>, nam, north american motoring, mini, mini cooper, nam forum, forum, cooper, mini cooper forum, reviews, sale, r52, r50, jcw, r56, r57,r55, cabrio, clubman, r58, r60" />> - North American Motoring" />

Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Is the "regular" Mini more reliable/practical?>>

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2003, 09:44 AM
mini2b
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi gang!
First post,but no stranger to forums.I see MUCH talk of the S series,but not much about the regular four bangers.
What I've picked up on thus far is this:
Stumbling
"yoyo" effect
windshield can crack if you hit pothole real hard
fuel filter removal can be done,but will probably stink up inside the car.
Do these things {especially stumble/yoyo} effect the regular mini too?
I think the S is SMOKIN!But I'm mr.practical and like reliability/simplicity.
I'd love to hear from the owners of the non S series car,there must be a few right?
The S owners are welcome too,since they move faster down the road. :smile:
These are the best looking cars I've seen in years.I wanted a new VW beetle,but found it's seems to be cursed as being a "girl car",I never see men driving them.But then again the Turbo S beetle is a hot ride.I see a pretty even mix of male vs. female drivers in the minis.
I love the new Italian job movie,REALLY makes you want one after watching it!
Anyways,thanks for listening to my blather.......

Old 12-06-2003, 01:04 PM
OmToast
OVERDRIVE
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
*Climbing on to soapbox*

<<<I wanted a new VW beetle,but found it's seems to be cursed as being a "girl car",>>>

I object quite strenuously to gender stereotyping vehicles. It's absurd. I object even more strenuously to your suggestion that being associated with females is somehow a "curse". That's beyond absurd.

*Climbing down from soapbox*

The dreaded Stumble/YoYo and all it's attributes also affects the MC. You might peruse the many Stumble threads to read exactly how. The MCS windscreen had a problem with stress fractures occuring in the OEM glass, however these cracks often showed up over night and don't, as far as I know, have anything to do with potholes. I have a MCS, I had a stress crack, and I live in Pittsburgh so I drive on potholes more often than I drive on actual road surface. My windscreen never cracked after hitting one, and I've had no problems with the aftermarket PPG glass.

If you prefer the simpler things, I can't imagine that chucking in an added piece of equipment (supercharger) should be up your alley, but I've been wrong before. Everything I've heard around here suggests that the 04 models have a better build quality overall, with many problems resolved. V36 now takes care of performance issues with both the MC and MCS.
:smile:

Old 12-06-2003, 01:33 PM
resmini
6th Gear
MY 03 MC has no stumble or yo-yo that I've noticed. It's very smooth.

The S receives more attention for a couple of reasons. My guess is the number one reason is that more enthusiast buy the S and there're more likely to talk on a board about their car. Also, the "top of the line" of almost anything normally receives the most attention. After all, there's no such thing as too much power.

I love my MC but I ain't driving an S........can't afford to want one.

I like the new Beetle, especially the convertible. To me it makes a better convertible than the MINI does.

Just make sure you get what you want and don't worry about what other people think.

"You can't please everybody, so you gotta please yourself". From "Garden Party" sung by the very underrated Rick Nelson.

Old 12-06-2003, 01:42 PM
mini2b
Neutral
Wow,flamed first time out!Glad I brought my toasted smiley.

My current car looks like this.I love my Satty,the mini would make a great companion in a Britsh Racing Green.

Old 12-06-2003, 02:06 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
:smile:

Old 12-06-2003, 02:32 PM
Cooptime
3rd Gear
I got a MC (w/ CVT if you care). Works like a dream. Mine has every option available (minus nav and PDC->in the smallest car sold in america? NO WAY). Only problem I had were rattles. They were of course taken care of by the dealer. What else, Um. I think the CVT is a gem of a tranny. It has 3 modes, D (for normal "around town" driving), SD (a tap of shifter to right-keeps car at higher revs for a noticable boost in power), and the manual shift mode (tap it up to down-is sportiest of modes b/c you selct gear like a clutchless manual; also does good engine brking on hills). I did test drive all 3 varients in the MINI line, and found the CVT cool b/c of the mode option. Depending on my driving mood, I select a mode. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't add/subtract anything. The MFSW is amazing. The runroof makes the car feel larger inside IMO. If you want to know about any specific option, just ask :smile: . Hope I gave some insight.

Old 12-06-2003, 02:42 PM
greatgro
6th Gear
I wanted a new VW beetle,but found it's seems to be cursed as being a "girl car"
*Climbing on to soapbox*
I object quite strenuously to gender stereotyping vehicles. It's absurd...
*Climbing down from soapbox*
Yeah well, anyway, the Beetle IS a chick car.

Old 12-06-2003, 03:14 PM
scobib
5th Gear
>>Hi gang!
>>>>Do these things {especially stumble/yoyo} effect the regular mini too?
>>
>>The S owners are welcome too,since they move faster down the road. :smile:

From my experience in our local MINI club, nobody with the MC has experienced the stumble or yo-yo. I know I never have... mine just pulls and pulls.

Don't sell the MC short, either. From our club runs the MC's have been able to hang right with the MCS' - and in some cases are faster through the twisties. Much depends on the driver, of course, but some of it also has to deal with the ease of spinning a drive wheel on the MCS in the really tight stuff.

Personally, I laugh at those MCS drivers who feel their car is superior to the MC simply for the fact it's got an 'S' on it. I won't deny that the 'S' offers many advantages, and feel that it definitely has its own merits (the 6-speed being one, ability to tweak more hp rather easily being another). IMHO, to each his/her own.

The only disadvantage is in a straight line, and at speed in the twisties or on an auto-x track, it's less of an advantage. The only MC's that can't seem to keep up are those equipped with the CVT, although there's now one in our club with nearly everything having been modified in the engine bay (polished/ported head, Milltek header, Shrick cam, software, cat-back, etc.) and it should be interesting to see what happens on the next club outing (from what I have heard, it's quite impressive).

I'm sold on my MC. I originally bought it with H-Stock SCCA Solo II autocross in mind and did partake for some time, but I couldn't help but start modifying it... with the BMP/Promini intake, Borla cat-back, H&R springs, and the other mods I've done, it's sublime. I plan on keeping it for a long time to come.

Old 12-06-2003, 03:17 PM
resmini
6th Gear
>I meant no offense,and I'll warn y'all I'm not very "politically correct" at times.<

Not to worry, a little political incorrectness is a good thing.

Old 12-06-2003, 03:35 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
mini2b,

Aloha and welcome to NAM.

>>First post,but no stranger to forums.I see MUCH talk of the S series,but not much about the regular four bangers.
We usually refer to the Cooper as MC and Cooper S as MCS. Both cars are very similar and all are four bangers.
Biggest difference is that the MC is a normally aspirated engine and the MCS has an intercooler and supercharger.
Each car has it's own set of problems that are known and some problems are shared.

>>What I've picked up on thus far is this:
>>Stumble
Can be seen in both MC and MCS as a hesitation/shuttering of the throttle on acceleration especially at about 2000 rpm in 1st gear only.
>>"yoyo" effect
Can be seen in the MCS as a jerky throttle response especially on deceleration about 1900 to 2800 rpm in 2nd and/or 3rd gear.

>>windshield can crack if you hit pothole real hard
Windshield earlier than the 2004 MINIs can chip and crack easily if hit just right with stones at highway speeds.
The front A pillars on the 2004 were strenghened to address that problem.
>>fuel filter removal can be done,but will probably stink up inside the car.
This is not generally a problem.

>>Do these things {especially stumble/yoyo} effect the regular mini too?
Stalling and stumble are known complaints for the MC especially with CVT and could be related to the software for the ECU. Hopefully v.36 software update will remedy that.

>>I think the S is SMOKIN!But I'm mr.practical and like reliability/simplicity.
Obviously the MC is simpler and practical but also has less power. Reliability of the intercooler and supercharger is not an issue. While some MINIs have had problems most are very reliable.
Leaky Coolant bottle- most common in MCS and some bottles have been replaced under warranty many times.

>>I'd love to hear from the owners of the non S series car,there must be a few right?
Roughly half of the owners drive the MC. Perhaps a larger percentage of enthusiasts drive the MCS.
>>The S owners are welcome too,since they move faster down the road. :smile:
>>These are the best looking cars I've seen in years.I wanted a new VW beetle,but found it's seems to be cursed as being a "girl car"
We have had discussions about that topic on NAM in the past. MINIs can be dressed up anyway you want to from repainted metallic pink to very aggressive in formal black everything down to the rims. You choose.

Either MC or MCS is fine for daily use for those that are practical and want a reliable car. Test drive both.
2004 MINIs are much better than 2002 models. I have a 2003 MCS and it is doing just fine after one leaky coolant bottle that was replaced.

Old 12-06-2003, 05:50 PM
OmToast
OVERDRIVE
<-------- saving time, words and effort by MENTALLY FLAMING GREATGRO!!!

Mini2b... ok, you pass. I've hopefully established myself as the resident rabid femminazi (and if I haven't, someone please let me know. I can always do more!)--got to keep the community clean... welcome!

Old 12-06-2003, 06:06 PM
mini2b
Neutral
"Initiation" is never easy!
At least I was'nt dropped off in the middle of the Nevada desert at night wearing just a Hula skirt with a coconut shell bra and given a quarter to get home with........

Old 12-06-2003, 06:36 PM
OmToast
OVERDRIVE
^^ he he he...

Old 12-06-2003, 06:41 PM
greatgro
6th Gear
[quote] <-------- saving time, words and effort by MENTALLY FLAMING GREATGRO!!! :smile:

Old 12-06-2003, 06:46 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
>>"Initiation" is never easy! :evil:

Old 12-06-2003, 08:27 PM
mini2b
Neutral
Yes,I'll put it in the back of your mini,it should JUST fit in there.
Hey,even though you folks don't drive Saturns here,you're allright!

Old 12-08-2003, 12:08 PM
Shoeguypj
Neutral
*Standing up on soapbox*

Let's try to get back on the subject.

*Getting off of soapbox*

Let's just remember back to the golden days when Sir Alec came out with a certain car in the very late 50's that was an economical car, had great gas mileage, but yet fun to drive around town (i.e. the Mini). Why did a 19 year old kid pay 24,000 dollars for a MINI Cooper in Hot Springs, Arkansas on the 15th March of 2002, (just for info they wanted 32,000 for the Cooper S) maybe some of it was stupidity, maybe it was the first 3 new MINI's in the entire state of AR, maybe I had done 2 years worth of research on the little car with spy photos, reviews, car show info and the history of the Mini for nothing? I don't know to tell you the truth, but that little brief glimpse into my car "Petey", I saw what others had worshipped for over 40 years. Then a certain man came along that changed everyhing, Mr. John Cooper took a fun, economical car with great gas mileage and tuned the little go-kart into a screaming race car that Smokin' John Rhodes took to many victories (just a refresher course for you all I'm sure). So what I'm trying to get across is that I am going to take my first year edition MINI Cooper (with rattles, leaks and faults alike just like my predecessor) and follow in the previous footsteps by taking a fun, economical and spacious small car and turn it into a redefiniton of the sports car. Why did I not buy the Cooper S when I could have waited and bought one from a MINI dealership, why didn't I wait? The answer lies behind the driver seat of my baby, my pride, my joy and my work in progress. Peace out, and happy motoring..........

Oh wait, do I need to step off the soapbox again I can't remember? Oh well........

Old 12-09-2003, 01:51 PM
mexminime
4th Gear
Haven´t heard of any MC with yo-yo or stumble either, but I´d say both models have about the same issues. Truth is the MINI is no Toyota in terms of reliability

In terms of power, the MCS has more but it kicks in at higher revs, so from 0-40 both cars feel about the same. For a lot people (including myself) the MC has quite a good engine, enough for everyday driving and not getting blown off by all cars (as opposed to a 2.0 liter beetle)

Practicality: Both MINIs are the same
Looks: Some love the classic look of the MC and some love the more sporty look of the S

Old 12-09-2003, 07:25 PM
TehMinnay
Neutral
hell, my 71 cooper is more reliable.

Old 12-09-2003, 09:20 PM
slangager
3rd Gear
>>hell, my 71 cooper is more reliable.

Not sure what that's all about.....If you like your old MINI so much you should spend more time reading those forums rather then these.......Oh wait, the old MINI doesn't have the same support or enthusiasm as the new MINI. I guess I understand.....Jealousy will get you no where....These are two different animals.

Anyway, on a similar topic. I bought the base MC because I thought it was a bit more practical then the "S". I've owned really fast cars and neither MINI is what I would consider fast. Yeah, the "S" has more power but you have to ask yourself how you will be driving most of the time. The gearing in the two cars is totally different. That is why the base MC is equally as fast if not faster to 45-50MPH then the "S". By the time the "S" reaches the end of first gear I've shifted to second and am approaching redline.....Think about that....

Styling is another issue....I like both but prefer the bonnet of the base MC.
The base MC has a spare tire.
The base MC gets better gas mileage.
The base MC is lighter.......

When it was all said and done my MC was only $1200 less then a equally equipped MCS. I could have easily justified the $1200 on the "S" but when it came down to it the reason I was buying a MC was because I wanted simplest, lightest MINI I could buy. With those parameters I chose the base. That being said I have been very happy with no regrets since the purchase(8 months ago)....Just my.02

Stuart

Old 12-09-2003, 09:24 PM
Kohu'ulaMINI
5th Gear
>>
>>I'm sold on my MC. I originally bought it with H-Stock SCCA Solo II autocross in mind and did partake for some time, but I couldn't help but start modifying it... with the BMP/Promini intake, Borla cat-back, H&R springs, and the other mods I've done, it's sublime. I plan on keeping it for a long time to come.

I LOVE my MC!!!!!!
No major problems after 9mos. and 9800 blissfull miles

I also bought my MC for H-Stock SCCA and am doing quite well....bone stock with no mods.....except for a Scrhroth harness and helmet

Don't rule out the MC, it handles the twisties as well as the MCS, IMO