Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

My 2005 MCS conv wont start...HELP..i am freezing

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 06:47 AM
ngweibing
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 2005 MCS conv wont start...HELP..i am freezing

HAppy V day everyone....hope everyone have great day today wit LOTS of love and chocolate

mine day is not starting out good. i iive near NY and this freeezing morning i try to start my car and ntohing happen. the car, light, radio wont turn on and then the windows start to go down by themselves. i did not do anything. NOTHING happen wheni turn on the car keys.. i try to jump start using my friend car adn nothing happen. ....

1.so is it battery problem or something else?
2. mine is a 2005 and there no extended warranty, can i call MINI roadsise assistance?

HELP....HELP....

Old 02-14-2010, 06:59 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Sometimes when the battery is totaly dead, you need to have the jumpercables attatched for a few minutes. Sounds like that might be the case. If you only hook up jumpercables for a few seconds, and they are a thin guages, sometimes the car will not start, since the battery acts like a sponge sucking up the power.
Mini roadside will send the same truck as AAA in most places, so any local garage can do it too. I think they will charge you if you are out of the free roadside assistance.

Old 02-14-2010, 07:06 AM
ngweibing
6th Gear
thxs ir fast reply.. i will try again

Old 02-16-2010, 11:51 AM
wmcilwain
1st Gear
I had the exact same symptoms when my battery died. The windows going down on their own is a symptom of a dead battery. Apparently if the main electric control module does not get enough voltage - it tends to go crazy. BTW, MINI does not recommend jump starting at all. In my case, roadside assistance tried to jump start my MINI and blew out the aforementioned electrical control module to the tune of $880.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:03 PM
smurfette26
4th Gear
I had the same problem with my 2005 CoB Cabrio on New Year's Eve. Mine was a dead battery and we had tried jumping it off our other car (Nissan Cube) with no success (but didnt leave the cables on for long). Since it was a long holiday weekend with no dealership help available, we disconnected the battery and took it to Advance Auto Parts. They were able to test it and confirm it was dead, set it on a slow, full trickle charge and confirm that it was holding a charge fine after it was fully charged (and they did all of this for free). I would suggest you try the same. It was cheap and easy (but did take the better part of the day before the battery was recharged). Good luck!

Old 02-27-2010, 10:52 AM
martinb
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
If it's the original battery, it's likely dead. And just because it will hold a charge and show the proper voltage, that doesn't mean it's a good battery. A bad battery, one that's mostly shot, can still be charged and when you put a volt meter on it, it will show 12.6 volts or more. However, voltage is not the entire story and voltage alone will not start you car and power it. A battery must also have enough capacity or reserve power or "oomph" if you will. Think of voltage as speed and amps or capacity as the mass of whatever is speeding. For instance, if you're trying to knock over a block of wood and you throw a spit ball at it, nothing's going to happen. But if you throw a soft ball at it, the block will get knocked over. The spit ball and the soft ball were going the same speed, but one has a lot more "oomph" because of it's larger mass. The same is true with batteries. What happens in a car battery, really any rechargable, is that gradually the area inside the battery that produces the electricity gets smaller and smaller as it dies off. What remains can take a charge, but eventually, it gets so small that it just can't do the job. You can't see it because it's inside the battery. And the physical size of the battery hasn't changed, but how much of the battery on the inside that is working has shrunk. Imagine hooking up 8 D cell batteries in series. You'd get 12.8 volts which is what a brand new battery should produce. Now remove the car battery and hook those batteries up to the car. You might get the interior lights to light, maybe even the radio to work for a minute, but there's no way you'd even come close to starting the car. Brand new batteries, 12.8 volts, no-go.

So, you could do a load test of the battery after it's been fully charged and find out if it has the capacity to work as it should, or if it's really a 5 or 6 year old battery, just replace it. I highly, highly recommend Optima red top.

Hope that helps.

Old 02-27-2010, 11:15 AM
ngweibing
6th Gear
thxs all for the help... i did change into a new battery just ot be safe...

i love this forum... all are so helpful