Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Random ABS Failure

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 09:44 PM
//MZero
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Random ABS Failure

So I was at Buttonwillow about 2 weeks ago, on my last session on the track my ABS failed going into a corner at ~ 108 mph. Luckily Buttonwillow has plenty of run off and thus the only problems were severely flat spotted front tires and a very dirty/dusty car.

I've done a little research on the boards and it seems people have some problems with the wheel speed sensors "pulse generators". The thing is, everything worked fine. I didn't have a signal problem all day, then all of a sudden ABS didn't work for that one corner. Brought the car back into the pits, ABS light was on, Tire pressure light was on, and DSC light was actually OFF (I have the Auto off switch so it is normal for me to have this light ON).

Well, my day was already done. One because it was the last session, and also because of the flat spotted tires. I shut the car down, loaded all my stuff into it and when I turned it back on to leave the track, like magic all the lights had turned themselves off. Its been two weeks and not a problem since.

Ideas?

Old 04-22-2009, 12:12 PM
hangmanjt
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've just had the same problem, but I have no clue what could have caused it. Any good ideas out there?

Old 04-22-2009, 01:48 PM
//MZero
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The little research that I did do suggested that it was probably wheel speed sensor related. But I'm not sure why or how. Its been nearly a month since the incident and the car has been trouble free.

If it were heat related I would have expected it to happen other times when I REALLY got the brakes hot...this was the first lap of that session. Dirt in the sensor? Well, I did go off the track AFTER it happened? So I guess that's not it.

It would be nice to figure it out though...I certainly can't afford two new tires everytime I go to the track.