Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

OEM cup holder blows!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 08:03 AM
tcscb1963
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OEM cup holder blows!!

Okay, I have finally found something on my MINI I do not like. The original cup holder on the passenger side down tube, I have bought the fattest travel mug I can find and it still flops around in the cup holder and forget about a bottle of water. Does anyone have any suggestions on aftermarket ones they are happy with?

Thanks,

Old 01-27-2010, 11:03 AM
minjae
6th Gear
you can always go with the mini-fini cup holders.

there's another one that's made of metal of some sort but it goes for about $100 and it goes into one of the two 'useless' cup holders at the bottom.

mini-fini site

that's the original site but you can probably get it cheaper elsewhere or they usually show up in the marketplace.

Old 01-29-2010, 03:20 PM
LA Gearhead
1st Gear
You could try getting one of those foam rubber things that slip around beer cans -- a really thick one could make your mug fit a little tighter in there.

The thing that cracks me up about that cup holder is the little symbol on top that shows a stemmed goblet with a "no" symbol over it. Is there really a problem with people wanting to put stemware in them???

Old 01-29-2010, 04:01 PM
911Fan
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LA Gearhead
The thing that cracks me up about that cup holder is the little symbol on top that shows a stemmed goblet with a "no" symbol over it. Is there really a problem with people wanting to put stemware in them???
I think that's their cryptic way of telling you not to put a glass container in the holder. Plastic stemware should be OK...

Old 01-30-2010, 11:25 AM
Yo'sDad
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Make your own

You can make your own, to your own specifications from pvc plumbing parts from Home Depot or Lowes very easily. Click on my gallery to see a couple of pics of my effort.

Now pay no attention to the female model sitting in my MINI. Stay focused on the cup holder. That is for another thread, haha

YD

Old 01-30-2010, 02:32 PM
minjae
6th Gear
wow..that is a NICELY made cup holder..anybody else ask you to make one for them?

happen to have a DIY thread on it?

Old 01-30-2010, 03:17 PM
herbie hind
6th Gear
it does?!!!!!! wish i'd known that.....

Old 01-30-2010, 04:01 PM
Yo'sDad
5th Gear
The service manager at the dealership where I bought my MINI said he would put them in the showcase of their gift shop if I would supply them.. He was more impressed with the fiberglass mods to my left downtube and also wanted some of them.

I just have so many things going in my life that takes so much time I just have not done it... I was thinking about paying a local H.S. shop class to make a batch and sell them on ebay. You don't need a 'how to', just get the parts from H.D. and cut out the connector parts from a piece of 2" pipe and glue it all together. Add some filler, sand, prime and paint.

YD

Old 01-30-2010, 05:56 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Cool - the connector pieces were what I was still trying to figure out. Cut from 2" PVC - got it.

I still need to make a downtube like that. Have the stuff in my shop. Just haven't gotten around to it.

Old 01-30-2010, 06:12 PM
Yo'sDad
5th Gear
Next time I'm in H.D. or Lowes, I'll buy the parts to make another one and photo each part separately with the H.D. bin name and show the fab process in pics. Then sell it if anyone wants it. Cutting the connector parts is the only time consuming part. Maybe I can fab some jigs or something to make the connectors faster and more consistent.

Glad you didn't get distracted by the model in my other pic, haha

YD

Old 02-03-2010, 05:03 PM
blonda
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by minjae
you can always go with the mini-fini cup holders.

there's another one that's made of metal of some sort but it goes for about $100 and it goes into one of the two 'useless' cup holders at the bottom.

mini-fini site

that's the original site but you can probably get it cheaper elsewhere or they usually show up in the marketplace.
I have the Mini-fini holder and it's a good size and all my cups/water bottles fit nicely in it. Very snug with the travel cups actually.

Old 02-04-2010, 08:44 PM
minjae
6th Gear
sounds easy enough but the measurements and size of the pvc pipes is the question..

but i'll be looking forward to that diy if you ever get around to it.
if not, then i'll probably be going across the street to H.D. to grab some supplies and jump on the project

and the Mini-Fini cup holder is indeed perfect for travel cups such as my little bubba keg..
i never realized that those indents on the cup holder were for the handles on the travel mugs

Old 05-13-2012, 06:51 PM
LostDenverite
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Yo'sDad
You can make your own, to your own specifications from pvc plumbing parts from Home Depot or Lowes very easily. Click on my gallery to see a couple of pics of my effort.

Now pay no attention to the female model sitting in my MINI. Stay focused on the cup holder. That is for another thread, haha

YD
Looking to see if you ever posted details on the cup holder. I'm looking to recreate your design and would appreciate plucking your brain for some specifics. Thanks.

Old 05-13-2012, 08:44 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
I found the perfect use for that cup holder. It is now taking up unused space on a small shelf in my garage relieving me of the worry over what to put there. It is also serving a further useful purpose by providing suitable anchor points for a really complex spider web. The l'il creature is just ecstatic over her find.

Old 05-28-2012, 09:46 AM
Sams57
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Yo'sDad
Next time I'm in H.D. or Lowes, I'll buy the parts to make another one and photo each part separately with the H.D. bin name and show the fab process in pics. Then sell it if anyone wants it. Cutting the connector parts is the only time consuming part. Maybe I can fab some jigs or something to make the connectors faster and more consistent.

Glad you didn't get distracted by the model in my other pic, haha

YD
I am impatiently waiting - seems that the connector between the cups is the confusing part...how'd you make them look so good?!