Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

$4000 in repairs already?! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 02:18 PM
bakkenmini
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
$4000 in repairs already?! Help!

I just purchased my 2006 MC almost exactly 2 months ago, with 52k miles on it, from a small independent dealership. I had it inspected at a BMW dealership near my house (to the tune of over $100) to make sure there weren't any issues with it, and they gave it a clean bill of health.

I recently brought it to the Mini dealership (which is quite a bit further from me compared to the BMW dealership) to have it looked at as the clutch is making a whirring noise when I disengage it, likely a worn throwout bearing, and I was prepared to have to replace the whole clutch/flywheel assembly because of it.

However - today I get the estimate back with the following additional repairs:

-Clutch assembly (not surprised)
-Power steering pump fan
-Engine mount
-Crankshaft position sensor seal
-Alternator/water pump drive belt tensioner
-Right tie rod & alignment

The clutch issue didn't present itself until well after the inspection, but should BMW have recognized the other issues? Now I'm really upset because if they had seen those other items, they could have been repaired under the 30 day warranty I had with the original dealership.

My first mistake was probably not bringing it to the Mini dealership in the first place for its inspection...of course hindsight is 20/20.

Old 12-15-2010, 02:23 PM
mini53
3rd Gear
Find an independent mechanic, I am sure someone can recommend someone near you and it will probably be half the price. The only expensive thing on your list will be the clutch work I believe.

Old 12-15-2010, 02:33 PM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
You could also look at this as a great opportunity to learn how to work on your own car instead of relying on others all the time. I think pretty much any DIYer could do everything on your list except the clutch and possibly the tie rod....while they're in there have them check the thermostat gasket - they're prone to leaking and it's an easy repair while the tranny is out for the clutch.

And yes, you should have invested the time to take it to the MINI dealer for a checkover...... but as you said, hindsight.....

Check if there's a MINI club in your area, you'll find lots of knowledgable and willing help there too.

Old 12-15-2010, 02:39 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Find an independant mechanic that works on mini's...
Most of the stuff on that list is pretty cheap...the tensioner is about $200, the upper mount is 85$, the PS fan is about $200...
The PS fan is easy to diy...the mount and tennsioner are both doable too...
The clutch IMO is a job for a pro with a mini...full day job, the dealer labor cost is usually 2x of local shops...adds up quick, especially on a 8 hour clutch job...
Simply no reason to have it done at mini if cost is a concern.

Old 12-15-2010, 02:44 PM
JAB 67
6th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts
Even at a dealer I have a hard time understanding how that bill gets to $4,000.

Old 12-15-2010, 02:44 PM
Mister E
2nd Gear
Hey, quick tip...

Get up under the engine and spray the heck out of the power steering pump fan with some WD-40.

Mine was seized and now it's fine.

Old 12-15-2010, 06:08 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 756 Likes on 618 Posts
Find a shop other than the dealer to do the repairs. But I def would go back to the dealer that did the inspection with a copy from the MINI dealer and ask them to answer why they didn't find any of these problems.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 12-16-2010, 07:44 AM
buzzsaw
6th Gear
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
Found this independent shop in Eden Prairie and this shop in Bloomington. Might want to give them a call. Good luck.

Old 12-16-2010, 07:59 AM
03M1N1
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by bakkenmini
I just purchased my 2006 MC almost exactly 2 months ago, with 52k miles on it, from a small independent dealership. I had it inspected at a BMW dealership near my house (to the tune of over $100) to make sure there weren't any issues with it, and they gave it a clean bill of health.

I recently brought it to the Mini dealership (which is quite a bit further from me compared to the BMW dealership) to have it looked at as the clutch is making a whirring noise when I disengage it, likely a worn throwout bearing, and I was prepared to have to replace the whole clutch/flywheel assembly because of it.

However - today I get the estimate back with the following additional repairs:

-Clutch assembly (not surprised)
-Power steering pump fan
-Engine mount
-Crankshaft position sensor seal
-Alternator/water pump drive belt tensioner
-Right tie rod & alignment

The clutch issue didn't present itself until well after the inspection, but should BMW have recognized the other issues? Now I'm really upset because if they had seen those other items, they could have been repaired under the 30 day warranty I had with the original dealership.

My first mistake was probably not bringing it to the Mini dealership in the first place for its inspection...of course hindsight is 20/20.

I'm going to assume that the small dealer you bought it from, sold it "as is", with no warranty whatsoever? How many days has it been?? Can you take the car back to them??

Old 12-16-2010, 10:46 AM
bakkenmini
1st Gear
Thanks everyone for the advice. At this point we're getting the imminent stuff done @ the dealer - clutch, tension rod, and power steering pump fan (since they'll be there working on the clutch anyways). My husband was able to talk them into giving us a small discount on the clutch job somehow.

I did take it to Orr Autosport initially to have the clutch noise looked at, and all they did was drive it around the block a bit, claim they could hardly hear the sound, and advised I could drive with a wearing throwout bearing, and that it would just get louder. Honestly I was happier with the more comprehensive checkup Bjorn got at the Mini dealership.

I have a phone call out to the other dealership to discuss why they gave me a clean bill of health when all these other issues were there; a manager is supposed to get in touch with me today. The original small dealer sold the car with a 30 day/1k mile warranty which has since expired - had the BMW dealership caught these issues upon their inspection, much of this could have been taken care of under that warranty.