Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Excessive carbon build-up in engine

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 11:37 AM
fishbert
6th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by countryboyshane
Some before and after pics with the borescope will be very interesting when they are available
It will happen, but it may take a few weeks.

Old 09-09-2010, 02:07 PM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
No problem we'll be patient. The ones I've seen have just been with the head off the engine and no good documentation. It'll be great to see someone spill the beans!

Old 09-09-2010, 03:59 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
No problem we'll be patient. The ones I've seen have just been with the head off the engine and no good documentation. It'll be great to see someone spill the beans!
Well I should find out soon if mine has carbon buildup...its sitting at the dealer. Will be interesting because I SeaFoam pretty regularly and just did it about 3k miles ago.

Old 09-09-2010, 04:04 PM
fishbert
6th Gear
make sure they take pictures of what they find.

Old 09-10-2010, 05:07 AM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ThumperMCS
Well I should find out soon if mine has carbon buildup...its sitting at the dealer. Will be interesting because I SeaFoam pretty regularly and just did it about 3k miles ago.
How many times per week do you get the opportunity to drive the car hard?

Old 09-10-2010, 05:24 AM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
a good full rev full boost run... 2nd and 3rd gears can clear out a lot of crap.

Old 09-10-2010, 05:50 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
......... I don't blame this on my dealer either. I blame it on BMW/MINI. The dealer needs to pay its tech to diagnose/fix the cars as well as pay for parts...so the money for that is either coming from MINI, the customer, or they are stuck footing the bill themselves.
Not really. Just how much does it cost a dealer to make a customer happy ?

IMO there would be no adverse effects upon the dealers monthly bottom line diagnosing this.....and the time spent fixing a car correctly to bring a customer back into the door for another MINI in 4 yrs is an ounce of medicine for a pound of cure. Isn't that how you increase quarterly profit margins, and secure the future of a business.....Just sayin.....

Could always contact the regional service rep for BMW/MINI ?

Old 09-10-2010, 06:04 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bigprfed22
a good full rev full boost run... 2nd and 3rd gears can clear out a lot of crap.
Oh, all the experts here will shoot you down for that obvious remedy.

Old 09-10-2010, 06:04 AM
fishbert
6th Gear
Originally Posted by -=gRay rAvEn=-
Not really. Just how much does it cost a dealer to make a customer happy ?

IMO there would be no adverse effects upon the dealers monthly bottom line diagnosing this.....and the time spent fixing a car correctly to bring a customer back into the door for another MINI in 4 yrs is an ounce of medicine for a pound of cure. Isn't that how you increase quarterly profit margins, and secure the future of a business.....Just sayin.....

Could always contact the regional service rep for BMW/MINI ?
From what others have reported, it's about a week of labor (i.e., very expensive) to pull the head and do a manual carbon cleaning. I wouldn't expect a dealer to foot the bill for something like that, especially when it's likely an issue with all direct-injection models in their service area.

Old 09-10-2010, 09:22 AM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
It would be great to be able to do this ourselves down the long road after warranty but the fact that you need a special BMW tool to set the cam timing is torture!!

Old 09-10-2010, 09:46 AM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
Originally Posted by sequence
Oh, all the experts here will shoot you down for that obvious remedy.
, their cars need to poo once in a while.

Old 09-10-2010, 10:16 AM
tvrgeek
5th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Checked with some folks who have run diesels in the past. Yes, they have vapor separators on them. Big real ones, not little catch cans.

Big: If you read this thread, you would understand we are talking about crankcase vapors cokeing on the back of the intake valve. A high power run will INCREASE the issue. "Italian tuneups" were used in the old days ( pre 68) to burn carbon off spark plugs. This has not been an issue for probably longer than you have been alive.

Old 09-10-2010, 06:06 PM
Auto_Pilot
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's the verdict?

It could be fuel pump failure...which is now waranteed for 100k or 10 years.

Old 09-10-2010, 07:00 PM
///Mflossin
4th Gear
Originally Posted by tvrgeek
Checked with some folks who have run diesels in the past. Yes, they have vapor separators on them. Big real ones, not little catch cans.

Big: If you read this thread, you would understand we are talking about crankcase vapors cokeing on the back of the intake valve. A high power run will INCREASE the issue. "Italian tuneups" were used in the old days ( pre 68) to burn carbon off spark plugs. This has not been an issue for probably longer than you have been alive.
100% true. High inlet valve temperature mixing with crankcase vapors is bad news. Cokeing is a nasty process and something, in this engine configuration, which could potentially be a long term nightmare.

Old 09-10-2010, 07:14 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Auto_Pilot
What's the verdict?

It could be fuel pump failure...which is now waranteed for 100k or 10 years.
Ugh the verdict is they found a boost leak...which is great because my car was not holding boost too well and that answers a lot of questions about how my car was behaving for a while now. They also said fuel pump checked out fine.

But.....still pinging under acceleration...UGH. They didn't check for carbon, as once they found the boost leak they stopped there and assumed that was the cause. They took it for a drive and didn't hear it afterward.

Car goes back to them on Monday. And I'm making them go for a ride with me so they can hear it with me there.

Old 09-13-2010, 06:52 AM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Where did they find the boost leak?

Old 09-13-2010, 01:42 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Where did they find the boost leak?
I guess it would technically be a vaccuum leak as it was pre turbo...

The intake tube going into the turbo....right up by the turbo, it was underneath and fairly large they tell me. Fixed my boost issues (car wouldn't hold boost, and sometimes boost was very erratic)

Car is back at the dealer today, for them to figure out why it pings constantly. Tech went for a ride with me and heard it instantly. They're gonna pull the intake mani and also look into the cylinders.

This is all on stock tune/stock intake btw...

Old 09-13-2010, 01:54 PM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear

The intake tube going into the turbo....right up by the turbo, it was underneath and fairly large they tell me. Fixed my boost issues (car wouldn't hold boost, and sometimes boost was very erratic)

Car is back at the dealer today, for them to figure out why it pings constantly. Tech went for a ride with me and heard it instantly. They're gonna pull the intake mani and also look into the cylinders.

You were having inconsistent readings via sensors since you had more air coming in that was monitored

Old 09-13-2010, 01:58 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Bigprfed22
You were having inconsistent readings via sensors since you had more air coming in that was monitored
Yes....

Doesn't explain why it still pings though. The boost issue was a seperate isssue.

Literally knocks/pings anytime I accelerate under boost

Old 09-13-2010, 02:19 PM
tvrgeek
5th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Thumber, Sounds like a sensor problem. Ignition timing is off.

Old 09-16-2010, 08:35 AM
LBMCS702
1st Gear
misfires

I am having the same issue as everyone else. Car started pinging here and there I wasn't absolutely sure then one day it started to misfire and momentarily lose all power...Took it to the dealer and the chalked it up to owner error by not using top tier gas. And they were charging $470 and they even had the B@lls to say that this overnight carbon removal process may not even work. I asked will i get a refund if my car still pings? Answer, NO. What kind of BS is that... On my fourth bottle of techron and no major misfires recently, but still pinging... Haven't tried the seafoam yet. Kinda reluctant but will probably try.

Old 09-16-2010, 09:05 AM
///Mflossin
4th Gear
I have the BSH boost tap and catch can coming next week. Car has 3K miles on it and I want to avoid this coking issue at all costs.

Old 09-20-2010, 12:06 PM
jeanet2001
Neutral
Thumper MCS, I am in the same boat! My 08 MCS was just dropped off this morning for the 3rd time! I have had a rough idle issue that has been diagnosed twice with two different causes:

The first time I was told was due to carbon build up at 23k miles and the dealer tried blaming it on bad gas(load of *%^$ after reading all the other posts on this issue). The second time I was told was the vaccuum leak and was "repaired". The rough idle is back again and I have taken it in and told them to be sure to check for carbon build up and possible fuel pump problems.

If they can't fix it this time, I may have to return the car under the lemon law. At a red light, the car shutters so much I feel like it might stall and it hesitates sometimes when i accellerate. My car has also been in the shop for a bad gear shift assembly and a msyerious rattle from the rear hatch area. I love my Mini but I'm starting to fear life with a Mini after Warranty (I'm at 38k miles)

Old 09-20-2010, 12:17 PM
clutchless
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
An 08 probably no longer qualifies for lemon law status in many states. Usually a lemon law covers problems in the first year or 18 months. Also you will need a lawyer, Mini is not just going to roll over when you demand they buy back the car. The states with good lemon laws provide for lawyers fees, so it will not cost you anything and there are lots of lawyers who are eager to evaluate your case for free and take it if there is a valid case. Just Google lemon law and your state name to learn more and probably find a zillion ads for lemon law attorneys.

Old 09-20-2010, 12:20 PM
LBMCS702
1st Gear
Seafoamed the mcs after the first application a world of a difference car drove with the same urgency as previous. Did it twice more to see if it would be be even better but only accomplished an engine light coming on:(

Overall highly recommened for all Mini owners just don't step on the gas too much on restart

Quick Reply: Excessive carbon build-up in engine