Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Louise is in for repair so time to upgrade!!! ;-)

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 07:02 AM
scottab36
5th Gear
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Louise is in for repair so a good time to upgrade

So here's what's up. I took Louise in thinking that the rear main seal was leaking. Not a good feeling since this can mean something else major might be wrong which caused the rear main to start leaking.

The MINI dealer gets everything apart to discover that the rear main seal is not leaking (that's good) but it's the input shaft seal on the transmission that's leaking.

I'm not sure why it's leaking because when I installed the OS Giken LSD I treated everything with "kid gloves". I even asked before installing the LSD if I needed to replace the seal on the input shaft because I was already replacing both output shaft seals. The consensus was "NO" since no one has seen it leak before. Who knew??? So the MINI dealer is replacing the seal on the transmission along with the rear main seal since everything is apart.
I knew they had to remove the clutch and flywheel to get to the rear main seal so I decided to do an upgrade of opportunity and install the OK Giken STR Clutch which is 8 pounds lighter than the stock flywheel and clutch.

When I was up at the MINI dealer yesterday my entire sub-frame for the engine was removed and I see three things I can upgrade; both control arm bushings and the front swaybar. With the bulk of the installation cost for these pieces already covered by the labor to replace the rear main seal I located some PowerflexUSA front control arm bushings and the MINI dealer has ordered in the JCW Sport Suspension 24mm front swaybar and bushings.

I know, just when I thought I was finished with the upgrades.....

Last edited by scottab36; 10-18-2010 at 04:45 PM.