Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Weird cold start-up noise (R53)?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 06:26 AM
S-thing
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nick-
End of the video says it all. "got it!"

That is exactly my noise. My mechanic says its the starter. Granted I have not fixed it ($$) so always a possibility it is something else. If I was still under warranty I'd be at the dealer.

Jim

Old 11-08-2011, 12:48 PM
Nick5811
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by S-thing
Nick-
End of the video says it all. "got it!"

That is exactly my noise. My mechanic says its the starter. Granted I have not fixed it ($$) so always a possibility it is something else. If I was still under warranty I'd be at the dealer.

Jim
Thanks for the validation Jim. I think I'll try to get my starter replaced and see what happens.

I had the starter go out on my Silverado one time, leaving me stranded at the Mission Valley mall. The actual solenoid had a charred HOLE in it when I got it off. $80 bucks and an hour later I was back in business, but man that was inconvenient. I'd say that noise and the potential for failure bothers me enough to warrant a replacement, especially with winter coming. I'll keep you all updated with my progress, and whether or not this fixes the noise.

Last edited by Nick5811; 11-08-2011 at 07:45 PM.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:12 PM
kris kross
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm 99% sure it's the starter. Mine has been doing it for over a year only when the engine is cold. Sounds bad, but nothing to worry about. I just haven't gotten around to check it out.

Old 11-21-2011, 08:18 PM
drfubar
2nd Gear
The recorded sound Is the starter. Only happens at first start of the day, more if its cold.
I have the same problem, started at 103k miles. My mechanic of 6 years said to leave it alone till it dies since its expensive.
Does anyone know where the heck a bird chirping sound could be coming from? it seems to be from one of the accessories since it goes faster with the engine revs.
its only there when the car is cold for 2 mins in the morning.

Old 01-16-2012, 05:38 PM
MrCooperS
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It's the starter. Mines has been doing that since September and now the starter works every now and then. I need replace the starter now. Here's what my starter sounds like now - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KRoeM4DNK0

I also think a noisy throwout bearing can make that noise.

Old 07-17-2012, 05:29 PM
S-thing
1st Gear
There it was - Gone!

The start-up chatter on my '04 Mini has been eliminated. The "fix" has held for 8 months so far and I did NOT replace the starter... In fact, I'm not 100% sure how I made the starter noise stop since I did two unrelated things to my car at the same time...

1) Coolant flush - The flush itself is unlikely the fix. However, when refilling the reservoir I spilled a cup or two of coolant down the back of the engine. Basically the coolant reservoir is right above the starter so my theory is the spilled coolant cleaned something and "fixed" the starter.

2) Took a really long drive - After the coolant flush, I drove the car for around 14 hours straight (last December, holiday stuff...). I don't think this was the "fix" but I'm a scientist, and well, this is a known variable.

My suspicion is #1 did the trick, if anyone is battling a start-up noise, a little engine cleaning may do the trick. It can't hurt and is much cheaper than replacing the starter.

Good Luck,
- Jim

Old 07-17-2012, 06:17 PM
Mical
4th Gear
Your coolant flush spill probably washed some road grime off battery cables at starter -> cleaning cables to make better contact. Any resistance at those connections will cause starter to chatter. Similar to a low voltage battery.

Old 10-03-2012, 01:31 PM
Don Boyum
Neutral
My 04 S 92k makes the exact same sound at the exact same time as the video from Nick5811 http://youtu.be/UsU6Ni99Umg. Has anyone actually replaced the starter and fixed the noise?

Old 10-05-2012, 07:55 AM
S-thing
1st Gear
Hi Don,

I did not replace my starter. As stated in my previous post, the noise went away possibly after "cleaning" with coolant. It has been 10 months and the noise has not returned. (fingers still crossed...). The "starter noise" issue is still a mystery so if you successfully eliminate the noise please post!
-Jim

Old 12-31-2012, 07:48 AM
MD2be
1st Gear
I've just started having the same problem with my 2002 R53 (137k). The noise almost sounds like someone has installed a bench saw under the hood on the driver's side. It was so loud this morning, it could be heard on the upper level of my house. It seems to have gotten worse as it has gotten colder, and it goes away upon driving for a short distance. It is unchanged by whether the clutch is depressed or not, and increases in intensity/frequency with an increase in RPMs. I guess this is the same sound, but I'm gonna take it in to get checked out this week(took a different car to work today).

Old 01-21-2013, 02:00 PM
Minibeagle
6th Gear
Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
I have the exact same issue as Nick5811. Short squeak on cold startup then the sound goes away. Only happens when it's colder.

Mine is a 2006 JCW Competition Edition. It's going to the shop on Wed foran oil change and to check for source of coolant leak. I'll ask them to take a peak to see if they know what's causing it. I have a sneaking suspicion that it's possibly related to the coolant leak

Dec 5th, 2013 - Noticed I never updated this post.

It was the starter going bad. Had it replaced this spring and have not had any issues since.

Last edited by Minibeagle; 12-05-2013 at 12:41 PM.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:31 AM
gknorr
6th Gear
Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts
Reviving this thread - I have a similar sound happening on cold starts, but a little different. Started happening after the weather turned colder (20s - 40s).

Here's mine:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbQ2-...ature=youtu.be

Happens from 5-6 seconds in the video. I'm thinking it's probably the starter.

If anyone has trouble hearing it over the beeping let me know - I'll try getting another video of it.

No other symptoms of anything wrong once it's running.

Old 12-05-2013, 12:45 PM
Minibeagle
6th Gear
Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Sounds pretty much like mine did, except in you case the noise is a little more drawn out timewise.

To me it sounds like it's your starter. As I just updated on my post of Jan 21st, 2013 of this thread, replacing the starter did the trick

Old 12-05-2013, 12:54 PM
gknorr
6th Gear
Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Minibeagle
Sounds pretty much like mine did, except in you case the noise is a little more drawn out timewise.

To me it sounds like it's your starter. As I just updated on my post of Jan 21st, 2013 of this thread, replacing the starter did the trick
Thanks - good to know. Not sure I'll replace it yet since it's still working...we'll see. Would hate to get stranded one day when it finally completely gives out.

Old 04-23-2015, 02:16 PM
Curbiecooper
2nd Gear
Brining it back..

So I have an 08manual Cooper s. I have had it make this noise 2 or 3 times and actually had it happen when I was at the shop.. He said it was the starter and I should have it replaced. Well I have put it off since it hasn't made the noise again but he said it could effect the flywheel? So should I just wait till it keeps up or should I go for the change?

Old 04-26-2015, 03:14 PM
S-thing
1st Gear
Curbiecooper,

I can't answer your question but my 04 MCS starter (suspected, never confirmed) has been making the noise on and off since 2011. It did it pretty regularly back in 2011 and not as often now. Never fixed it. At this point I have not had any other issues related to the starter or flywheel. My mechanic checked it early on said there was no urgency to fix it and just to replace the starter when I had the car apart. Assuming the noise is the starter gear not disengaging there should not be any load between the gears (when the sound occurs the motor is spinning the starter not the other way around) . At this point I figure either the starter will die or I will need a clutch and will swap out the starter while I'm in there. So far neither has happened.

-Jim