Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Multiple ticks on acceleration (sounds like a metronome)

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 04:10 AM
Ultra101
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Multiple ticks on acceleration (sounds like a metronome)

So I drive a 2008 MCS +JCW package. Manual, 15k miles, premium fuel.

I have seen a few threads on this but really no set answer, and I am looking to compile what everyone thinks it might be, because I am going to attempt to fix it if it is easy since the nearest Mini service is 150+ miles away.

Here is the problem:
When I accelerate, I hear a faint tick coming from the passenger side of the car, almost directly under the floorboard.

The ticking sound is consistent when on the accelerator 100% of the time. It speeds up by a little as I increase the accelerator, but not much.

To have a good representation of how fast the click is, go to this metronome website below and click 150 beats per minute (bpm), and click the start button, and this will represent the semi faint click sound I hear while driving normal speeds. At 50+mph the tick sound increases to about 200 bpm. (The metronome almost sounds like the ticking sound, and no I don't have a metronome in the car anywhere ha)

(Metronome website)
http://a.bestmetronome.com/

This tick sound does stop though when I push in the clutch, and when I am sitting idle without the car in gear. But will start right back up as soon as I start accelerating again.

I can hear it with the windows down moving slowly through like a drive-through as well.

Thinking it was possible that the oil was low, I checked that and topped it off a bit with the recommended oil, however, that didn't help the problem.

Any thing else you would like to know just ask, but I am dying to get this issue fixed. I hate the sound, it is annoying and almost embarrassing to have a semi new car make this sound.

Thank you so much for reading this, and getting back with me.

-Nate

Old 01-12-2010, 04:12 AM
malteseracer
4th Gear
That is where a lot of the electrics are. Could be a relay.

Old 01-12-2010, 04:15 AM
Ultra101
1st Gear
Originally Posted by malteseracer
That is where a lot of the electrics are. Could be a relay.
How do I determine that it would be a relay?

Old 01-12-2010, 05:33 AM
malteseracer
4th Gear
Generally it would click on once then off once, but it could be wired funny, leading it to click on and off a bunch of times in succession. Possibly a bad ground?

Old 01-26-2010, 10:27 AM
peter314
5th Gear
Im having the same issue. I've been hearing it for a little while now, althought to my recent knowledge I havent noticed it in a few days. Maybe because Im enjoying the music too much but you've outlined exactly what I have too.
I have noticed that after driving for a little while it does stop. I notice it when I start my car up after its been sitting all day (8 hours) and the speed limit to leave the complex is 40mph but after getting on the highway its gone even when I slow back down. I've noticed the same things as you (Except I have an auto) when I let off the gas it goes away, when im on, its a very consistant tick regardless of speed. I oringally thought it may have been something to do with the wheel.
If you find anything out OP please send me a PM Im very interested in what this is, Thanks

Old 01-26-2010, 10:35 AM
isthar
5th Gear
FYI I hear "ticks" from the passenger side too, on startup and shortly after rolling away.

Do this: turn on and off your wipers -- hear it then? I do.

So, I think it's relay/stuff being turned on and off in the electrics. There might be things going on when the car is cold...

But if you are hearing it while accelerating, and it stops the moment you let go of the pedal... that's different.

Old 01-26-2010, 10:52 AM
peter314
5th Gear
Ah Ha! fellow Bostonian MINI driver! From what I've Experienced is that it will last about ~15 min worth of driving, it has been cold lately and this is the first winter I've had the car out (garaged last winter, no choice this year) so I wouldnt have noticed this last year.

But its definatly new to me, I never noticed it earlier this year or during the summer. but I've got so many rattles I dont know whats what sometimes, its very frusturating Im going to have to bring it in sometime to tighten the car up cause there are alot of cracks and creeks and rattles. How are you in that department? driving around on these roads around here really to take a toll on our cars, I just need to remember to avoid that hole at the end of the tobin when leaving boston tonight hahah (oh 15,100 miles today btw)

Old 01-26-2010, 11:00 AM
Ultra101
1st Gear
So... I talked to a mechanic over the phone from the mini dealer in which I am driving 3 hours to let them work on my car this Friday in Grand Rapids.

According to him, he says he has seen this problem with a few different minis. He is about 90% from what I have described as it being a problem with the timing chain. Don't know if that sounds accurate or not, but I guess we will find out. Will keep everyone posted. The unfortunate side to this, is that the job will take a couple/few days to complete. So I will be driving around a loaner while they work on it. Sucks because this shouldn't be happening to a car with only 15k miles on it!

Old 01-26-2010, 11:30 AM
peter314
5th Gear
sounds like me and you are in the same boat buddy. 08's with 15k too! hahaha. I was getting fed up with the cold start chatter a couple of weeks ago and I was about to take it in and then it stopped so I called it off and its been fine other than the ticking and the constant rattles (QUALITY CONTROL PUT DOWN THE TEA CUP AND GET TO WORK!!!)

haha and you have a Subie too, Im saving up for a 05 Sti, hopefully by the summer i'll have enough for a decent one (WRC Blue with the gold rims, yes I know its cliche but it looks so good)

Old 01-28-2010, 08:50 AM
isthar
5th Gear
peter, you asked how I've been doing? Luckily I actually live out west, Route 2 is what I see the most :-) Now, driving through Belmont... OMG they need to get aware of the stimulus packages and get to work replacing their roads!!!

p.s. 17s! There's your problem right there, I went with 16s :-P

Ultra101 I'll be very interested in hearing the resolution to your issue after the dealer sees it. Jsut to keep in mind for the future.

Old 01-28-2010, 11:17 AM
peter314
5th Gear
Originally Posted by isthar

p.s. 17s! There's your problem right there, I went with 16s
But they look sooooo good! oh thats going to make this a tough decision then, the 18's look good haha...

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...All&sort=Brand

Old 01-29-2010, 07:10 AM
Ultra101
1st Gear
I am going in today! Wish me luck. I will keep you all posted when I find out the details.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:58 AM
drewthat
1st Gear
Yea, I'm having the same problem. The ticking starts when I'm on the gas and slops when I let go of the gas pedal. Engaging/dis-engaging the clutch makes no difference in my case. It can be in neutral and I can make the ticking happen. usually between 1500-3000 rpm. Above 3k it gets masked by engine noise.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:48 AM
peter314
5th Gear
February 1st and no word from ultra....precisely why I don’t want to give my car to them, they will just keep it indefinitely.

Drew, you symptoms are exactly what I also have, although I have an automatic.

Old 02-01-2010, 11:59 AM
Ultra101
1st Gear
So I JUST got a phone call from service. They started working on her Saturday, found that the clicking sound is the "timing chain tensioner". According to the person I spoke with, it is a timely job to get that part replaced. The parts have been ordered and will be done tomorrow, but I won't be able to pick her up til Wednesday. They are doing a lot of other stuff to her too. New arm rest, oil change, scoop bonnet bowed down from the turbo heat (so thats being replaced), lines being flushed, brake fluid exchange, coolant had air in the line, so it sounded like water...so they are fixing that. And installing new audio port due to it being loose.. Did I mention I am putting the JCW badges on it too.

Thats all. Any questions shoot me message. nathanheffner@gmail.com

Old 02-01-2010, 12:22 PM
peter314
5th Gear
wow. I was just afraid that they lost yours and thats what the hold up was all about hahaha I hope everything goes over well and she comes out just like new... and by just like new I mean running better than new cause that would mean you would still have the timing chain tensioner problem haha

Old 02-02-2010, 02:58 AM
Ultra101
1st Gear
I hope she does too. Thank you! haha

Hope this thread can shed some light to others!

Old 02-08-2010, 07:04 AM
Ultra101
1st Gear
BAD NEWS... the infamous click has returned!!! So if it wasn't the timing chain tensioner what is it???

I called them, and instead of me having to drive her back 2 and a half hours to Grand Rapids, they are coming to pick her up. Leaving me with a loaner again. But they will drop it off for me too. Which they should, since my car is still making the noise. Another week without the mini? ahhh! so lame.

I should tell them to make the car payment for me this month too since I haven't gotten to drive it but more than a few days.

I will keep you all posted!

Old 02-08-2010, 09:05 AM
peter314
5th Gear
WhAT!? thats insane. yet our MINIs have another problem to take care of. if its not the timing chain what could it be..
At first I thought it was something up with the wheel but seeing as it does not increase in rate as with speed I ruled that out. but who knows maybe it is somehow related. wheel bearing maybe?

Today after work im going to see if I can replicate the tick while stationary.
If I can that will elminate anything to do with the wheels. but possibly something in between the engine and wheel, god forbid the transmission lets hope. but you have a manual and I have an automatic... hmm so that could rule that out then.

Good luck on yours.

Old 02-08-2010, 11:15 AM
unclemeat
3rd Gear
Could it be some sort of cold-assist solenoid? A lot of cars have them to help the engine warm up when cold and in cold weather. Does the sound go away after 15 minutes of driving? Thats about how long it takes for our engines to fully warm up and get off the cold maps.

Old 02-08-2010, 11:22 AM
Ultra101
1st Gear
Originally Posted by peter314
WhAT!? thats insane. yet our MINIs have another problem to take care of. if its not the timing chain what could it be..
At first I thought it was something up with the wheel but seeing as it does not increase in rate as with speed I ruled that out. but who knows maybe it is somehow related. wheel bearing maybe?

Today after work im going to see if I can replicate the tick while stationary.
If I can that will elminate anything to do with the wheels. but possibly something in between the engine and wheel, god forbid the transmission lets hope. but you have a manual and I have an automatic... hmm so that could rule that out then.

Good luck on yours.
It sounds electrical almost. The Tech was able to hear it with me in the car with him. So thats good. Then I was able to push down on the gas enough and hold on the clutch to reproduce it while he looked under the hood. He said a number of things it could be. Fuel lines/clutch/yada yada yada.

Manual tranny

Old 02-08-2010, 11:25 AM
Ultra101
1st Gear
Originally Posted by unclemeat
Could it be some sort of cold-assist solenoid? A lot of cars have them to help the engine warm up when cold and in cold weather. Does the sound go away after 15 minutes of driving? Thats about how long it takes for our engines to fully warm up and get off the cold maps.

see it is weird, i couldn't reproduce it until it actually warmed up a bit...

Old 02-16-2010, 07:25 PM
Ultra101
1st Gear
Day 8 in service. Still no clue what is wrong with the car. I just wrote an email to the GM of the Sharpe Collection of Grand Rapids...

Here is what I said, any ideas what I can do to get some compensation out of not having my car for almost 9 days?

Mr. Sharpe,

I am not one to normally go above someone's head in most situations, but I feel like I don't know what else to do in this situation. My car went into service back on January 29th, 2010. I had driven it up from South Bend, IN. after calling about two weeks in advanced and made an appointment to get many things serviced on my JCW. The man from the service department I had spoken with said he would reserve a loaner car for me, and that I could drop it off around 5:30pm 1/29/10, and that they wouldn't be able to start working on it until the following day. I had mentioned the issues I was having with the most notable one being the clicking sound I hear in the car while my foot is on the gas pedal, amongst some other minor things like needing an oil change, and fluids flushed and what not.

The appointment was scheduled, and the day I took my car up, Ashley was working the desk, and she didn't have any record of me bringing my car there. But things worked out, and I had a list of things with the car to have serviced on my car. She did an excellent job in arranging everything. I really appreciate her help. I got the loaner and left. Everything was finished and the car was all fixed with a new chain tensioner or something, and I had my sister come get it Wednesday 2/3/10 at 4:00pm since it was easier for her to make the swap since I live so far away from any service area. I didn't get the car back from my sister until that following Saturday evening. I had purchased a few additional items (a new key fob and programmed, and a JCW badge for the back of the car...$200+).

Excited to drive it, the first sound I heard was that clicking sound again that was said to be fixed. It is a very noticeable clicking sound coming from under the hood of the car, which you can hear outside the car. Since it was a Saturday, I knew I didn't have much of an option to call back and let them know the sound was still there. So Monday February 8th, I filled out the survey before the service department opened, and as soon as it did open I received a call from Ashley saying she was sending a technician to come get my car. Which I was very impressed by. And thankful that I did not have to drive my car back up another 2 hours and take off work early again.

The tech, in which I can't remember his name, very nice guy, brought the car for me around noon 2/8/10. I rode with him, and after the car warmed up a bit, I got the sound to come back, and sure enough I got it so he could listen to it with the hood popped up while I slightly gave the car some gas while pushing on the clutch. He definitely heard the sound and didn't seem to recognize it either, he had mentioned a few possibilities, but wasn't positive. So he left with my car, even asked if he could bring his soda in the car, which was really cool that he even asked, I appreciate that too.

Its officially been 8 service days later, and nobody knows still what the problem is with the car. There have been some things Ashley had mentioned about the alcohol content in the car being 15%, which should only be around 11%, and that could be it, but not positive. The thing is, when I bought the car from Prestige Imports, and drove it for a few months, I didn't hear this sound. It came, and it progressively got worse, and has not gone away at all. I have only put premium fuel in my car, not from any specific station either. But I don't go to the cheap gas stations either. I have to say that I can't count how many times I have filled up my gas tank in about 7,000 miles. I highly doubt the gas is the issue. Apparently they were wanting to flatbed my car back, without the problem being fixed, then which I said that I don't want it back to Ashley, so she is going to drive it herself and listen for it tonight.

I am the ONLY person that drives this car, and I take very good care of my car, in a heated garage, as it is my primary car and I need it to last. I love Mini Coopers, and have been saving up for a long time, and watching specifically for a John Cooper Works Edition. I had to save up much more since the car is much more expensive than the normal Mini S due to it's performance package, and better look with the aero package. A clicking sound coming from a car of this value is not acceptable to me, and won't accept anything but it being perfect, since this is such high value to me. I am speaking with other mini drivers on forums, and one in particular from my area that has a JCW that doesn't have this clicking sound. It wasn't there before and I am willing to keep my car there as long as it takes for this issue to be fixed.

I am not trying to burn any bridges or get anyone in trouble there in the service area. Just the thought of my car being returned to me without a positive answer why that sound is happening just doesn't seem right. I said that to Ashley and she said her #1 goal is to make the customer happy, and she is going to do what she can to make this right. I just thought you should be aware of what is going on, and hopefully can shed some light for me. I miss my car, it has been in service for 14 days total over the 2 times it has been in. I don't know if it needs to be sent to another service location or what needs to be done. Anything though to get my car back without that dreadful click would be great.

I do appreciate your time, Ashley's time, and the tech's time, and I don't expect that this comes down onto them, but I feel like the amount of days that my car has been in service without an answer is far too long.

Old 02-19-2010, 11:59 AM
torobud
4th Gear
Keep us informed...

I have had a similar 'elusive' ticking noise but only durring warmer weather so I am curious how this plays out...

Old 02-22-2010, 02:09 PM
Redd_13
Neutral
I have the exact ticking!!!

I have a 3 month old Cooper S with the JCW aero kit and about a month after driving I get the exact ticking on acceleration about 4 min after starting and driving it. It does it on a daily basis and exactly how Ultra101 explains it.

I finally took it to the dealer and the car would not make the sound. (of course) So I have to keep a log for the next couple of weeks. I am not sure if it is the cold weather since I bought it in October but a new mini should not be making these noises.

The dealer did offer to keep it for a few days if it keeps ticking and let one of the mechanics drive it home with my permission. But they have no idea what it is.

I hope you get some answers.

Quick Reply: Multiple ticks on acceleration (sounds like a metronome)