Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Cold start chatter

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 03:01 PM
ehart13169
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Btw.....about 500 miles when I first heard it, about 12-13,000 miles when it went to the dealer with the noise returned.

Old 01-28-2008, 03:11 PM
ehart13169
1st Gear
Originally Posted by msh441
Saw this posted elsewhere. Thought it might interest a few here. I can't speak to the validity or authenticity of the UK PUMA... but here it is none the less:
Quote:
Originally Posted by brgc00perboy
Just back from Elms. Workshop Controller has said that the car was started in the presence of the PUMA rep.

SITUATION

Noise was reproduced.
PUMA attributed noise to crankcase vacuum pump.
There is a PUMA case number for this.
Replacement part will not fix the problem.

DETAIL

Noise caused by slack in journal between camshaft and vacuum pump. When under load (i.e. during the first minutes of running), the pump journals rattle. As the pressure in the crankcase equalizes, load is reduced on then pump and noise goes.

TEST

Remove vacuum pipe during first few minutes of running (get a friend to do this). Noise should go away.

FURTHER ACTION AND OPINION

Now this is what the guys said to me so I am going to try this at the weekend. My engine knowledge is a bit limited so opinions on this are welcome. I'm still not convinced about this and will now be pursing the matter with MINI customer service as Elm's Cambridge can do no more.

Any suggestions on the next step?
I'm assuming the vacuum pump he's referring to is at the back of the cylinder head (towards the driver's side of the car)....if so, that could be the issue. I have a mechanic's stethoscope (not sure about spelling there), and when my car was making the noise, it was loudest right there. Has anyone heard any updates regarding whether or not the above diagnosis was proven right or wrong?

Old 01-28-2008, 05:10 PM
msh441
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ehart13169
I'm assuming the vacuum pump he's referring to is at the back of the cylinder head (towards the driver's side of the car)....if so, that could be the issue. I have a mechanic's stethoscope (not sure about spelling there), and when my car was making the noise, it was loudest right there. Has anyone heard any updates regarding whether or not the above diagnosis was proven right or wrong?
Yeah... the owner that posted it on MINI 2 suggested he tried it himself...

...like everything else so far, it had absolutely zero effect and his engine still rattled away.

If this is a "normal" charactoristic for this car... it will be a "normal" charatoristic of someone else's car. I won't have it, personally.

Old 01-28-2008, 08:09 PM
Event-Horizon
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by msh441
If this is a "normal" charactoristic for this car... it will be a "normal" charatoristic of someone else's car. I won't have it, personally.
How often do you get this noise? Is this really something that going to cause the hassle of selling your Mini or possibly losing money on it?

I've heard this noise all of two times over the past 3500 miles, for all of 30 seconds. I don't think this justifies getting rid of the car. Maybe if worse comes to worse, you can get a lemon law on your Mini.

Old 01-28-2008, 10:42 PM
msh441
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Event-Horizon
How often do you get this noise? Is this really something that going to cause the hassle of selling your Mini or possibly losing money on it?
Over 11,500 miles, it progressivly got worse... occurring more and more frequently... lasting longer and getting louder each time. Yes... somthing like 1-in-20 starts. But each of those could be clearly heard outside the vehicle gathering onlookers each and every time. Driving down the road it sounded as if it was going to fall apart or eat a valve. Bottom line: it's just not right for a $35000 car.

So yes, if MINI can't fix it for good (they get one more try if the engine replacement doesn't do it)... I will do my best to Lemon Law the car and let MINI buy it back. Better that, then keep the car and risk no one wanting it when I sell it or trade down the road. I mean, personally... if this issue isn't properly addressed by MINI, I don't think there will be many who would want to touch a used R55,R56 or R57S (considering all three engines are fundamentally the same).

"Normal" noise? Trait of the engine? No thanks.

Last edited by msh441; 01-28-2008 at 10:55 PM.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:22 PM
Auntluly
Neutral
I have it too. I'm just sick about this. I had to wait 2 years to order my "dream car" and my dream turned out to be a nightmare. "Lilluly" is at the dealers now. Its been there about 6 times for this. I have a couple of questions if anyone can help.

1. If it comes down to replacing the engine, won't I be getting the exact same engine?

2. My state says you have to use the lemon law before the car is 1 year old and the dealer has to have repaired the same problem at least 4 times. "Lilluly" will be 1 in 25 days and so far the dealer has only attempted to fix it once with a Non return oil valve. They said they couldnt duplicate the noise the other 5 times I took it in. I guess my question is.. will I not be able to lemon law it? Will a lawyer help? I appreciate any advice. Thanks!

(Thank You MSH441 for your great posts! I actually took a couple of them to my dealer this last time and asked him to please check out this forum.)

Old 01-29-2008, 02:56 PM
OSUmcs
2nd Gear
So I think we should tally this up so we can get a better idea of who, where, when and how.....does your car do this? Build date? And how often does it occur? Have you taken it to your dealer for this problem?
My car does it...Jan 31st 07 build date...about 2x/month...I took it to the dealer 6months ago...they couldnt replicate and knew nothing about it. Decided to hold off until more people came forward so they could find a solution. Coming up on one year of ownership.

Last edited by OSUmcs; 01-29-2008 at 04:01 PM.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:50 PM
Sundevil
2nd Gear
I have that problem too! My car is only 4 months old. I brought it in to the dealer, but they could not replicate the problem. I emailed MINIUSA and they advised me to try another dealer!

Old 01-29-2008, 05:29 PM
Event-Horizon
2nd Gear
Ok, I think it’s a good idea to create a database of sorts about "cold start" noise. Maybe this way we can find a common link with the problem. Any other information that we should add?

Cooper S, 6-Speed Manual
Build Date: October 2007
Miles: 3500+
Duration: 30 seconds to 1 minute
RPM range: 1500-2000rpm
Ambient Temp: low 30's first time, 18 degrees second time.
Oil: Factory Fill, Castrol 5w-30, oil level full

Any other relevant information:
Car parked with the nose of the car in a downward slope both times. The sound can best be described as a growling, clattering, or rhythmic tapping. This cannot be piston slap at this speed because the frequency is too low. At 2000rpm, piston slap would would happen over 33 times a second. This is valve train related for sure due to the half-speed frequency of the sound. This means that at an engine speed of 2000rpm, the cams are spinning at 1000rpm or roughly 16 times a second.

Last edited by Event-Horizon; 01-30-2008 at 05:01 AM.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:45 PM
Impulsive
Banned
Sorry, sincerely, to those of you dealing with this problem. It hurts me reading six pages of posts and I don't even own the car.

As 'msh441' just stated above, this is NOT acceptable for ANY car, let alone a $35k BMW. And to have this issue continue unsolved (publicly) is pathetic.

I REALLY wanted to buy the JCW 210hp version this summer/fall but there is no way I'm paying that kind of money to a supposed "luxury" automaker that can't build an engine that makes as little noise as a $15k Kia Rio.

Good luck to you all ... you don't deserve this, especially after spending that kind of money.

Old 01-29-2008, 09:06 PM
rdwatt
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Event-Horizon
Ok, I think it’s a good idea to create a database of sorts about "cold start" noise. Maybe this way we can find a common link with the problem. Any other information that we should add?

Build Date: October 2007
Miles: 3500+
Duration: 30 seconds to 1 minute
RPM range: 1500-2000rpm
Ambient Temp: low 30's first time, 18 degrees second time.
Oil: Factory Fill, Castrol 5w-30, oil level full

Car parked with the nose of the car in a downward slope both times. The sound can best be described as a growling, clattering, or rhythmic tapping. This cannot be piston slap at this speed because the frequency is too low. At 2000rpm, piston slap would would happen over 33 times a second. This is valve train related for sure due to the half-speed frequency of the sound. This means that at an engine speed of 2000rpm, the cams are spinning at 1000rpm or roughly 16 times a second.
MCS...right? How about auto or manuel?

Old 01-30-2008, 06:32 AM
Bishamon
3rd Gear
Cooper S, 6-Speed Manual
Build Date: February 2007
Miles: 3000 kilometers
Duration: 30 seconds to 5 minutes
RPM range: 1500-2000rpm+
Ambient Temp: anywhere from +3.5 to -10.0 Celsius
Oil: Factory, oil level full

The car is always parked on a level surface, and there are no other apparent common factors. It can happen after sitting for only a few hours after a 20+ minute drive, and it may not happen after sitting for several days. The only common thread seems to be the cold temperatures.

Last edited by Bishamon; 01-30-2008 at 06:35 AM.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:38 AM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Nearly 140 posts on this issue and counting, plus 500+ over on MINI2. IMHO, this thread is at the point of warranting sticky status.

Old 01-30-2008, 06:58 PM
dneal
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Auntluly
I have it too. I'm just sick about this. I had to wait 2 years to order my "dream car" and my dream turned out to be a nightmare. "Lilluly" is at the dealers now. Its been there about 6 times for this. I have a couple of questions if anyone can help.

1. If it comes down to replacing the engine, won't I be getting the exact same engine?

2. My state says you have to use the lemon law before the car is 1 year old and the dealer has to have repaired the same problem at least 4 times. "Lilluly" will be 1 in 25 days and so far the dealer has only attempted to fix it once with a Non return oil valve. They said they couldnt duplicate the noise the other 5 times I took it in. I guess my question is.. will I not be able to lemon law it? Will a lawyer help? I appreciate any advice. Thanks!

(Thank You MSH441 for your great posts! I actually took a couple of them to my dealer this last time and asked him to please check out this forum.)
1. Don't really understand what you mean by "exact" Same serial number? Maybe. Same type? Definitely. You could get a short block (the basic block, crank, rods and pistons) and they use your existing heads and other parts/accessories. They could also only replace a particular part on your current engine that they deem faulty. Finally, you could get a brand new, complete engine.

2. At this point, and if you think you want to pursue lemon law action, you should talk to a lawyer. Do you have the paperwork from the previous times you took the car in? Were they for the same complaint? I would think that the 4 previous times would count (if it was for the same complaint). They basically validated your complaint by replacing the valve.

Old 01-30-2008, 08:36 PM
porkchop
2nd Gear
Cooper S, Auto
Build Date: Aug 2007
Miles: 3000 mi
Duration: 30 seconds to 5 minutes
RPM range: 1000-4000rpm
Ambient Temp: 10-20F
Oil: Factory, oil level full

Old 01-31-2008, 12:28 AM
SPECKY
1st Gear
Ok, Here goes. My MCS has this NASTY RATTLE, and i'm on Mini2 as Specky 1. Think mine was the first to have a new engine back in october last year. Before the new unit was fitted it had everything done to the old one and NOTHING fixes this problem. I've been given alsorts of excuses by my dealer but top and bottom of it is this
THEY "STILL" DONT KNOW AND I DONT THINK THEY REALLY CARE EITHER.

Personally i'm loosing faith now and feel like getting shut of it, but i've got far too much in mods on the car that cant be transfered to another mini.

I'm currently in contact with Mini UK about the whole disgusting situation because my new engine is just like a tractor and i ran it in to the letter as owners manual describes. I wanted so much to keep my mini this time for a few years but with only 21 months remaining on Warranty... this aint gonna happen.

Like others, i just cant believe that a company as big as BMW with a reputation for quality cars cannot or will not fix this issue once and for all.

Regards, SPECKY......have a nice day peeps.

Old 01-31-2008, 12:33 AM
minicobra1
2nd Gear
Email www.motoringfile.com, I've tried to get them to post this issue up and look into it, but they have not responded. I think we need to bring this issue into the spotlight, the more people who are aware of this, the better chance Mini will make it a top priority to solve the problem. There is clearly a problem, it's by no means normal. I'm concerned that a lot of people will have engines that prematurely wear out or break down, probably just after the warranty expires. If it's an oil issue, then there is definitely premature wear happening.
Anyone here write a letter to Mini corporate? what was the response?

Old 01-31-2008, 12:36 AM
SPECKY
1st Gear
I've sent an e-mail neumerous times to Mini uk and got JACK back

Old 01-31-2008, 12:52 AM
minicobra1
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by SPECKY
I've sent an e-mail neumerous times to Mini uk and got JACK back

That sucks

There has got to be some sort of corporate customer service or complaints dept that we could all send a letter too. Maybe get the name of the VP of consumer products or customer affairs, write him a letter and send a petition with everyones name on it who has experienced this problem.

Old 01-31-2008, 05:06 AM
korby
6th Gear
Ok, Here goes. My MCS has this NASTY RATTLE, and i'm on Mini2 as Specky 1. Think mine was the first to have a new engine back in october last year. Before the new unit was fitted it had everything done to the old one and NOTHING fixes this problem. I've been given alsorts of excuses by my dealer but top and bottom of it is this

Personally i'm loosing faith now and feel like getting shut of it, but i've got far too much in mods on the car that cant be transfered to another mini.

I'm currently in contact with Mini UK about the whole disgusting situation because my new engine is just like a tractor and i ran it in to the letter as owners manual describes. I wanted so much to keep my mini this time for a few years but with only 21 months remaining on Warranty... this aint gonna happen.

Like others, i just cant believe that a company as big as BMW with a reputation for quality cars cannot or will not fix this issue once and for all.

Regards, SPECKY......have a nice day peeps.
Hey Specky I've been following your problems an mini2 for months welcome to NAM .

Old 01-31-2008, 05:20 AM
SPECKY
1st Gear
Yo korby, nice to be here. Like the site V much.
Yeah shame about mi probs cos mi mini is the dogs danglies. LOVE IT. Thing is, if i were to get shut of it, there's nowt out there that floats my boat apart from Range rover sport, mustang shelby and trucks. But Mini.Boo wont let me have any of em.

Old 01-31-2008, 10:28 PM
msh441
6th Gear
I've been given alsorts of excuses by my dealer but top and bottom of it is this
Greetings Specky! Welcome to NAM!!!

I would have to disagee that MINI doesn't care about diagnosing and fixing this issue. IMO, I think MINI are pooping their pants, as they seem to be truely stumped by this one. Some dealers however, do the one-start "we don't hear anything", evaluation. Add to that the communication between the dealers, regional techs (PUMA reps), MINIUSA and MINI doesn't seem to be flowing as efficiently as one might hope. It's a mess right now.

Like most here, I also believe the relationship between the cold-start programmin in the ECU, oil pump and specific oil used will be found to be the basis for this issue... but we'll see.

Like you, I'm getting a new engine this week and my old head & block are going back to MINI for evaluation. I'm aware (based on your, and other experiences on MINI2) that this is a temporary fix and will only serve to buy time until a permanant fix is found. The one thing that terrifies me is the statement from MINI passed on by a few owners that "its normal", "an acceptable trait of this engine" and "no damage is occurring" (despite a lack of lubrication in a running engine... yeah, right).

It's hard to stay positive and maintain faith in the car. I've been without mine for over a month now and probably won't have it back for a couple weeks. Add to the fact that once I get it back, it's only a matter of time before it begins all over again. If the dealer would buy it back for the cost of the car and the JCW kit, with the agreement that the money would go towards a new 135i... hmmm, hard choice... despite the fact that I waited three years for the MINI and had the idea of keeping it for the long-term.

I guess it's what I get for buying a 1st model-year car... but who are we fooling: there are no changes to the 2008 engine, so owners-to-be will likley be in the same boat sooner or later. Because of this I would think MINI wants to get this sorted quick!

Originally Posted by minicobra1
Email www.motoringfile.com, I've tried to get them to post this issue up and look into it, but they have not responded.
Gabe is aware of the issue.

I'm assuming they haven't posted anything yet as I'm sure they 1) are waiting for some specific diagnosis (just like everyone else)... 2) are hoping for a fix, soon... and 3) don't want to create undue panic in owners who are not yet experiencing this issue. I mean, it's a rattly-sounding engine even when it's running right. You'll have everyone rusing in to the dealers whether they're experiencing this issue or not.

Last edited by msh441; 01-31-2008 at 10:31 PM.
Old 02-01-2008, 01:30 AM
SPECKY
1st Gear
Hey, msh441 thanks for the welcome.
I agree with you i suppose. I'm just very very frustrated as, like you, i want to keep Sulley for quite some time. After 26 years of motoring and some 16 cars i just find it hard to believe that i've gone backwards as regards engine quality and reliability! God forbid what costs i would incur outside warranty with my mini if i kept it that long. All i really want is some fix, answers and reasurance from MINI that this Will be solved and i'll be happy!
But sadly I, you and what seems like hundreds of others now, are not getting this. Just off to fone Mini UK Customer services now, this is my daily ritual, followed by a supporting e-mail.
SPECKSTER

Old 02-01-2008, 12:07 PM
johned206
2nd Gear
I have 20,000 miles on my 2007 MCS. I have experienced the rattle five times. I drive it every day. I have been unable to figure out any pattern that would connect with it's occurrence. Since November we have experienced many sub-zero days here in the mountains. In December I installed an oilpan heater and I hook it up every night. Yesterday I got the rattle. It wasn't any colder than it's been, my oil is topped up with the correct type and grade, I had driven the car the previous day, and it's parked on the level. I go in for my first service in 3000 miles and I'll discuss this with the service manager, although it doesn't look like much can be effectively done at this point. I live 200 miles from the dealer and I can't be dropping the car off every week for some experimental, predictably ineffective solution. My two cents.

Old 02-01-2008, 12:40 PM
SPECKY
1st Gear
OMG !!!! 200 miles from dealer !!!!!! Maybe they'll do home visits ??? LMAO

Quick Reply: Cold start chatter