Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Door groans, my ears bleed

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 11:43 AM
El Gato Malo
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Door groans, my ears bleed

Hey everyone.

On my '04 MCS, my driver side door has this low pitched groan when I open it that's driving me crazy. During the winter, it was nonexistent, but with the turning weather, it has returned (it happened last year as well). It sounds as if the sound is coming from the area where the bar (in the middle of the door) connects the door to the frame. I've shot lubricant into that area but the bar goes deep inside the door so I'm not sure I'm getting it... or if there is another issue going on that lubricant won't help.

Anyone else have this issue?

Old 04-02-2010, 12:02 PM
AK.JCW
3rd Gear
I've tried everything my tiny brain can think of to get rid of that "old car" noise with no success.

Old 04-02-2010, 01:17 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
That bar...I assume you are Not talking about the one welded to the middle of the door? ( the one that provides side impact protection under the interior cover?)
It makes more sense that the hinge area groans....lube them, and the bar, it should go away!! Just spray, then open/close the door a few times to work the lube in!!
The tiny bar on the door between the hinges is what's limits the max opening of the door I think...it has a stopper on the end I think...the hinges are what need lube... Anything that moves can vibrate...causing noises that " appear" to come from elsewhere!!

Last edited by ZippyNH; 04-02-2010 at 01:24 PM.
Old 04-02-2010, 04:10 PM
nabeshin
Functioning Lunatic
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
New idea, one I will try. Back out the two hinge bolts very slightly, and use a jack and 2x4 scrap to lift and support the door. Then use grease.

Before, I had just used spray lube (not WD40), then put grease on the outside of the hinge seam, and on the "stopper bar" thing. No sounds at all of any kind, and my car is 7.5 years old.

Old 04-02-2010, 04:16 PM
Spooled
3rd Gear
I had the groan as well - but my 06 still had the factory maintenance in effect, so the last time I was in for a service, I let them know and they got rid of it. Prior to going in, I tried to lube it myself and was unsuccessful as well. I really should have asked the techs what they did to get rid of it! DOH!

Old 04-02-2010, 09:23 PM
El Gato Malo
1st Gear
Zippy, I've certainly tried lubing and working it in (many, many times). I'd hope that anyone posting a question like this would have tried the obvious stuff before risking sounding like a food asking such a basic question.
Nabeshin, not a bad suggestion on the lifting. I'm almost to the point where this is sounding like a viable option.

Any others out there with this issue?

Old 04-02-2010, 11:34 PM
dadsalfa
1st Gear
I've used aerosol spray lithium grease,with good results(Liquid Wrench brand).Spray everything that moves,there are some rollers that that bar moves on just inside of the door .The grease sprays on very thin and then after the solvent evaporates becomes nice white lithium grease,after a few days you can wipe off any excess.After some time and some opening and closing the lube works it's way in and the mechanism gets smoother and smoother.

Old 04-05-2010, 06:46 PM
rwkeating
4th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
If I remember correctly, the Bentley manual says to lubricate the doors with 30 weight oil, but it doesn't say how. Those hinges have almost no space in them. I've tried to get oil in there with no luck. Is the only way to do that by removing the hinge pins? That's not too good considering the dealer took care of this once for me (free) and a year later the creaking is back again :( Besides the noise, the extra drag can't be good on the hinges.

Edit: after the dealer took care of this, I couldn't see any tool marks on the hinge bolts, so maybe there is another way to do it?

Old 04-05-2010, 07:37 PM
solberg
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I tried the spray lithium grease today and it solved the problem. Shot it into the door side where the bar attaches.

Old 04-05-2010, 11:39 PM
dadsalfa
1st Gear
Excelent!

It works well on the other latches and mechanisms,hood,hatch etc.,lasts longer than oil and thinner lubes.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:56 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by El Gato Malo
Zippy, I've certainly tried lubing and working it in (many, many times). I'd hope that anyone posting a question like this would have tried the obvious stuff before risking sounding like a food asking such a basic question.
Nabeshin, not a bad suggestion on the lifting. I'm almost to the point where this is sounding like a viable option.

Any others out there with this issue?
No problem...always start with the simple stuff first. If it is lubed...I would look closely at the door when closed...look at the seam around the door...it is even...is there any evidance of the door rubbing?
It is possible the door is a bit out of alighnment...or maybe the hinge is binding because it was tweaked in some way...
The suggstion of taking the weight off the door, then lubing is actually a great idea, and my get some lube into the area which is otherwise binding.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:13 AM
El Gato Malo
1st Gear
Everyone's thoughts have been really helpful, thanks!
I tried the lithium grease idea yesterday. I had to jam the stem of the lube tube way back in there, but so far, it has worked wonderfully!

I thought the door was out of alignment (Zippy) but I suppose I just had some metal rubbing.

Again, thanks gang!

Old 04-06-2010, 06:19 PM
rwkeating
4th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
El Gato Malo, where do you lubricate it? "way back in there" are you saying the noise was coming from the hinges or the part in the door that stops it from opening too far?

Old 04-06-2010, 10:54 PM
El Gato Malo
1st Gear
Rwkeating - I found the middle bar (part of the door that keeps it from opening too far), pushed the slender tube as far in as it would go toward the unseen hinge (?), spritzed just a little, then removed the tube. I noticed that the tube did have a little white grease on it. I figured it was probably from the factory as I hadn't brushed any grease on the rail that far back. Not yet at least.
However, it didn't need it, because after a few swings of the door, the noise was gone.
I