Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

I think my hood scoop is melting...

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 06:25 AM
rwwilsonjr
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NJP
My Nov 2007 Mini had the melting scoop ( and was vented) & was replaced in Dec 2008. It is now June 2009 & it is still melting AND this is even after I ALWAYS pop the bonnet when I get home to let the heat escape. When I go back in Dec 2009, I will get another scoop, #3.
My new (heavier duty?) scoop is vented (every other grid is open all the way across the scoop grill). This is a different pattern than the one it replaced which was also vented. I've started popping the hood too. Isn't that a b..tch? I might just spring for the heat-shield from M7.

Old 06-30-2009, 09:04 AM
Ken G.
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MiniMitchJCW
`09 JCW and just noticed the sagging scoop issue... hood & Scoop were still too hot to leave your hand on them..."burnt" smell after driving it...Buzzing when I decelerated @ about 4K rpms. The burnt smell stopped but the buzzing sound comming from under the hood, center...

...Dealer is 200 miles away but will schedule a visit. Is my JCW a lemon? Even if they fix the scoop, all that heat has got to take a toll on the paint....?

Getting a little concerned.....

Mitch
I'd be willing to bet that the buzzing sound is connected to the scoop; there have been reports (and I saw this in my own scoop) that if the scoop is forced into shape by it's rear-center mounting bolt, that stress causes the warping. If the scoop is placed correctly and there's no stress in it, when it get hot it will just sit there, rather than changing shape. Your scoop might have changed shape enough that a part of it is making the buzz.

On my own car, the shop left the center rear of my replacement scoop standing slightly above the top of the bonnet. It looks a little like it's warped in reverse, but the scoop hasn't changed shape after 7 months and through the first several hot days here.

Replacing the scoop is an overnight job if it needs to be painted, or just several minutes if you go with an unpainted carbon fiber scoop. My dealer replaced mine without any fuss at all.

Don't worry about paint discoloration. There have been no reports of that happening and there isn't enough heat to do that.

Burning smells are common to new cars. There are a lot of preservatives and oils on the engine when it's new, so transitory burning smells happen all the time.

Talking about oils, watch for preservative leaking out of the bonnet onto the plastic wheel arches; it's harmless as long as you clean it up quickly, keep a rag in the car.

In short, I think your car is a long way from being a lemon; it takes a lot more than a buzzing noise and a warped trim piece to do that. Don't let all the "doom and gloom" talk here make you worry too much about your car, either. People love to complain about what's wrong, but typically don't talk as much about what's going right.

Old 06-30-2009, 10:11 AM
MiniMitchJCW
1st Gear
Originally Posted by NJP
My Nov 2007 Mini had the melting scoop ( and was vented) & was replaced in Dec 2008. It is now June 2009 & it is still melting AND this is even after I ALWAYS pop the bonnet when I get home to let the heat escape. When I go back in Dec 2009, I will get another scoop, #3.
You are far more diligent than I am….opening the bonnet each time you get home. Other posts have indicated an improved scoop is available but I think the problem would be better solved by improving the heat shield for the turbo. I am concerned that even with a thicker, higher heat withstanding scoop, excessive heat on the bonnet will eventually take its toll on the paint.
I have a 3 month old JCW with 4K miles and my list of issues to cover with the dealer continues to grow. I am hoping these issues can be resolved easily and the list stops growing. I wonder how many other owners are having an inordinate amount of problems with the `09 JCW?
Thanks for your post….and good luck with your scoop problem.

Old 06-30-2009, 10:36 AM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Ken G.
People love to complain about what's wrong, but typically don't talk as much about what's going right.
You're absolutely right, and our new friends need to be reminded of that! So, let me declare here and now, that I LOVE the CR/W S that I picked up on 2/21/07--one of the first R56s in this country. We're now at about 38,000 miles, and we've had very little to worry about, in spite of the usual admonition to wait for a new model's bugs to be fixed.

One of the fun parts of MINIdom is getting active in clubs, and I'm an officer in 2. We have a "troubleshooting" portion of the larger club's meeting, and it covers all years of all models, but it's no more than a few minutes long.

Go Motoring--lay out a route for your club and buddies, and see how much fun you have! This was taken on one we ran last Saturday--that's mine, leading--and it was taken from a one-week-old JCW. Brand new MINIacs, too, and they had a great time, just playing. It was 101° that day!

Old 06-30-2009, 11:08 AM
sikamini
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
.............................[edit]........
I have a 3 month old JCW with 4K miles and my list of issues to cover with the dealer continues to grow. I am hoping these issues can be resolved easily and the list stops growing. I wonder how many other owners are having an inordinate amount of problems with the `09 JCW?
Thanks for your post….and good luck with your scoop problem.
Cars do have quirks.....what kind of problems are you having? My 2009 JCW is trouble free so far and driven daily, the biggest problem I have is the loose nut behind the wheel. However, I do expect things to pop up, and I'm curious as to the nature of your list since your JCW is new.

Old 06-30-2009, 11:09 AM
MiniMitchJCW
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Ken G.
In short, I think your car is a long way from being a lemon; it takes a lot more than a buzzing noise and a warped trim piece to do that. Don't let all the "doom and gloom" talk here make you worry too much about your car, either. People love to complain about what's wrong, but typically don't talk as much about what's going right.
I appreciate your post and the information regarding the various issues. I’m pretty sure I don’t have a lemon but I was a little concerned about the little things that seem unusual. The stereo is supposed to remember various settings based on the key that’s being used and as I am the only person that drives the MINI, I use the same key. Seems like 50% of the time. I have to deselect the radio and tell it to use the USB drive. The Bluetooth keeps dropping the iPhone or won’t connect at all. I attribute these to possible issues with the thumb drive and maybe the new software upgrade on the phone.

None of these issues are major. What is major is how this little car drives….it’s phenomenal! I live at 5,000 ft and drive over the mountains almost every weekend (that’s what I bought the car for) and it takes everything I throw at it and just keeps going. I admit I drive it “aggressively”. That said, hard driving, climbing up and down mountains, I am smiling anytime I’m behind the wheel and at the gas pump.

It’s a blast…..

Old 06-30-2009, 11:15 AM
sikamini
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Deb, that looks familiar.....
Mini just enjoy...these babies are made to motor!

Old 06-30-2009, 12:04 PM
old81
M6
First off I will say I have an 07 MCSa, mildly modded.

Way to much worry, enjoy your car, drive it like you want. Get the little things fixed, if they nag at you.

I drive aggressively, my dealer understands why we drive MINIs. I'm lucky I guess.

Here are a few folks enjoying a safe lapping day this past weekend. It was fun.

Don Edit: btw, my hood scoop has a little dip from the melting syndrome, no big deal a good reason to get the CF hood scoop.

Old 06-30-2009, 01:51 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sikamini
Deb, that looks familiar.....
Mini just enjoy...these babies are made to motor!
It should, tailgunner! (Boy, do you read ALL threads?)

old81--was that at a drive or an autocross?

MiniMitch--J.D. Powers has a new-car automotive survey that's supposed to measure the number of post delivery glitches, major and minor. I've filled it out on a few cars, and then looked at the "ratings" the survey generates. In my own personal experience, the ones that ranked "best" were the WORST in actual life, and the ones that would be thought of as bad cars, based on the survey, actually turned out to be both the best and the "funnest" as the months went on. Frankly, I didn't even fill it out for the MINI. Yep, I had a few bugs. Nope, they didn't amount to a hill of beans. And a real YEPPERS, I'm enjoying this car!

Zippeee!'s not a refrigerator.

Old 06-30-2009, 02:19 PM
MiniMitchJCW
1st Gear
Originally Posted by daffodildeb
MiniMitch--J.D. Powers has a new-car automotive survey that's supposed to measure the number of post delivery glitches, major and minor. I've filled it out on a few cars, and then looked at the "ratings" the survey generates. In my own personal experience, the ones that ranked "best" were the WORST in actual life, and the ones that would be thought of as bad cars, based on the survey, actually turned out to be both the best and the "funnest" as the months went on. Frankly, I didn't even fill it out for the MINI. Yep, I had a few bugs. Nope, they didn't amount to a hill of beans. And a real YEPPERS, I'm enjoying this car!

Daffodildeb-hopefully I’m not giving the impression that I don’t like my MINI. To the contrary, I love my street legal go-kart! I bought it as a play toy, week-end road trip machine and it continues to deliver all of the excitement I had hoped for. The hood scoop melting issue just got me concerned. I have been working on or building cars for more years than I care to admit and one thing I have learned during that time is….if it’s mechanical, it’s going to break. Especially if you drive like I do!
Anybody got any R113’s for sale?

Old 06-30-2009, 07:33 PM
rwwilsonjr
3rd Gear
I have been working on or building cars for more years than I care to admit and one thing I have learned during that time is….if it’s mechanical, it’s going to break. Especially if you drive like I do!
Anybody got any R113’s for sale?

That's a good point...and when you really think about it, with all the moving parts, computers etc. in an automobile...and the abuse they take, it's kind of remarkable that they hold up as well as they do. We're a demanding lot.

I was also concerned with my hood scoop warping but I finally came to grip with the fact and tried not to worry about it (nobody but me ever noticed it). The dealer changed out and so far is fine. We will see what this hot summer brings.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:18 PM
old81
M6
Originally Posted by daffodildeb
It should, tailgunner! (Boy, do you read ALL threads?)

old81--was that at a drive or an autocross?

clip

And a real YEPPERS, I'm enjoying this car!

Yes, the MINI is not a refrigerator. Made to be driving, not store food.

As for the MINIs, they were gridded for some fast laps at High Plains Raceway east of Denver about 60 miles.

New track, fast track and a whole pot full of fun, 2.5 miles with 14 turns.

We had 12 MINIs out with MINI5280 and a few sprinkled throughout the spectator/pit area who by end of day were asking about joining the local club.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:50 PM
mdrums
2nd Gear
Does the M7 heat sheild really work?

How many of you on this forum use the M7 heat shield?