Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Motor Dies Immediately After Initial Cold-Weather Startup

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 07:42 AM
rcm3
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2009 S has been having trouble starting up the last few days now that it's getting cold. It's only got like 5000 miles!

It dies immediately after the first cold start in the morning, and then on the second start it runs, but threatens to die, even while moving at low speeds.

I know there is a well-documented issue regarding a cold startup noise, but this seems to be something different for which I haven't found anything on the forums for (for R56 cars).

Thanks for the help!

Old 12-08-2009, 07:46 AM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts
if im not mistaken there are also documented problems with faulty fuel pumps.... could be

Old 12-08-2009, 07:52 AM
rcm3
Neutral
Great suggestion. Here's a clone of my problem I found when searching for fuel pump related stuff:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-sickness.html

Maybe that'll give the dealer a hint as to where to start.

Old 12-08-2009, 08:17 AM
nickminir56
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my advice with "cold start" (through your problem might be fuel pump) is to wait and wait - I was almost rear-ended by a tailgater when my "diesel" engine(~3mins warming up on a cold morning) suddenly ran into LIMP mode on the freeway.

Old 12-08-2009, 08:19 AM
rcm3
Neutral
Originally Posted by nickminir56
my advice with "cold start" (through your problem might be fuel pump) is to wait and wait - I was almost rear-ended by a tailgater when my "diesel" engine(~3mins warming up on a cold morning) suddenly ran into LIMP mode on the freeway.
Help me out here: Is this thick sarcasm? Or are you implying I should wait for the car to warm up before going anywhere as a safety precaution?

Old 12-08-2009, 08:20 AM
phxsteele
4th Gear
Originally Posted by rcm3
My 2009 S has been having trouble starting up the last few days now that it's getting cold. It's only got like 5000 miles!

It dies immediately after the first cold start in the morning, and then on the second start it runs, but threatens to die, even while moving at low speeds.

I know there is a well-documented issue regarding a cold startup noise, but this seems to be something different for which I haven't found anything on the forums for (for R56 cars).

Thanks for the help!

If it is the fuel pump problem I would suggest running as much gas out as possible and then make sure you fill up at a "top tier" station before taking it in. I know a few people on here that have said the dealership has tried to blame them for the fuel pump problem due to bad gas.

Old 12-08-2009, 08:23 AM
rcm3
Neutral
Originally Posted by phxsteele
If it is the fuel pump problem I would suggest running as much gas out as possible and then make sure you fill up at a "top tier" station before taking it in. I know a few people on here that have said the dealership has tried to blame them for the fuel pump problem due to bad gas.
Srsly...? Bad gas? That seems a little ludicrous.

Shame on any dealer that blames problems with their cars on the customer.

It probably would be prudent though to see if the problem persists on the next tank, just in case they bug me about it.

Old 12-08-2009, 08:30 AM
nickminir56
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rcm3
Help me out here: Is this thick sarcasm? Or are you implying I should wait for the car to warm up before going anywhere as a safety precaution?
Only drives on empty streets at slow speed.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:10 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Fuel pump and cold start are two wholly completely different issues. With cold start, the engine starts and runs fine except for the loud banging sound that eminates just forward of the glovebox.

From what U said it sounds like the high pressure fuel pump. Yes some dealers will try to pin the blame on customer ignorance and bad gas, which sucks royally.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:11 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Originally Posted by phxsteele
use a credit card and keep the reciept-- that is, if it will start up and run long enough to do this.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:37 AM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts
Just take it in. there have been quite a few people with the same problem...if they give you **** about it try another dealer if posssible. I know some are great with service and some just plain suck.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:54 AM
pxtech
2nd Gear
just took my 09 with 5000 miles on it into the shop today for this same issue started yesterday and today now that there is snow on the ground started it up started throwing CEL's and RPM's were fluctuating it was sputtering and once warmed up ran fine but yeah car is too new for these troubles.

Old 12-08-2009, 10:27 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
If the dealer tells you it's crappy fuel they may infact be correct...

There is TONS of ducumentation concerning the E-10 fuels we are buring now, relative to:

Poor Gas mileage
erratic idle
poor start up's.

And with forced induction cars which have SC and Turbo's that problem can be worse if the MINI's ECU is not able to process the data it is reading for proper fuel combustion....

And at this time of year, the gas companies are also adding conditioner to this crappy fuel mix.....

Old 12-08-2009, 12:06 PM
torobud
4th Gear
Originally Posted by pxtech
just took my 09 with 5000 miles on it into the shop today for this same issue started yesterday and today now that there is snow on the ground started it up started throwing CEL's and RPM's were fluctuating it was sputtering and once warmed up ran fine but yeah car is too new for these troubles.
Were the fluctuations in RPM like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VniVI806x-A

If so that is a frozen throttle body...

Old 12-08-2009, 04:34 PM
swisstexmini
2nd Gear
Mine has been doning that for the past 3 days and it turned off 2 times on the 3rd start up it was fine after it idled high. and i warmed the car up. The temp was only about 45F.

I called dealer and they said it wasnt fuel pump and they would need to check it out

Old 12-09-2009, 06:48 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Originally Posted by -=gRay rAvEn=-
If the dealer tells you it's crappy fuel they may infact be correct...
Yeah but even if the dealer uses the bad gas excuse, they cannot pin that blame on the customer; after all, pumps dont have signs that warn against possible bad gas.

However, the dealer can deny warranty work on the fuel system if one uses gas with over 10% ethanol content. Yes the dealer can test for this.

Old 12-09-2009, 10:59 AM
rcm3
Neutral
The car is at the dealer, so we'll see what happens.

The only thing is that I didn't drive it there. It actually started up fine this morning, and then about 4 minutes into my drive completely lost all revs and wouldn't really start back up.

I've gotta admit I'm a little pissed. I get rid of two cars to get this brand new mini, both of which had over 170,000 miles and neither of which EVER left me stranded.

Old 12-09-2009, 07:50 PM
pxtech
2nd Gear
i got my mini back they stated they put a revised intake manifold on it. he said they had been getting calls past few days on 07+ models all with same issue.

Old 12-10-2009, 06:59 AM
Bishamon
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by torobud
If so that is a frozen throttle body...
That would be my guess; this is another 'known issue' with the R56. I had it two winters back when the temperature dropped below -15 Celsius and the dealer replaced my throttle valve, but apparently some dealers are telling customers there isn't anything that can be done.

Old 12-10-2009, 01:00 PM
torobud
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Bishamon
That would be my guess; this is another 'known issue' with the R56. I had it two winters back when the temperature dropped below -15 Celsius and the dealer replaced my throttle valve, but apparently some dealers are telling customers there isn't anything that can be done.
Sadly it hapeened to me 2 times winter of 07-08 and 1 time winter 08-09...

All three times it went in to visit the dealer... first time was a new throttle body/valve.. second time was a 'revised' intake with some kind of condensation catch can (I haven't verified this or anything but it is what I was told)... the third time last year they just replaced the throttle body/valve again...

Old 12-10-2009, 08:39 PM
pxtech
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by torobud
Sadly it hapeened to me 2 times winter of 07-08 and 1 time winter 08-09...

All three times it went in to visit the dealer... first time was a new throttle body/valve.. second time was a 'revised' intake with some kind of condensation catch can (I haven't verified this or anything but it is what I was told)... the third time last year they just replaced the throttle body/valve again...

I hope I don't have to go that route but that video you posted pretty much sums up what the mini was doing. Its been pretty cold here today it was -2 but it started right up no problems only day 2 since new intake though.

Old 12-14-2009, 07:05 AM
csblack4
2nd Gear

Yes, as "iwahmycar" stated there is an on going problem with the High Performance Fuel Pump. I have an 07 MCS and had the very same problem last year as you are having, but it got worse over time. CF Mini R&R my fuel pump and wiring harness assy and it corrected the problem. Now with that being said, I have developed the same problem again and scheduled to take it into Mini next week. According to my Service writer, they are fighting several problems w/ the fuel system. As far as the fuel pump, they now have a modified High Performance Pump now that is suppose to fix that part of the problem.

Originally Posted by iwashmycar
if im not mistaken there are also documented problems with faulty fuel pumps.... could be

Last edited by csblack4; 12-18-2009 at 02:17 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-14-2009, 12:54 PM
rcm3
Neutral
So I'm supposedly getting my Mini back today. Rather than replace the fuel pump or throttle body as logically suggested above, my dealership has gone the route of 'disassembling engine components to remove carbon build-up'.

This seems like a total load of crap.

Not only does my car only have 5000 miles on it, but I use only top-tier premium gas and I live in Kansas, a state known to generally have lower ethanol content in it's gasoline than neighboring states.

WTF is going on here?

Old 12-18-2009, 01:10 PM
Bishamon
3rd Gear
It figures that after almost two years since the first time I had this issue, I posted in this thread, and yesterday I experienced this problem again. It was the coldest day this year so far, though not that cold (-6.5 degrees C), and the car started and I received the yellow 50% power/engine icon (twice). The car didn't stall (it came darn close), but I decided to take it in anyway. The dealer has ordered a replacement throttle body gasket and intake gasket. I also took the opportunity to have the 'cold start rattle' checked and a cam chain tensioner has been ordered as well.

Old 12-18-2009, 11:36 PM
rcm3
Neutral
Update:

When picking up the car from the dealer I was informed that the intake manifold had been replaced in addition to the 'carbon cleaning' that was performed. I took the car home, but unfortunately the next morning the problem reoccured, so I brought the car back in.

This time they replaced the high pressure fuel pump as individuals on this forums intelligently suggested. I got the car back yesterday and it seems to be fixed.

So hurray!

Despite the frustrating problems that have occurred I have been generally pleased with the way the dealer handled this situation. The carbon cleaning shenanigans were most likely pushed upon the situation by Mini. The service advisor even seemed to want to replace the HPFP at the first visit, but appeared to be hog-tied against this by mini for whatever reason. Maybe they're just experimenting with some new possible solutions....

Anyway. The car is back and hopefully it stays that way!

Thanks to all for the help.

Quick Reply: Motor Dies Immediately After Initial Cold-Weather Startup