Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

OEM v. Aftermarket ballast

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 10:32 PM
PaulWalliDumali
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yellow,
I had the same problem and just decided to switch to DDMTunings aftermarket HID Kit! It was simple of cutting two wires and gettign a adapter to the aftermarket ballast. Works fine. If you guys want help, PM me!

Old 07-20-2010, 07:53 AM
burley
6th Gear
Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts
This thread is 2 years old, so Im guessing the OP already bought a ballast. For future reference, you can buy any BMW ballast and stick it in any year MINI. Make sure the ballast is the Bosch. You can get them from ebay used for less than $100 - very very very easy to find... last time I looked there were around 15 of them.

I would never snip a wire and get an aftermarket ballast for a mini. The ballasts are fine quality, but the OEM is plug and play. Im pretty hesitant to just start snipping wires. Those headlights are pretty finicky. Besides, the light output will be the same.

Last edited by burley; 07-20-2010 at 01:16 PM.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:41 PM
PaulWalliDumali
3rd Gear
I would agree with you, but I had two ballast die out on me! I bought them on ebay and they dont go for less than $100! They go for about $110, and that is used. I been there and done all that

Old 07-21-2010, 09:12 PM
burley
6th Gear
I'd personally rather pay a little extra for plug and play OEM vs aftermarket and snip snip. Just my opinion.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:01 PM
Rich.Wolfson
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by whOOPS01
I would agree with you, but I had two ballast die out on me! I bought them on ebay and they dont go for less than $100! They go for about $110, and that is used. I been there and done all that
I too am having this problem. Changed the control unit and it made no difference. Sometimes it lights. Othertimes....

I am thinking igniter and RealOEM lists it separately but I can't find anyone on the board that has ever been successful replacing one rather than changing the whole assembly as the dealers tend to do.

I really would like to solve this.

Rich

Last edited by Rich.Wolfson; 03-12-2011 at 09:17 PM.
Old 07-23-2010, 06:46 AM
burley
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Rich.Wolfson
I too am having this problem. Changed the control unit and it made no difference. Sometimes it lights. Othertimes....

I am thinking igniter and RealOEM lists it separately but I can find anyone on the board that has ever been successful replacing on rather than changing the whole assembly as the dealers tend to do.

Rich
on 02-04 the igniter is inside the headlight and is pretty hard to get out. On the 05+ the igniter attaches to the bulb, and is very easy to change. Check ebay, pretty cheap and common part.

Old 07-24-2010, 11:27 PM
PaulWalliDumali
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by burley
I'd personally rather pay a little extra for plug and play OEM vs aftermarket and snip snip. Just my opinion.
Yellow,
Is there a plug and play OEM for my car that comes stock with HIDs? I dont think there is. I just had two ballast of mine go out and I didnt want to go out and buy another AL Bosch ballast for a $100. So, that is why I tried to go aftermarket for cheaper, and they are great. They are just the same as my OEM, and have not had any problems yet.

I have read some other forums that you were in, and I think I read that you did a retrofit? Also, I think you told me before about how you did some test on bulb brightness with your camera. What was your results? I would like to know, becasue I want my HIDs to become birghter, but I dont want to go to 55W. Do you have any suggestions about bulbs. Like, I also have a problem aiming my headlights properly. Thanks

Old 07-25-2010, 05:05 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
I regulary see used OEM whole Xenon units for sale pretty cheap, any chance you can just swap out the ballast from a used headlight ? Cheaper than buying a new ballast and then just store the HD housing to scavenge other parts from like bulbs ect.....

Old 07-25-2010, 09:58 AM
Rich.Wolfson
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
on 02-04 the igniter is inside the headlight and is pretty hard to get out. On the 05+ the igniter attaches to the bulb, and is very easy to change. ...
Of course. Nothing is easy.

Has anyone been successful changing the igniter on the 02-04? I have changed control units and bulbs and it still starts intermittently.

Rich

Old 07-26-2010, 07:24 AM
burley
6th Gear
Of course. Nothing is easy.

Has anyone been successful changing the igniter on the 02-04? I have changed control units and bulbs and it still starts intermittently.

Rich
Ignitors on an 02-04 are inside the headlight, unlike the 05+. Its a pain to get the housing apart, but its possible. I did it, and I dont recommend - but, what have you got to lose I guess since the alternative is a new headlight.

Bake, pry, bake, pry, repeat. Do a search for "joey mod" and disregard any instructions that says that its easy. They're referring to the 05+, which is very easy to get apart. But you have an 02-04, which uses a cement-like sealant that doesn't come apart very easy.

Once you get the headlight apart, its pretty easy to swap out the ignitor. If you dont want to go through this, you might be a good candidate for an after market ballast (since they have built in ignitors). Then you could sell your working ballasts for $100/each and recoup some of your $$$ and save some time. I have no idea how to splice your aftermarket ballasts into the Mini, Im sure some could instruct you. I'd imagine it'd hook straight to your battery and need a harness w/ fuses and a resistor of some sort. Just a guess, since thats how 99% of aftermarket HID kits work.

Old 07-26-2010, 07:39 AM
burley
6th Gear
Yellow,
Is there a plug and play OEM for my car that comes stock with HIDs? I dont think there is. I just had two ballast of mine go out and I didnt want to go out and buy another AL Bosch ballast for a $100. So, that is why I tried to go aftermarket for cheaper, and they are great. They are just the same as my OEM, and have not had any problems yet.

I have read some other forums that you were in, and I think I read that you did a retrofit? Also, I think you told me before about how you did some test on bulb brightness with your camera. What was your results? I would like to know, becasue I want my HIDs to become birghter, but I dont want to go to 55W. Do you have any suggestions about bulbs. Like, I also have a problem aiming my headlights properly. Thanks
I would only cut and splice if I HAD to, since MINIs are very fickle and electronic problems are big $$$. When I did my HID retrofit I used all OEM electrical parts so it was all plug and play, even though I used an Acura TSX projector - the OEM ballast still plugged in using the OEM harness. Once again, just my opinion. I do agree that aftermarket ballasts are just as good, but I wouldn't risk the potential electrical issues.

First, as for getting a brighter headlight w/out using 55W ballasts.... Its all in the bulb. You are using D2R or D2S right? If not, thats your first problem. This will screw up your aiming and will create hotspots instead of nice even light. It'll look like you have 2 flashlights tied to your hood. Its really bright sure, for about 10 feet, then black.

Second, (OEM) Phillips are the brightest generally. Aftermarket D2S/D2R bulbs can be a little brighter, but they often have hot spots, and create inconsistent / uneven cutoffs because they're not all made exactly the same shape. Why? They're made in Chinese sweatshops.

HID bulbs color shift after 100 or so hours. They shift to a bluer tint. Most people like a bluer bulb - but, they lose lumens when they shift. So... if you want brighter and blueish light - tough. They're conflicting ideas unless you get a 55W ballast.

You can find a happy in between with color match phillips bulbs (5000k) vs standard 4300k. Do a google search for phillips CM or color match bulbs. Hope this helps.

Old 07-26-2010, 03:22 PM
PaulWalliDumali
3rd Gear

I am thinking igniter and RealOEM lists it separately but I can find anyone on the board that has ever been successful replacing on rather than changing the whole assembly as the dealers tend to do.

Rich
Yellow,
I just went to aftermarket DDMTuning to try it out and it is working perfect. I just plugged and play except for cutting two wires and connected it to a 9006 adapter so I can have power out to the new ballast. If you like, I can show you how, but Its up too you. I would prefer OEM also like what burly said, but I didn't have another $100 bucks for a used Bosch ballast. I only found the OEM ballast for $100. I kept my one working ballast just in case I wanted to switch back if anything happens.

Old 07-26-2010, 03:25 PM
PaulWalliDumali
3rd Gear
Ignitors on an 02-04 are inside the headlight, unlike the 05+. Its a pain to get the housing apart, but its possible. I did it, and I dont recommend - but, what have you got to lose I guess since the alternative is a new headlight.

Bake, pry, bake, pry, repeat. Do a search for "joey mod" and disregard any instructions that says that its easy. They're referring to the 05+, which is very easy to get apart. But you have an 02-04, which uses a cement-like sealant that doesn't come apart very easy.

Once you get the headlight apart, its pretty easy to swap out the ignitor. If you dont want to go through this, you might be a good candidate for an after market ballast (since they have built in ignitors). Then you could sell your working ballasts for $100/each and recoup some of your $$$ and save some time. I have no idea how to splice your aftermarket ballasts into the Mini, Im sure some could instruct you. I'd imagine it'd hook straight to your battery and need a harness w/ fuses and a resistor of some sort. Just a guess, since thats how 99% of aftermarket HID kits work.
Yellow,
What is the ignitor? All I know is the ballast, bulb, and the socket for the bulb to goes to the ballast.

Old 07-26-2010, 03:32 PM
PaulWalliDumali
3rd Gear
I would only cut and splice if I HAD to, since MINIs are very fickle and electronic problems are big $$$. When I did my HID retrofit I used all OEM electrical parts so it was all plug and play, even though I used an Acura TSX projector - the OEM ballast still plugged in using the OEM harness. Once again, just my opinion. I do agree that aftermarket ballasts are just as good, but I wouldn't risk the potential electrical issues.

First, as for getting a brighter headlight w/out using 55W ballasts.... Its all in the bulb. You are using D2R or D2S right? If not, thats your first problem. This will screw up your aiming and will create hotspots instead of nice even light. It'll look like you have 2 flashlights tied to your hood. Its really bright sure, for about 10 feet, then black.

Second, (OEM) Phillips are the brightest generally. Aftermarket D2S/D2R bulbs can be a little brighter, but they often have hot spots, and create inconsistent / uneven cutoffs because they're not all made exactly the same shape. Why? They're made in Chinese sweatshops.

HID bulbs color shift after 100 or so hours. They shift to a bluer tint. Most people like a bluer bulb - but, they lose lumens when they shift. So... if you want brighter and blueish light - tough. They're conflicting ideas unless you get a 55W ballast.

You can find a happy in between with color match phillips bulbs (5000k) vs standard 4300k. Do a google search for phillips CM or color match bulbs. Hope this helps.
Yellow,
I saw your DIY for the retrofit and it was awesome! I would like to do that also for my car, but you said it is hard to take the housing apart. I dont want to try and mess it up and end up buying new housing which is really expensive. I have 5K right now and they are alittle brighter than my OEMs, probably because of my new bulbs I have. Are you saying that Phillips tend to be the brighter bulbs or HID kit? If it is the bulbs, would I have brighter light if I get Phillips? Like I said that my aftermarket is a bit brighter than my OEMs, but I dont know if I have it aimed right. I aimed it A LOT of times to get it the best coverage, but I got it to my best and I dont think it looks right. I will take a picture tonight for you and post it and please tell me if it is correct. Also, I would like to know what some wires are in the OEM HID kit. Since I cut only two wires, I want to know what the other ones are for. Ill send you a picture of what wires I am talking about.

Old 07-26-2010, 03:35 PM
PaulWalliDumali
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by -=gRay rAvEn=-
I regulary see used OEM whole Xenon units for sale pretty cheap, any chance you can just swap out the ballast from a used headlight ? Cheaper than buying a new ballast and then just store the HD housing to scavenge other parts from like bulbs ect.....
Yellow,
When my Bosch ballast went bad, I bought another ballast on ebay for about $100. I dont know what you are trying to get at. Are you trying to say look for used headlights and get the ballast from there?

Old 07-26-2010, 10:28 PM
burley
6th Gear
Yellow,
I saw your DIY for the retrofit and it was awesome! I would like to do that also for my car, but you said it is hard to take the housing apart. I dont want to try and mess it up and end up buying new housing which is really expensive. I have 5K right now and they are alittle brighter than my OEMs, probably because of my new bulbs I have. Are you saying that Phillips tend to be the brighter bulbs or HID kit? If it is the bulbs, would I have brighter light if I get Phillips? Like I said that my aftermarket is a bit brighter than my OEMs, but I dont know if I have it aimed right. I aimed it A LOT of times to get it the best coverage, but I got it to my best and I dont think it looks right. I will take a picture tonight for you and post it and please tell me if it is correct. Also, I would like to know what some wires are in the OEM HID kit. Since I cut only two wires, I want to know what the other ones are for. Ill send you a picture of what wires I am talking about.
What kind of bulbs do you have now? Are they still D2S / D2R? Do they look the same as OEM?

Old 07-27-2010, 01:07 AM
PaulWalliDumali
3rd Gear
What kind of bulbs do you have now? Are they still D2S / D2R? Do they look the same as OEM?
I have these bulbs called Apexcone I believe. They are from DDM Tuning and they do look the same as my OEM Philips.

Old 07-28-2010, 06:35 AM
burley
6th Gear
Yellow,
When my Bosch ballast went bad, I bought another ballast on ebay for about $100. I dont know what you are trying to get at. Are you trying to say look for used headlights and get the ballast from there?
Phillips bulbs wont be brighter initially, but they'll stay brighter over the long haul. Not much else you can do other than buy a 55w ballast. Bulbs are bulbs, not too much difference. Its not like halogen where the bulb controls how bright they are, its the ballast.

http://www.aftermarketbulbsshop.com/...phi-cm-d2s.htm

or

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...roducts_id=148

Thats all I got...

Old 07-28-2010, 12:50 PM
PaulWalliDumali
3rd Gear
Yellow,
Thanks! Would you recommend getting 55W ballast? Would it be safe for my housing and stuff?

Old 07-28-2010, 04:28 PM
burley
6th Gear
Yellow,
Thanks! Would you recommend getting 55W ballast? Would it be safe for my housing and stuff?
No, they'll melt your housing and cause the chrome to chip away over time. Not much you can do other than swap out the projector for a better one (if you have 05+ headlights) but that, as you know, is a conversation all its own

What year is your Mini btw? If its an 02-04 then I'd say try the 55W ballast, you could always just buy a set of 05+ if they melt. I wouldn't risk a set of 05+ headlights personally, unless you're cool about spending another $600+ on new headlights.

Old 07-29-2010, 01:28 PM
PaulWalliDumali
3rd Gear
Yellow,
I have a 2004 Mini Cooper S! I have the reflector headlights. So, you would say try 55W on my 04'? And if it does melt, how much would the 05' housing cost? Also, would you really think I will be safe using 55W on my 04'? Im too scared. I want to do a retro fit like you, but I still have to see.

Old 07-29-2010, 05:40 PM
burley
6th Gear
Yellow,
I have a 2004 Mini Cooper S! I have the reflector headlights. So, you would say try 55W on my 04'? And if it does melt, how much would the 05' housing cost? Also, would you really think I will be safe using 55W on my 04'? Im too scared. I want to do a retro fit like you, but I still have to see.
Not to put myself on a pedestal, but a retrofit requires some brass *****... Or stupidity. Either way, you have to risk screwing up your headlights. A retrofit costs around $500 for parts and there's a good chance that after the 40-80 hours or work is put into it, they wont look OEM. I got extremely lucky and it worked out. Personally, I like weird projects, and it got me through a Kansas winter.

In all actuality, the brightness doesn't matter that much. I'll explain.

Most modders can relate. When you first do a 10-15 HP gain you'll notice it for 1-2 months. Then you get used to it and you wonder why your car is running sluggish. Same with headlights. You have no basis of comparison and after you've gotten used to them, your eyes just adjust. The only difference I can really see after 2 years is that my headlights beam is much wider than others (nice for dodging deer in the midwest). I also notice when I put other car's headlights in the shadows while getting passed on the freeway.

Really, I'd just keep them stock or switch to some 05+ headlights. I was saying that you could try the 55W ballasts in your $250 02-04 xenons and if they got fried, it'd be a good reason to swap for some nice 05+ xenons ($500-600 used).

I sold my R50 with the retrofited TSX headlights. Some lucky guy in Hawaii bought my 03' R50 when I was laid off and I only needed 1 car. I've since then landed on my feet and now own an '04 R53 w/ xenons. You better believe I'm not doing another retrofit. As soon as I have the money, I'm buying a set of 05+ xenons and thats it.

Last edited by burley; 07-29-2010 at 05:47 PM.
Old 07-30-2010, 12:07 AM
PaulWalliDumali
3rd Gear
Not to put myself on a pedestal, but a retrofit requires some brass *****... Or stupidity. Either way, you have to risk screwing up your headlights. A retrofit costs around $500 for parts and there's a good chance that after the 40-80 hours or work is put into it, they wont look OEM. I got extremely lucky and it worked out. Personally, I like weird projects, and it got me through a Kansas winter.

In all actuality, the brightness doesn't matter that much. I'll explain.

Most modders can relate. When you first do a 10-15 HP gain you'll notice it for 1-2 months. Then you get used to it and you wonder why your car is running sluggish. Same with headlights. You have no basis of comparison and after you've gotten used to them, your eyes just adjust. The only difference I can really see after 2 years is that my headlights beam is much wider than others (nice for dodging deer in the midwest). I also notice when I put other car's headlights in the shadows while getting passed on the freeway.

Really, I'd just keep them stock or switch to some 05+ headlights. I was saying that you could try the 55W ballasts in your $250 02-04 xenons and if they got fried, it'd be a good reason to swap for some nice 05+ xenons ($500-600 used).

I sold my R50 with the retrofited TSX headlights. Some lucky guy in Hawaii bought my 03' R50 when I was laid off and I only needed 1 car. I've since then landed on my feet and now own an '04 R53 w/ xenons. You better believe I'm not doing another retrofit. As soon as I have the money, I'm buying a set of 05+ xenons and thats it.
Yellow,
I understand what you are saying and it is totally true. I dont think I am going to get 55W. I dont have the money right now to be riskting anything in my car. LOL! Anyways, I just get irritated because It doesnt seem that my lights are not aligned evenly on both sides and stuff. Imma send you a picture tomorrow and let me know what you think. Thanks!

Old 07-30-2010, 06:31 AM
burley
6th Gear
Post a pic and I'll see whats wrong. There are adjustment screws to fix this easily.

Old 01-29-2011, 04:52 PM
TerryW
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can't find ballasts under $100

This thread is 2 years old, so Im guessing the OP already bought a ballast. For future reference, you can buy any BMW ballast and stick it in any year MINI. Make sure the ballast is the Bosch. You can get them from ebay used for less than $100 - very very very easy to find... last time I looked there were around 15 of them.

I would never snip a wire and get an aftermarket ballast for a mini. The ballasts are fine quality, but the OEM is plug and play. Im pretty hesitant to just start snipping wires. Those headlights are pretty finicky. Besides, the light output will be the same.
I wish I could find these ballasts at the price quoted above, but the cheapest that I have found is about $120 for a used one. RealOEM wants $449, so, I guess that isn't so bad. Also, my car uses a ballast that is attached with 3 screws and has a flush connector. The only BMW versions that look the same are these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/02-06...ht_9670wt_1167

I think I'll have to go this way. My passenger side was acting up and I swapped bulb and ballasts. The problem moved with the ballast. Too bad, you can get a pair of bulbs from eBay sellers for $25.00.