Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Exhaust Leak - Running Lean

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 04:31 AM
ONEFASTGOKART
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust Leak - Running Lean

So my MINI Cooper GP has an Exhaust Leak in the Center Section of the Exhaust. I recently took the GP to a dealer to have them look at it. I told them how the GP would Learch/Skip in high gears (Mainly 4, 5, and 6th), at a steady speed. They looked at the Fault Codes and didn't find anything. I was told that the Exhaust Leak is causing my GP to run Lean. When they did the Scan, it was at 5.6 Points so it's close to 6 points and when it hits 6 points, the Check Engine Light will come on, from what I was told. They told me that since my GP is running so Lean, it is causing the GP to Learch/Skip well Driving at Steady Speeds in High Gears.

Now for my question: If my GP is Running Lean, would that cause the Power, as in Horsepower, to go down? Reason why I ask is because the GP doesn't pull hard like it use to, even in 2nd Gear (Which is where most of the Horsepower is made). This morning when I went on my first drive. I had driven for about 1 mile then I pulled onto a Highway after stopping. Temperature was 35 Degrees. I stepped on the gas (Not hard though) and went through 1st gear, then shifted to 2nd gear and well I'm in 2nd gear going up to 50 MPH, the GP was really Learching/Skipping. It did it for about 5 times.

I'm going to see if I can have the Exhaust Fixed at a shop that the dealer recommended by having it TIG Welded but if that doesn't work then I'll replace the Center Exhaust Section.