Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

High Pressure Fuel Pump Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 02:39 AM
Hias
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My HPFP was replaced a few weeks ago and the problem wasn't solved completely back then - still problems when thge engine was idling. Then they realized that some programming is necessary due to the new HPFP - and now everything related to the engine seems fine again.

Old 06-17-2010, 05:25 AM
boxter4ever
3rd Gear
hpfp

hi,5,700mi. for my pump!2009 clubman s.

Old 06-25-2010, 07:33 AM
peter314
5th Gear
Add me to the list soon, Cars given me the engine light twice now in two days, brought it in the first time and it was mis-firing and they automaticaly said "Bad Gas".. I say BS.

Cars idling weird, non-consistent, pops from exhaust while idling sometimes,
Inconsistent acceleration while driving (placed foot X amount on pedal and held it)

23k miles, so it seems to be right in line with everyone here, I just got off the phone and mentioned this exact post and she gives me this " theres 1000's of them on the road, and your telling me about 3..." the first 3 in the post that is I didn't get to mention the other 3 pages!

this car is realllly starting to annoy me.
I knew I should have gotten an STi...

Old 06-25-2010, 10:39 AM
WKinNJ
Neutral
Originally Posted by peter314
Add me to the list soon, Cars given me the engine light twice now in two days, brought it in the first time and it was mis-firing and they automaticaly said "Bad Gas".. I say BS.

Cars idling weird, non-consistent, pops from exhaust while idling sometimes,
Inconsistent acceleration while driving (placed foot X amount on pedal and held it)

23k miles, so it seems to be right in line with everyone here, I just got off the phone and mentioned this exact post and she gives me this " theres 1000's of them on the road, and your telling me about 3..." the first 3 in the post that is I didn't get to mention the other 3 pages!

this car is realllly starting to annoy me.
I knew I should have gotten an STi...
For me the yellow engine light came on and stayed on and I lost half the engine power at less than 30 miles on the car. The dealer fixed it the next day. More recently, the seat belts as well as a broken center console had to be replaced. Unfortunately, the dealer is doing nothing about the occasional dieseling sound the car makes on cold start up, "we didn't hear this noise." Wonderful car, but disappointed in the "BMW" quality - I have had US-built cars, Toyota's, and Honda motorcycles with less issues.

Hope you get it fixed!

Old 06-26-2010, 10:55 AM
sekhmet101
5th Gear
I had the Mini about a week and had to have the fuel pump replaced. Looks like I'm starting to have the same problem again. I'll have to call service and see what they tell me. This makes me very unhappy.

Old 06-26-2010, 08:04 PM
FerRrari
2nd Gear
Mine was replaced @ 15K Mi along with an auxiliary water pump and injector service. I was planning to keep the car for a long time, my fiance loves it, now I'm worried about issues down the road.

Old 06-27-2010, 09:38 AM
R3R
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by R3R
MCS delivered Jan 2010.

Intake manifold replaced at 300 miles.
Fuel pump replaced at 3600 miles.
Now at 5000 miles fuel pump needs to be replaced again.
The third fuel pump starts to show early signs of failure (hesitation on cold starts) one week after being replaced. MINI has offered to buy the car back and I have a normally aspirated MC Mayfair on order, presently in production.

I was told by the service manager at the dealer that the HPFP is the same as in the 3-series BMWs, known to have a problem that the mother company has not solved... yet. Replacing the HPFP is a temporary fix. Hopefully BMW will find a solution to this problem...

I cannot count on that however and am going over to the normally aspirated MC because it does not require a high-pressure fuel pump.

Old 06-27-2010, 10:19 AM
timfitz63
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
After loosely following this thread for a while now, is it my imagination or is this problem more prevalent in 2010 model-year vehicles...? Out of all the MkII Cooper S vehicles, it seems like owners of that model year have the most frequent (and repetitive) problems with the high-pressure fuel pump.

Is it possible this is just a more recent run of bad fuel pumps, and the recent-production pumps that find their way into an older model year vehicle are skewing what's going on here...?

Has MINI/BMW recently changed suppliers on these components...?

Just a few random thoughts...

Old 06-27-2010, 12:58 PM
KevinC
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by timfitz63
Is it possible this is just a more recent run of bad fuel pumps, and the recent-production pumps that find their way into an older model year vehicle are skewing what's going on here...?

Has MINI/BMW recently changed suppliers on these components...?
To your first question, doubtful.

I used to own an E90 3-series and have been following this issue since the release of the N54 motor, way back in late '06 or thereabouts. The HPFP on that motor (allegedly the same pump as used on the MCS as per a post above, I have no idea if that's true) was an issue from Day 1, and has been revised at least a few times, including a vendor change at some point ages ago. I also just recently read that there is yet another "new" revision of the pump and owners are hopeful that this may finally resolve the problems. But jeez, almost 4 years and they can't get a reliable, working pump designed and into production? How can that be? Is the technology just that inherently complicated that major parts vendors can't build a reliable part, even after 4 years? Kinda frightening. What's worse is that BMW/MINI knows it's a problem, yet they have the dealer bullying owners about "bad gas" and trying to deflect blame. That's absolutely shameful.

Old 06-27-2010, 02:04 PM
timfitz63
5th Gear
Originally Posted by KevinC
To your first question, doubtful.

I used to own an E90 3-series and have been following this issue since the release of the N54 motor, way back in late '06 or thereabouts. The HPFP on that motor (allegedly the same pump as used on the MCS as per a post above, I have no idea if that's true) was an issue from Day 1, and has been revised at least a few times, including a vendor change at some point ages ago. I also just recently read that there is yet another "new" revision of the pump and owners are hopeful that this may finally resolve the problems. But jeez, almost 4 years and they can't get a reliable, working pump designed and into production? How can that be? Is the technology just that inherently complicated that major parts vendors can't build a reliable part, even after 4 years? Kinda frightening.
Eh, well. Another of my theories shot down...

That is a bit disturbing that MINI/BMW can't seem to resolve the reliability issues with a major component like a fuel pump, given that amount of time. Being an engineer myself, this sounds a lot like a scenario whereby some executive-level bean-counter at BMW won't allow the real solution to move forward due to "cost concerns." So, BMW corporate keeps telling the engineers to slap another band-aid on the existing design in the hopes one of them will eventually stop the hemorrhaging...

Or it just may come down to classic German stubbornness regarding their designs: "We don't make gross errors in our designs; therefore you must be doing something wrong when you use our finely-tuned, artfully-crafted piece of machinery. However, we will attempt to 'adjust' our design to be tolerant of your clearly negligent use of it..."

Originally Posted by KevinC
What's worse is that BMW/MINI knows it's a problem, yet they have the dealer bullying owners about "bad gas" and trying to deflect blame. That's absolutely shameful.
Agreed there. I made a point in a different thread that the "bad gas" charge MINI/BMW seems to universally apply to any engine-related warranty issue (high-pressure fuel pump, rough running due to carbon build-up on the injectors, etc.) for which owners bring in their vehicles doesn't hold a lot of water, so to speak. Is it not reasonable for owners to assume that any vehicle introduced into a given market (by any manufacturer) is capable of accepting whatever fuel is commonly available within that market...? I grant you that it's conceivable someone can get a tank of truly bad (old, contaminated, etc.) gas every once in a while; but all these vehicles from coast to coast...? Not likely...

And is MINI/BMW saying that their fuel pumps and engines can't stomach a little bad gas from time to time...? I realize the fuel system (direct injection requiring a high-pressure fuel supply), by design, makes the engineering problem more difficult; and I am slowly being educated (mostly through this forum) about what it all means for owners. But "bad gas" is the answer to all these problems...? Really weak, guys...

Old 06-27-2010, 02:06 PM
wildcrazy442000
4th Gear
2009 model 5/09 build date, HPFP replaced twice, still having problems.

Old 07-09-2010, 05:29 PM
luthientier
2nd Gear
This thread is terrifying.

I'm going to pick up my 2010 MCS tomorrow morning. I am worried I am going to regret getting a MCS and not just a MC. :(

I am so excited for my car, but really scared that since I want this car to last me for a long time that I should have went with a MC to get the reliability.

By the way, I think this is one of the best to the point HPFP threads. And agree with someones post in another thread to sticky one of these threads. Good info.

Last edited by luthientier; 07-09-2010 at 05:36 PM.
Old 07-09-2010, 06:03 PM
R3R
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by luthientier

I'm going to pick up my 2010 MCS tomorrow morning. I am worried I am going to regret getting a MCS and not just a MC. :(

I am so excited for my car, but really scared that since I want this car to last me for a long time that I should have went with a MC to get the reliability.
The MCS is a gamble. I hope you have better luck than me and that yours will be trouble free. It is a fun car to be sure.

Old 07-09-2010, 06:36 PM
sekhmet101
5th Gear
Originally Posted by luthientier

By the way, I think this is one of the best to the point HPFP threads. And agree with someones post in another thread to sticky one of these threads. Good info.

Like the previous poster said, I hope you have better luck then me. I'm bringing Violet in tomorrow for round 2 of trying to fix this problem. I got her about 6 weeks ago. Now, while I might be having a rough time, and others have too, it doesn't mean that all MCS's will have this issue. Think positive thoughts. Good luck. And most of all, enjoy your new MINI!

Old 07-11-2010, 10:04 AM
WKinNJ
Neutral
Polls

Originally Posted by sekhmet101
Like the previous poster said, I hope you have better luck then me. I'm bringing Violet in tomorrow for round 2 of trying to fix this problem. I got her about 6 weeks ago. Now, while I might be having a rough time, and others have too, it doesn't mean that all MCS's will have this issue. Think positive thoughts. Good luck. And most of all, enjoy your new MINI!
Some of the other forums I'm on have a set up where members can "vote" on issues they have had with their vehicles which shows up as a "percentage" bar graph, e.g., the Ducati forum I'm on has a running poll on gas tank issues with Ducati's sport classic bikes (turns out Ethanol in the gas may cause deformed plastic tanks). No one realized how serious the problem was until the "Gas tank Issues: Yes, No" poll showed greater than 60 % of the Ducati Sport Classic owners has issues with their tanks. Ducati is now replacing the tanks.

Is there a place/poll here or could there be to "Vote" on HP fuel pump issues to at least get an idea how serious the issue is?

Old 07-11-2010, 10:14 AM
DooBahDoo
6th Gear
I too had the HPFP issue and fortunately it's been replaced and the issue hasn't come back (knock on wood). I think that's a great idea and would be helpful to MINI and to fellow owners. I realize people that don't have issues don't post things like, "I have never replaced my HPFP"...so a log that would track & graph issues would be awesome! Great idea - hopefully someone will see this that can make it happen. Some of the broken windows and engine bay fires are quite alarming.

Old 07-11-2010, 01:01 PM
timfitz63
5th Gear
Originally Posted by WKinNJ
Some of the other forums I'm on have a set up where members can "vote" on issues they have had with their vehicles which shows up as a "percentage" bar graph, e.g., the Ducati forum I'm on has a running poll on gas tank issues with Ducati's sport classic bikes (turns out Ethanol in the gas may cause deformed plastic tanks). No one realized how serious the problem was until the "Gas tank Issues: Yes, No" poll showed greater than 60 % of the Ducati Sport Classic owners has issues with their tanks. Ducati is now replacing the tanks.

Is there a place/poll here or could there be to "Vote" on HP fuel pump issues to at least get an idea how serious the issue is?
I agree that this would be a great idea to track some of the more common and/or troubling problems (engine bay fires, carbon fouling, HPFP, breaking glass, sticking sunroofs, etc.). I would also think something like this would provide owners with some leverage in getting MINI/BMW to address the more problematic issues when they realize that the owners have collected the same kind of statistical information that they are no doubt tracking via customer complaints and service records.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:46 AM
MT MCS
Neutral
I just had the HPFP in my '07 MCS go out at 21,000 miles. Shut it down fine one night in the midst of a road trip, and had it sputter with loss of power the next morning. Towed 300 miles to the nearest dealer and they replaced it under warranty.

Interesting side note- my MCS developed an irritating rattle at idle this year. The dealer figured out it was a plugged intake solenoid valve for the camshaft adjustment (VANOS). They replaced the valve, and she runs quiet like new. Seems like I've seen several posts on this kind of rattle that some dealers simply write off as "normal for a MINI".

Old 07-13-2010, 12:16 PM
luthientier
2nd Gear
How long does it take to have the HPFP replaced? I'm just curious as to what the wait time will be. I'm taking mine in tomorrow morning to see if that's the problem.

Old 07-13-2010, 04:30 PM
MT MCS
Neutral
Seattle MINI did mine in a couple days, but part of that time was figuring out what went bad.

Old 07-15-2010, 05:57 PM
dorkboy
3rd Gear
Mine 2007 MCS with 91K kms is in getting a new HPFP today. I sure hope my extended warranty covers it!

Old 07-15-2010, 06:14 PM
sekhmet101
5th Gear
After my dealer had my baby for almost a week, they were not able to replicate the issue. I'll get it back tomorrow and start videotaping the problem. I'm sure its bound to happen again.

Old 08-09-2010, 10:36 PM
Canoehead
Neutral
I'm on my second fuel pump - mine died at 7,000 kilometres (4300 miles) - my MCS was only 13 months old at the time! Is the surging I'm feeling in first to third gear with this new pump a bad sign....?

Old 08-13-2010, 03:35 PM
rginter
Neutral
Fear Not!

I received my notice today that Mini USA is extending the warranty on my high pressure fuel pump to 120,000 miles or 10 years. No worries...

Old 08-13-2010, 03:45 PM
nicknbecka
6th Gear
Hmmm... I wonder if those of us that paid out of pocket will be reimbursed?

Quick Reply: High Pressure Fuel Pump Replacement