Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

High Pressure Fuel Pump Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 07:10 AM
Herleman
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by acamer01
Okay guys then my serv advisor is lying to me. He seems like a nice guy, but he is learning to lie like everybody in the dealer. He told me this was hpfp. Supposely tommorrow will be ready, and i will talk to him. And can you believe it has been a week. I also had an issue with the top and they are denying warranty. But can beleive that after week the mini rep hasn't been able to talk the deler.

You should simply contact Mini directly and advise them of what you have been told. Mini has shown itself to be honorable when they are confronted with this type of situation. Give them a chance.

Old 10-04-2010, 03:40 PM
Bob4
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
She was sounding a little rough and noticed a couple hicups (kind of like a wheel slip in the snow) while driving up hill behind traffic at about 30mpg.

Can someone send a pix of the HPFP in the bay?

Old 10-14-2010, 12:42 PM
Bob4
2nd Gear
Update
After many, many attempts to find some other reason for the CEL and rough idle PUMA has authorized the replacement of the HPFP. I hope this solves the problem.

Does anyone know if the faulty HPFP does or could cause something else to be stressed and fail ?

Old 10-15-2010, 10:26 AM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
My service advisor also told me that my Cooper (non-S) has a High Pressure Fuel Pump!

But I just confirmed with RealOEM that no, our non-turbo engines do NOT have the HPFP. Jeez...

That is a $250 pump! Ouch.

Old 10-15-2010, 10:32 AM
Herleman
5th Gear
You need a new SA

Old 10-15-2010, 10:37 AM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
This is advisor normally EXTREMELY good so I can't complain about this minor detail.

Now it appears the jump to 15% ethanol for all cars built 2007 on up is going to happen, we (and BMW owners) are going to be in a world of hurt.

Old 10-26-2010, 08:20 AM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
BMW is in hot water over the failures of the HPFP

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/10/26/a...ms-lawsuits-w/

Old 10-26-2010, 01:32 PM
skimmilk
2nd Gear
They better extend this recall to the 07-10 S if they have a better part available. The 10 yr warranty took several months to propagate to the mini line.

Old 10-26-2010, 01:39 PM
sekhmet101
5th Gear
Originally Posted by skimmilk
They better extend this recall to the 07-10 S if they have a better part available. The 10 yr warranty took several months to propagate to the mini line.

+1

Old 10-26-2010, 08:22 PM
R3R
2nd Gear
Whether the recall includes a better HPFP is questionable. It does include however an ECU reprogramming on top of the HPFP replacement, which in BMW turbo engines is notorious for making the engine feel less powerful. If I'm not mistaken, the drop in engine power with reprogramming is part of the class action lawsuits against BMW.

After my first HPFP replacement (on the MCS) I did notice a drop in engine power, but thought it was my imagination playing tricks on me until I read that BMW owners were experiencing the same problem (that was after having the MCS bought back by BMW).

If I owned an MCS with a trouble-free HPFP I would be weary of having the recall performed.

With hindsight I now understand why my MINI/BMW dealer suggested I stay away from turbo engines on my second MINI.

PS. Fuel pump on MC is electronic delivering 5 bar pressure vs. mechanical 2-piston fuel pump delivering 120 bar pressure on the MCS. Ref http://new.minimania.com/web/SCatago...8/ArticleV.cfm This is a 24-fold difference between the MC and MCS. How many other engine components have similar differentials?

Last edited by R3R; 10-26-2010 at 08:44 PM.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:22 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Okay, I've got a question for you all. I received an email yesterday from one of my local club members (I'm president of the Houston club), who said his mechanic recommended a computer flash for his '09 MCS. My friend was told that "MINI corporate is recommending it for all turbos because U.S. fuel is not the same quality as European fuel." I don't know if this is a dealer or not (he has 26,000 miles on it), but it was to be at his expense, and the cost is $269.

Is this BS? He's had no problems with his car, according to his note to me. It's in the shop for a sunroof problem, and that's when the tech mentioned it.

Comments?

Old 10-27-2010, 09:01 PM
mellanor
2nd Gear
Unfortunately, BMW has not found a solution to their HPFP issue, and the fuel pumps they are replacing in their BMW recall effort are identical to the ones they are taking out. This is also the case with the MINI HPFP. Therefore, even if (like me) you have had your HPFP replaced, you are certainly not immune from it happening again.

Old 10-28-2010, 08:24 AM
weldon978
1st Gear
Hpfp Rip

Mine died at 65k. I had it fixed and paid @$1500. When I got the letter explaining the extended warranty I called Mini USA. Told them when it was repaired and at what dealer. 4 weeks later I got a full reimbursement from Mini.

I have also had the cold start "final, official, this time we really mean it" fix performed outside of warranty.

I guess it pays to be very clear with your dealer and have an audit trail of issues throughout the cars life.

Old 10-28-2010, 11:34 AM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Originally Posted by weldon978
I guess it pays to be very clear with your dealer and have an audit trail of issues throughout the cars life.
That's the key with ANY consumer issue--good records!

Old 10-28-2010, 01:50 PM
SMOG
5th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
HPFP & more

Originally Posted by weldon978
Mine died at 65k. I had it fixed and paid @$1500. When I got the letter explaining the extended warranty I called Mini USA. Told them when it was repaired and at what dealer. 4 weeks later I got a full reimbursement from Mini.

I have also had the cold start "final, official, this time we really mean it" fix performed outside of warranty.

Same thing for health care

The 15% fuel garbage is a travesty. The farmers get paid and we get the shaft, and it's NOT a drive shaft. Try to reverse the juggernaut of Big Oil and the Government....

Stephen

Old 11-01-2010, 05:49 AM
Chris G
3rd Gear
I think mine is on the brink - yesterday morning at start-up it was pissed. Stumbled around for about 10-15 seconds before it could grab a stable idle. Pisses me off, but at least it'll be under warranty. I just hope I'm not stranded somewhere when it fails.

Old 11-01-2010, 01:39 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Chris G
I just hope I'm not stranded somewhere when it fails.
That's part of your warranty, too. Besides the tow, if you are over 100 miles from home when it fails, your expenses are covered. Call the 800 number and tell them you are "activating the trip interruption policy." That starts the ball rolling for motel and food expenses to be reimbursed. I think you're covered for up to $1000 (or something like that) in expenses, per incident--just save your receipts.

I had to use it in Albuquerque last year when our water pump started leaking, and MINI USA covered our motel and dinner expenses, no questions asked.

Old 11-01-2010, 05:32 PM
Chris G
3rd Gear
Good to know. I guess it's more of a pain in the butt more than anything. The car shouldn't be broken with less than 30k on it.

Old 11-23-2010, 04:07 PM
R3R
2nd Gear
I wonder if the HPFP failure could be related to the 10% ethanol content in gas (petrol) here in the US.

Anyone could comment on HPFP reliability in Europe or other areas where gas has no mandatory ethanol content?

Old 11-23-2010, 04:31 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Originally Posted by R3R
I wonder if the HPFP failure could be related to the 10% ethanol content in gas (petrol) here in the US.

Anyone could comment on HPFP reliability in Europe or other areas where gas has no mandatory ethanol content?
Or conversely, those states where there's universal ethanol, such as in the Corn Belt?

Old 11-23-2010, 08:37 PM
minimize07
4th Gear
Originally Posted by R3R
This is one of the reasons I add Techron to gas at fill up at about 3000 mi and the car seems to run smoothly and efficiently
I've been wondering that too.Hopefully a European will chime in and answer this question.I seem to think that they probably don't due to their higher quality "petrol",ethanol free.

Old 11-29-2010, 07:41 AM
ThePenl
3rd Gear
It is the same faulty HPFP here regardless of the better "ethanol free" fuel.
Mine was replaced at 35000 miles with a new one which I paid for (at a special price of 350€) because here in Europe it is out of the two year factory Warranty.
The only signs for HPFP failure was that I had 5-10% less power and no other faults or cels or anything.
It is been a month now without problems.
Hopefully will stay that way...

Old 11-29-2010, 07:48 AM
SMOG
5th Gear
The other side of the Pond

Originally Posted by ThePenl
It is the same faulty HPFP here regardless of the better "ethanol free" fuel.
Mine was replaced at 35000 miles with a new one which I paid for (at a special price of 350€) because here in Europe it is out of the two year factory Warranty.
The only signs for HPFP failure was that I had 5-10% less power and no other faults or cels or anything.
It is been a month now without problems.
Hopefully will stay that way...
Hey! Thanks for the input! So, it appears that Mini/BMW just used junky fuel pumps! It might pay to have a gauge that shows fuel pump pressure. Is your new HPFP an exact copy of the old one or did Mini give you one that was a bit different looking?

Stephen

Old 11-29-2010, 08:16 AM
ThePenl
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by SMOG-1
Hey! Thanks for the input! So, it appears that Mini/BMW just used junky fuel pumps! It might pay to have a gauge that shows fuel pump pressure. Is your new HPFP an exact copy of the old one or did Mini give you one that was a bit different looking?

Stephen
I don't know if there is an aftermarket meter that can show from 50 to 130 bars of fuel pressure! If there is one, please let me know because it will be very handy...
The new pump was a new coded pump, different part number than the factory fitted. If you search www.realoem.com you will find the part number that is valid. There is surely no visual difference between the two pumps.

P.s: my car is a October/2007 production date.

Old 11-29-2010, 08:20 AM
SMOG
5th Gear
Hpfp

Originally Posted by ThePenl
I don't know if there is an aftermarket meter that can show from 50 to 130 bars of fuel pressure! If there is one, please let me know because it will be very handy...
The new pump was a new coded pump, different part number than the factory fitted. If you search www.realoem.com you will find the part number that is valid. There is surely no visual difference between the two pumps.

P.s: my car is a October/2007 production date.
Here is one option, but there are others like PLX( http://www.plxdevices.com/ ) and DevToaster's Rev using an i-Phone. The PLX OBD II 200 Series looks pretty nice, if you like the black look of gauges prior to illumination.

http://www.scangauge.com/ This might be the least expensive way to get all info and be able to clear codes as well.

Stephen

Quick Reply: High Pressure Fuel Pump Replacement