Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Replacement windshield wipers...

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2003, 07:21 AM
kapolani
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey all -

Just wondering if the windshield wipers for the MCS's are available at any auto store?

TIA

Old 10-28-2003, 07:34 AM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Even if they were, I certainly wouldn't recommend buying them. Mine crapped out in about six months. I have aftermarket blades now (Silblade) with a 5-year guarantee, and they work fantastically. It's like night and day. I'd shop around for something of higher quality than the OEM blades.

All you have to do is measure them (I think one is 18" and one is 19", but I'm not positive), and then buy the same size. The mounting mechanism is standard, and just about any brand of wiper will probably fit.

Old 10-28-2003, 07:43 AM
Pebble
4th Gear
Rodger That.

Although I wonder if replacement blades would be coverd under warrenty? My dealer said that everything but Tires would be covered.

:smile:

Old 10-28-2003, 07:47 AM
stovepipejones
4th Gear
The dealer replaced my blades free of charge during my 10k oil change. Like the ones before, they're crap. I will definitely look into another brand before the heavy ice and snow hit (meaning by next Friday).

Old 10-28-2003, 07:54 AM
Legs
1st Gear
I just got regular wiper refills from the cheapo auto shop........ it's what everybody does this time of year around here. They cost $8. Is this wrong? I don't expect the blades to last more than a year with normal use.

Old 10-28-2003, 08:34 AM
Donna/Mike
Sand Dollar Collector
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We've had ours replaced 3 times by the dealer - they just don't last very long - especially in areas like ours which got lots of snow last winter and lots of rain this summer and fall. I think we'll be looking into some others (not at the dealer) next time... :smile:

Chow!

Donna
donna@dcmetrominis.org

Old 10-29-2003, 09:31 AM
d2mini
5th Gear
Received 100 Likes on 67 Posts
if anything like Audi, the dealer will replace your blades for free anytime. But you have to wait around and have them do it. They won't just hand you new blades.

Old 10-29-2003, 09:40 AM
hafid
6th Gear
i have the silblades too all around - excellent wipers! survived the arizona summer of up to 140 degrees of direct sunlight beating down on them!

plus, they're carbon fibre!

Old 10-29-2003, 09:47 AM
GB_Junkie
2nd Gear
I got silicone wiper blades on my MCS. They are a huge improvment over the OEM ones. They are more expensive (like $20 each), but definetly worth it. I have had silicone wiper blades on my Land Rover for over a year now, and they still perform great. They don't leave any streaks, they even wipe off mud and dirty water without a problem. Best of all, they don't freeze up and become useless in the snow. I got mine through http://www.silblade.com

1995 Land Rover Discovery-loaded, locked, lifted
sold the MGB, looking for a Triumph

Old 10-29-2003, 09:53 AM
Darxar
4th Gear
guys my carbon fibr ones are comming next week, any install tips, are they easy
to put on. let me know if you have any tips or tricks on the install. thanks, kent

Old 10-29-2003, 10:35 AM
chrisneal
6th Gear
>>guys my carbon fibr ones are comming next week, any install tips, are they easy
>>to put on. let me know if you have any tips or tricks on the install. thanks, kent

It'll be pretty straightforward. They'll include a few different types of common mounting hardware, one of which will fit the MINI. They do provide directions, but it's sort of obvious how to do it once you play around with it.

Old 10-29-2003, 10:56 AM
MGCMAN
6th Gear
GB_Junkie

Mel,

Looks like the Silblades are the way to go. Did you replace the rear wiper too, or only the fronts?

p.s. saw your sig.

Old 10-29-2003, 11:03 AM
Chitown_COOP
Coordinator :: Chicago MINI Motoring Club
I've been using Bosch blades on my cars for a couple of years. I get about a year out of them (depends on the amount of ice and salt in the winter), they cost about $10 a blade, and they're a snap to put on (literally!). I haven't seen the Silblades, but it seems like a cool alternative. $20 a blade? Ouch! But a 5 year warranty, eh? Hmmm...

Also, I believe that both of the MINI's front blades are 18" blades. The one in the back is pretty rinky-dink, and I don't know how replaceable it is. Anyone tried? Is there a changeable cartridge, or can only the blade itself be replaced?

Old 10-29-2003, 04:28 PM
D.D.
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
With the silblades.......are you just changing the "Blade"? Or are you changing the ARM as well? I like the MINI arms, and would only want to replace the blades. Is this possible?????

Old 10-30-2003, 09:43 AM
jlm
6th Gear
one front is 18", one is 19" and the rear is 12"

mine went on fine, but i am getting a bit of a squeak. Does anyone use a glass coating, like rain-x.

Old 10-31-2003, 04:18 PM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
Yes your warranty does cover replacement wiperblades for as long as your oil changes are covered. Yes the OEM ones suck, but I'd rather MINIUSA have to pay for new wiper blades for my car then paying for them myself.

Yes I am a cheap bastard and proud of it!!!

Old 11-05-2003, 08:02 PM
indygomini
4th Gear
>><snip> Does anyone use a glass coating, like rain-x.

Yep. I use Castrol AccuVision. It comes in a purple hand pump sprayer, if you are looking for it at your local parts store. I have applied it to the roof glass, the windscreen, and rear hatch glass. I just made a 377 mile run through fog and rain today. Aside from passing the occasional dirty-spray-spewing 18-wheeler, I only needed to run with the rear wiper on, and an occasional bump on the single-pass switch for the fronts. The water still beads over the entire surface of the windscreen.

This product needs to be re-applied more frequently than Rain-X, but it is a bit easier to apply. I have used both AccuVision and Rain-X, and both products make a marked improvement in wet-driving visibility.

To me, choosing between the two products boils down to deciding between regular applications (when I wash the car), or infrequent applications (twice a year) that require more effort (the Rain-X takes more time to buff off after application.) For my daily drivers, I use the AccuVision; for my "garage dwellers," I use Rain-X.

Old 11-06-2003, 03:24 AM
Darxar
4th Gear
K just got mine but which one goes on the drivers side and which one goes on the
pass. they are two diff sizes, so not sure if I should put the larger one on the
drivers side or pass. side. I guess drivers but wanted to make sure.
Kent

Old 12-02-2003, 09:31 AM
alexp206
1st Gear
I was wondering if anyone has had any problems putting on SilBlades in the rear? The replacement arm does not seem to fit quite right and the blade itself does not fit in the OEM arm...

Old 12-02-2003, 01:01 PM
lectric bloo
3rd Gear
Definitly looking to replace mine with silicone type. I have had a silicone blade type dryer for when I wash the cars for over three years now and its still perfect. With four cars, I wash at least two every week. Probably get over three more years out of it.

BTW, its interesting how many of us have MGBs. Mine is a '69 roadster, restored to perfection three years ago and a daily driver til the MINI came along in June.

Old 12-04-2003, 07:48 PM
macncheese
6th Gear
I just bought a set of TRICO winter blades (the ones with the rubber booty things) and they dont work at all. They snapped on fine but they dont conform to the windshield at all. They're only touching at one point.....

--
Cheese

Old 12-04-2003, 07:57 PM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
You might be able to bend the wiper frames a bit so that they make contact with the windshield across their whole length. I bend them the opposite way for my other vehicle that has an absolutely flat windshield.

Old 12-08-2003, 04:14 AM
d-mini-ero
6th Gear
I have now had my wiper blades changed (4) times.
They are truly of.....inferior quality.

Free is good ...don't get me wrong... but their effectiveness is short lived.

These past few days with our 1st big snow storm and it's aftermath...were a horror show w/ the stock blades. :smile:

Those who have em...seem to swear by em...
So here goes yet another ...MINI purchase.

Peace,
D

Old 12-18-2003, 01:11 PM
kumquat78
3rd Gear
>>I was wondering if anyone has had any problems putting on SilBlades in the rear? The replacement arm does not seem to fit quite right and the blade itself does not fit in the OEM arm...

I am having this same problem, is there a trick, or do I just "muscle" it in??? Front ones fit fine, provided you aren't a bone-head. Took me like half an hour to put them on, once I got one on though, the other took 15 seconds. Ah well, live and learn

Old 12-18-2003, 01:19 PM
RUMINI
2nd Gear
I've never heard of SilBlades, but they sound like the ticket. Are the available at auto parts stores (AutoZone, etc), or do I gotta order them from somewhere?

Quick Reply: Replacement windshield wipers...