeding brakes or most clutches, you will have to turn the bleed nut about 4 flats before you get fluid. Good luck. I hope it fixes your problem.

Old 01-29-2011, 07:17 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
Read up before you decide to bleed that clutch. The slave cylinder has to be compressed to bleed it. There is a special tool for it. So you'll have to figure out how to do it without the tool. But if you don't compress the cylinder you'll never get it bled right.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 01-29-2011, 07:42 PM
luseboy
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
Read up before you decide to bleed that clutch. The slave cylinder has to be compressed to bleed it. There is a special tool for it. So you'll have to figure out how to do it without the tool. But if you don't compress the cylinder you'll never get it bled right.
I've heard you can just use a piece of wood and some long bolts with wing nuts. would this work? Thats what i was gonna try, as from what i've seen in videos/read, it seems to work just fine... although i have seen far too many posts talking about it not working right. anyways, i just put on some powerflex gearbox mount bushings today, and so far its seemed to help a lot, oddly enough... the old bushings were toast, and when i undid the piece of metal that went from the bushing to the strut mount, it had a TON of play in it. Now the clutch works great, everything does...

I acctually have a question for you way. So im thinking its time to do all the engine mount bushings, after doing the gearbox bushing today. Im thinking of using some of your race bushings... im just wondering what the problem is with using them on a street car? is it just an uncomfortable idle? or does it have to do with some other problem i can't seem to understand? My plan as of now is to do: tsw motor mount, WMW race bushings for the lower motor mount and smaller upper engine mount, and then powerflex for the larger upper motor mount. bad idea? I'm 17, so i don't really mind a loud idle too much at all... haha.