Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Hope that this NEVER happens to you!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 09:12 PM
flingger
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hope that this NEVER happens to you!!!

Ok, this is going to be a bit long.

In early October 2009, I brought my MINI to DESERT MINI in Las Vegas to have some warranty work done. I was at 45000 miles and was prepping my car for the SEMA Show so I didn't have much time to get the work done otherwise. I had made a laundry list of items I would have like addressed...things like the trim around the roof, the battery and the sunroof rubber trim were the main concerns. I left the car and went about my business. I got a call to come pick up my car a couple of days later. I went in to the dealer and talked with the service advisor regarding the repairs that were done. Couldn't fix the trim...was told that because it wasn't broken it isn't replaceable, even though is looked much more worn on the sides than the front or rear did. They did replace the battery, as the "eye" was black and they replaced the gasket around the sunroof cartridge. I distinctly recall stating that the rubber with the fuzzy part was worn, but somehow that got communicated into "leaking". Whatever, is was getting taken care of...I thought. They were a bit hesitant, as the car had no interior panels in it since I was building the stereo and sound deadening the car from the beltline down. I have to say, the car looked less than great at the time, but the things that I was working on had no bearing on the areas being warranted. I drive the car away from the dealer happy...my stuff got fixed.

A few days later I returned to southern California to finish the car. I was essentially in the stereo shop just about every day working to finish the car. Eventually we noticed that the lower two brake lights weren't working, but the third brake light was working. I also had some lights on the dash start to light up and not go away....strange. We continued to work on the car because our deadline was fast approaching and we were running out of time. We finally finished the car after several all nighters. Packed up the car and headed out to the SEMA Show.

Since I work for the SEMA Show, I have to be there four or five days before the show starts to do my job. My boss arranged for a detailer to clean my car for the show which included spray washing the car, vacuuming, windows...the whole nine. Super happy and relieved, I picked up the car, placed it for the show and that was that. After the show, I drove home sans brake lights with the Christmas tree effect in the dash.

Once I got home, I took the car to South Bay MINI to have the brake light issue attended to. They gave me a loaner car and sent me on my way. The called me, stating that they checked a module and that nothing could be found. It was suggested that I might have loosened a ground somewhere, which I checked the following day to no avail.

A week later, a car buddy of mine hadn't seen the car since finished so we went to lunch. On the way there, he asked me where the water in the floor mat came from. It had rained the day prior, but I thought maybe I held "unlock" too long and popped open the sunroof a tad...who knew.

Then, out of nowhere Southern California got some more rain...weird, I know. Shortly thereafter, I lost the third brake light and then my NAV flickered on and off and never came back to me. I decided to sit in the car during the rain. I noticed a decent amount of water on my new sub enclosure. I then noticed water dripping into my footwell. So I pulled the WeatherTech floormat out and touched the carpet...soaked. Passenger side, soaked. On the first sunny day, I pulled out my sub enclosure and there was two inches of water where the rear seat would normally be.

I started doing research here on NAM and MU(what great resources). I learned that the drains could get plugged and the water could get into the car. I headed out to the car to immediately discover that the drains were clear of any obstructions. I thought for sure that would have been the culprit. Back to NAM to do more research and found that a plugged drain OR, the drain could fall or be left off entirely. I felt that it couldn't be anything but that and took my car back to South Bay MINI. I was given another loaner (this time a docile 328). I suggested my findings and that given the FACT that Desert MINI had replaced the sunroof cartridge recently, it was probably the drains that weren't connected. I left the dealer and headed home. I forgot to mention that the interior of the car smelled like a fishboat, the windows would drip from the moisture and EVERYTHING was moist down to the foam sound deadening stuff on the inside of the rear panels. The next day, I called to see how the progress of the repair process and I was told my car would be put back together and to come and get it. According to the service writer, Desert MINI had stated via telephone that a Foreman worked on the car and ABSOLUTELY put the drains on although the technician at South Bay noted that all four drains were disconnected AND there wasn't any indications that anyone had removed the headliner. I insisted that it wasn't possible to be anything but the drains regardless of what DESERT MINI states. The foreman agreed to leave it to a higher power...the regional service manager.

So, here we are...waiting. Its been a week since I dropped my car off and I have not heard anything really. I called yesterday and was informed that the Regional Service Manager was there and they were discussing me and my car quite a bit. I called today and spoke with the service writer again. I asked to speak with the regional service manager and it was suggested I call MINI USA which I did. Very nice, understanding people there (actually, everyone has been nice...including me). Got a "case manager" on the phone and basically explained the situation to them, they took my number and explained that they would contact me in two to three days.

So, here is how I see it (obviously bias). Car is modified to an extent...yes. Car is not modified anywhere near the drains for the sunroof...basically, I haven't touched them and it doesn't look like I have either. The last/only people to touch that area of the car is DESERT MINI, which directly repaired a part that would require the removal of the drain tubes from the sunroof cartridge. So, regardless of how modified the car is, the damage is the result of the fine people at DESERT MINI. Even if it wasn't the result of DESERT MINI's actions...it would still be a warranty issue I believe.

Anyway, I will post whatever happens here, on MU and on SCMM's site. Wish me luck.

Last edited by flingger; 12-29-2009 at 03:42 PM.
Old 12-24-2009, 10:12 PM
ngweibing
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
oh no...

Old 12-25-2009, 06:43 AM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hopefully resolved in your favor. I'll assume that since you deleted the post it has been.

Old 12-28-2009, 05:02 AM
lawmann
Coordinator :: Middle Georgia MINIs
OK, not sure where this was going. Why create a post and not have anything there? What the heck happened?

Old 12-28-2009, 06:09 AM
meacoopa
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mysterious missing material

-??- It appears that on reflection the OP concluded that whatever it was never happened to him either (?).

Old 12-29-2009, 03:43 PM
flingger
4th Gear
Info is back up.

Old 12-29-2009, 03:52 PM
flingger
4th Gear
Called up MINI USA and spoke with Sonny, my case manager. He told me that MINI USA had determined that the damage was a result of "outside influences". Therefore, they would not be participating in the repair of the car. Additionally, DESERT MINI concluded that THEY also would not assist in helping remedy the situation. This is crazy! Technically, the car is still under warranty...and the warranty work wasn't done properly. WTF!

What this boils down to is this...there is evidence that DESERT MINI worked in the area affected, which they do not deny. They would actually have had to touch the drain tubes to do the repair they did (both in removal and in theory, installation). On the flip side of that argument, there isn't ANY evidence pointing towards anyone every touching the headliner. Based on those FACTS, how would you determine fault and responsibility? Come on guys...do what's right!

All I want is my car fixed.

Old 12-29-2009, 05:15 PM
burberryed
2nd Gear
I believe that I would be contacting an Attorney to sue Desert Mini for faulty workmanship. I would not settle for just having the car repaired. If the moisture has entered any of of the electrical/electronics which apparently it has, you most likely will have trouble later on. Good Luck!

Old 12-30-2009, 02:30 PM
flingger
4th Gear
So MINI North America has failed in every aspect to side/assist with the consumer. The consumer that is an officer in the largest MINI club in the US, and that is one of the SEMA Show Management Team. Desert MINI is completely avoiding stepping up and doing the right thing. They would rather stand behind their shop foreman, that worked on the car, than admit they made a mistake. The only shining star right now is South Bay MINI. I really wish this would have happened there. Their service manager, Roy, is a real stand up guy. They even provided me with a loan car for the past couple of weeks at their own expense while this ordeal has been transpiring.

Simply, what this really boils down to two FACTS...did Desert MINI work on/touch the drains during the repair in early October 2009...answer YES! Indisputable! Second fact...does it appear, in ANY way that the headliner or anything else near the drains has been touched by anyone or anything? NO according to South Bay MINI's tech! So based on those two facts, regardless of how modified the car is below the belt line, that the evidence shows the responsibility falls into Desert MINIs lap. My insurance company is going to have a field day with them. The sad part is that the car is supposed to be on display in a booth at the Consumer Electronics Show in Vegas.

I hope that all of you read this and take it into account that the possibility exists that if Desert MINI works on your car and something goes wrong, you very well may be completely on your own to remedy it.

Updates to come

Old 12-30-2009, 02:50 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
you had your car partially disassembeled when you took it in?

What better get out of jail card could the dealer or MINI have?

Get a lawyer and argue .... the lawyer will get a new car out of the deal either way.

Old 01-01-2010, 04:45 PM
flingger
4th Gear
So at this point, I have contacted my insurance company and expect the ball to get rolling come Monday.

I really have to say that I am dismayed that MINI North America AND Desert MINI cannot find it within themselves to "man-up" and do what is right. I encourage you, if you are in need of service or are going to purchase a MINI, to avoid Desert MINI at all costs. I believe that because they are the only dealer in Las Vegas that they feel they do not have to treat their customers with respect and professionalism and above all, integrity. I also believe that leadership has a trickle down effect and therefore the management and even ownership of this dealership reflects how it and its employees make decisions that support greed and poor service. Any other business would see the mistake and would do whatever it takes to make it right. This is the kind of ethical practice it takes to make lists like "top companies to work for" and "customer top pick"...a list that Desert MINI will probably never be on (not that they aspire to). It is deplorable and inexcusable to run a business like this.

Old 01-05-2010, 06:32 PM
flingger
4th Gear
At this point, my insurance company wants to total the car as they have no confidence of a quick and permanent repair...so, one tech leaves off four drain tubes and totals a car. Interesting math...1+4=$34,000. This is how "THE BIG AUTO COMPANY" completely takes advantage of "the little guy". I'm just so sad...I love the car so much, yet one dealer has taken all of the wind out of my sails.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:02 PM
YELLOWMINIAZ
5th Gear
Wow... I can't believe all of that.
I have a similar story but not involving a dealership. I won a paint job at a car show I attended in Maryland, I was living up there at the time.
So I call the body shop and schedule the paint. That happened in September. We get the car back after 3 weeks and the first rainstorm we had my boot is getting wet. I had no idea until I started to smell something. My husband thought we left food in the car. We started to "sniff" out the smell and lifted the boot up and found mildew and the padding soaking wet. This was about a week after the rain. We called the body shop and they said to bring it in. 8 days later they stated it was all fixed...mind you they didnt replace the padding underneath the carpet in the boot. We drove away watching carefully. They claimed they sealed everything.
Rainstorm #2... my drivers side seatbelt was soaked but very little water in the boot. So we make the next phone call. This time they have the car for about 10 days and said they "soaked" the car and cant find any leaks. During the time they had the car we moved back to NC and they kept the car. They did tow it down to me. BUT>>>> yep you guessed it. We are getting a pool of water on the side panel where the drivers side seat belt is. We have the inside of that car torn apart.
We think we found the leak...the trim around the drivers side. But we don't know enough about that kind of stuff!!! They have offered to come get the car again but they have already have had it 2x and can't seem to fix it. And what I am suppose to do for a car????
I just want my car fixed too!!! I trusted them to paint my car and put it back together the right way. So now what??

Old 01-06-2010, 12:53 AM
flingger
4th Gear
I'm guessing you have a sunroof.

Old 01-06-2010, 06:36 AM
YELLOWMINIAZ
5th Gear
Originally Posted by flingger
I'm guessing you have a sunroof.
I do have a sunroof...but we have taken a hose and drenched that part and no water. The drain pipes seem to be connected.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:02 AM
flingger
4th Gear
Waiting on the call from the insurance company.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:00 AM
flingger
4th Gear
Well, my insurance company wants to total my beloved MINI. Just frickin' fantastic. Waiting on the mail to see their offer.

Old 01-11-2010, 04:15 PM
YELLOWMINIAZ
5th Gear
I am real sorry.... I would be so pissed as I am sure you are!!
Hope you can be "buddies" with a new MINI and fall in love with it too!

Old 01-14-2010, 07:12 PM
JustinGTP
5th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
I can definitely relate to your stories, guys! So sad and I know the feeling of when customer service sucks and they tell you to "eff off".

I had a Pontiac that was in an accident and fixed at a "good" body shop. Long story short, after going back over and over and over during the course of a year, they got "sick" of me and told me that they never want to deal with me again. That's how Hallmark Auto Body deals with your car in Calgary, AB. They can't deal with the problems they make. Insurance actually sided with me and paid out again to have the car fixed elsewhere, they could see what a **** job they did with the car (it took WAY too long to get to this conclusion though) To make matters worse, the next body shop that was going to fix it, also "reputable" never ever ever got back to me even though I called and called. They didn't care to fix another company's mistakes I guess, even though they said they would. Sigh. People really don't get it these days.

full story here: http://forums.beyond.ca/st/191717/wh...th-this-place/ if anyone cares to read haha.

Old 01-14-2010, 08:04 PM
slocraiger
2nd Gear
hey dude hope it all works out... i grew up in Westchester, live in the OC now. Even went to WHS.

Old 01-27-2010, 05:07 PM
flingger
4th Gear
Well, the car is gone, check is on the way from the insurance company. Nobody has stepped up from the MINI side of things. Way to abandon your people MINI! I hope that all MINI people can find a way to avoid taking their MINI to Desert MINI for their own good. Extremely shady people over there and their business practices WILL be their undoing. Thanks for everyone's well wishes...now does anyone know of a GP for sale?

Old 01-27-2010, 06:02 PM
nabeshin
Functioning Lunatic
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
There was a link to one in the GP section of the forum. Kind of pricey though.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:08 PM
Cadenza
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by flingger
Called up MINI USA and spoke with Sonny, my case manager. He told me that MINI USA had determined that the damage was a result of "outside influences". Therefore, they would not be participating in the repair of the car. Additionally, DESERT MINI concluded that THEY also would not assist in helping remedy the situation. This is crazy! Technically, the car is still under warranty...and the warranty work wasn't done properly. WTF!

What this boils down to is this...there is evidence that DESERT MINI worked in the area affected, which they do not deny. They would actually have had to touch the drain tubes to do the repair they did (both in removal and in theory, installation). On the flip side of that argument, there isn't ANY evidence pointing towards anyone every touching the headliner. Based on those FACTS, how would you determine fault and responsibility? Come on guys...do what's right!

All I want is my car fixed.
Sorry to hear about your troubles. Reading your posts really gets my blood boiling. The "outside influences" line is probably the most used words every time Mini USA wants to deny responsibility. Each time I visit a dealer, I have to remind myself that it's a sleazy business.

Last edited by Cadenza; 01-27-2010 at 08:19 PM.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:17 PM
minjae
6th Gear
wowzers..sorry to hear your mini was totaled!!

my story isn't nearly as bad..it does suck tho..

basically i upgraded my pulley to 15%
a year later it starts making tapping/knocking/ticking noises. (i have multiple posts and wat not on this matter)
i call up the place i got it installed at. they dont hear any tapping noise..??
i can hear it clearly..i take it to the dealer, they replace some other things that wasn't on my "fix-it" list. didn't fix the noise
i go back again to fix the noise, yet still, they can't fix the noise. and again, they replaced some parts that weren't on my list.
i go back again, and they say it's because i upgraded my pulley, and it's making everything slowly start to fail? does that sound right?

so im taking my car to the dealer again (1k till 50k) to get this and that fixed, and im going to tell them again about the noise. wat do i have to do to get this fixed? they wanted to replace the crank pulley and belt tensioner, but not under warranty..I didn't have nearly enough money to pay for it so i said forget it.
anyone have any advice on wat to do?

i feel like i'm getting jipped from the dealer..

ANYWAYS..
i hope you find a GP flingger!!
at least your insurance was on your side..

Old 01-28-2010, 08:50 PM
flingger
4th Gear
Try a different dealer.

Quick Reply: Hope that this NEVER happens to you!!!