Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Yellow engine light - full engine power no longer available

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 12:33 AM
NeO-AZN
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Our 2007 MC S automatic is experiencing exactly what has been described here. The fiance drives the vehicle for short distances (5km...to and from work). The car has only been driven around 6000 km. The vehicle only acts up during the winter. We live in Alberta, Canada (Edmonton) where it gets fairly frigid. When the car can be started in the winter, the car will often go limp and the vehicle will be limited to 20km/hr. Has anyone else experienced the vehicle going limp, in the middle of driving at normal speeds (eg) drive at say 60km/hr...then all of a sudden CEL and limp at 20km/hr. This is definitely a safety concern in my opinion.

Today we experienced -30C (-22F). The MCSa would not start. The car would turn, and the battery seemed strong. In the few attempts to start the vehicle, we got the CEL. The car needed to be towed to the dealer for the second time this week. When we were in the dealership there were at least another 6 MCS being worked on for the same reason. What's annoying is that they are knowingly giving the car back, without actually fixing anything. Arguably I could get the car towed to a heated parking lot, and that would achieve the same thing (probably saving me time in the long run). In over a year, its rather sad the Mini engineers have yet to resolve this issue.

Would a block heat/oil pan heater actually help in this instance, or is this a function of the frozen condensation in the throttle body valve? Has anybody else had success with the "catch can" mod that Toshio mentioned? How about the replacement parts noted by Grodenglaive:
"51-71-8-265-468 cover, right
11-72-7-508-270 pressure hose assembly (throttle hoses)"

Good luck to everyone!

Old 01-04-2009, 08:03 AM
ekg
1st Gear
supposed fix for frozen throttle issue

I just got my car back after being at the dealership for 15 days (not a fan of Motorwerks BMW in MN after this). The supposed fix from Mini for the frozen throttle was a replacement intake manifold. I've only had the car for a day so I'm not sure if their fix has worked or not. Seems like the issue has to build up after a few days of driving. It is -2F today, maybe I should drive down the road and back.

Old 01-04-2009, 10:55 AM
sp_clark
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Me too...

What EKG reports is what I was also told the last time I picked up my '07 S - the day after Christmas - after the recurring cold-start problem put it into the shop for the sixth or seventh time.

Apparently the original intake manifold design is faulty to the point where condensation collects & then can freeze. Why this affects throttle body - which I'd have to believe is up-stream? - an engineer would have to explain to me. The SA told me they'd seen one (1) redesigned intake manifold so far (after almost a year of these reports?) and that I'd be getting one too once they'd worked their way through the list of cars needing them.

I was also told that if the problem reoccurs - which I'm confident it shall - I need only allow the engine to warm up for awhile, then shut it down & leave it alone for 15 to 20 minutes, then try a re-start. The engine heat should have by then melted the ice causing the problem, after which it "should" run normally, though the CEL may be on at that point.

If (when?) it happens again I may just drive to the nearest Subaru dealership & look into trading for a Forester...

Old 01-04-2009, 10:56 AM
NeO-AZN
1st Gear
ekg that sounds optimistic. would you happen to have the official part number for the intake manifold? please keep us posted on this fix.

regards

Old 01-04-2009, 11:01 AM
ekg
1st Gear
Originally Posted by NeO-AZN
ekg that sounds optimistic. would you happen to have the official part number for the intake manifold? please keep us posted on this fix.

regards
Here's what my statement says:

FP-Number
11-61-7-595-078 Intake Manifold

I think it's great that there's numerous reports of this issue, leaving Mini owner's stranded limping their cars down the road at 10mph and they recall the stupid tail pipe.

Old 01-04-2009, 11:20 AM
NeO-AZN
1st Gear
Thanks a bunch for your prompt response. I was wondering though, has anyone ever considered putting in an after market part? I haven't read about many people complaining with after market parts. In any case, I saw this...and for a few hundred bucks...it might be worth getting if it solves this stupid problem...(assuming it is the air intake).

http://www.altaperformance.com/produ...-Intake-System

Thanks again...and good luck to everyone.

Old 01-04-2009, 04:44 PM
Toshio
1st Gear
Toshio responds year two CEL: also Alta intake

Well I can report that the catch can "fix"of last year did not work in mid -Dec when we had our first cold snap. The SA at Motorwerks told me that they have 50 cars in during that time, mostly 2008 vintage. Also that the manufacturer of the current "fix" went out of business.

As to the Alta intake, I've had installed for both last year and this years adventures, so that's not the ticket.

I did install temp/humd. data logger under the hood and it's interesting to note how long the under hood temps stay about freezing after shut down. i Tthink this is why it's taking so long to get a permanent fix going.

As for me, if I don't get a "clean"start I'l ususally just limp down the road about a mile in the stumble mode to get some heat in the engine, then restart with a fairly aggressive throttle position (kind of like clearing a carburated car of flooding) and that will usually allow the throttle to break the ice chunk out. Runs normally after that.

I have never had it happen during operation, only at start-up.

Old 01-05-2009, 12:00 AM
NeO-AZN
1st Gear
Hi Toshio,

Sorry...but did you happen to get the fix EKG noted?
"FP-Number 11-61-7-595-078 Intake Manifold"
Or is that the fix you're talking about where the manufacturer went out of business?

Since I we have the MCSa towed to the dealership, I intend to get all the noted parts in this thread installed to see if it makes a difference. That way...at least we tried. It's better than thawing it out and just giving it back...and always wondering whether the revised part would make the difference.

I'm actually surprised, the after market companies don't tackle this issue, as I'm sure they'd do well if they found a solution to this design flaw.

Thanks for the heads up regarding the after market intake Toshio. Keeping the fingers crossed... that we get something sooner than later.

Regards

Old 01-05-2009, 08:12 AM
Toshio
1st Gear
No I did not get the intake manifold, and I'm not sure which "repair" part was being made by the manufacturer that went out of business. Went I saw the SA for a "new" fix, he said they were out of "repair" parts and that when the problem occurs again I should call ahead about scheduling the fix. (Last year was a couple weeks, but I did have a MINI loaner). I'm inclined to wait as long as possible for the fix to benefit from the knowledge gained from others woes, but I don't want to limp along for a month either. -21 F this morning, but the home garage hasn't cooled to that level yet. Perhaps after work I'll see the issue again as the MINI sits outside. I like the idea of a new throttle body as it seems it might actually work - I've also though about a little heater around it like the washer jets.

Old 01-05-2009, 08:15 AM
ekg
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Toshio
I like the idea of a new throttle body as it seems it might actually work - I've also though about a little heater around it like the washer jets.
Seems to me this has to be a major flaw, someone dropped the ball. I have plenty of other vehicles with no special heaters around the throttle body that start just fine, even after sitting in a snowbank for a year. I don't think I've heard of any BMWs in for this issue, so why the Mini? It's quite frustrating.

Old 01-05-2009, 01:11 PM
NeO-AZN
1st Gear
Hi there,

ALTA2 was gracious enough to PM me back on my question. Below is his response. For those more mechanically inclined than myself, please feel free to respond:

"I have never heard of that, but it makes sense why it happens. Moisture in the intake and engine build up and since the TB is the lowest point there it would build up and freeze when really cold. The TB has coolant running through it to keep it from freezing while driving. But i have no idea why it would do that on a stock car.

I would love to say our intake will solve problem, but it will not. Neither will the other part. It could be an issue with the PCV or the other crank case vent not working well. Did you check to see if the crank case vent hose leaks or is kinked?"
Regards

Old 01-08-2009, 08:46 AM
redevil
2nd Gear
same issue here

It has happened twice. First time weather wasn't too cold, second time weather was around -25 C. Took it to the dealer the second time as the CEL stayed on. They told me the same thing about the moisture freezing in the throttle housing.
It was looked at and cleaned/dried in the 3rd week of December at the dealer, it hasn't happened since (knock on wood). It has been cold as well and the car has sat a few days at a time.

Only thing that I'm trying to do differently is not to drive it short distances as I have a feeling it will cause it again.

Is there any MINI employees (US and/or Canada) that read this board who can give us owners an insight to fix if any might be in the works.

Old 01-08-2009, 05:41 PM
redevil
2nd Gear
Nevermind it happened again to my wife. It was fine in the morning then when she got off work it acted up. Now the CEL is on. This is the 3rd time since we got it and it is only 2 months old.

Everytime this has happened I am almost sure that the weather was the same.
So when the car is parked after being driven and warmed up the weather has been cold and windy therefore, causing the car to cool down very fast and creating the moisture that freezes in the throttle housing.

Hope to find a fix soooon!!!

Last edited by redevil; 01-08-2009 at 05:47 PM.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:24 AM
oldsbear
6th Gear
Originally Posted by redevil
Nevermind it happened again to my wife. It was fine in the morning then when she got off work it acted up. Now the CEL is on. This is the 3rd time since we got it and it is only 2 months old.

Everytime this has happened I am almost sure that the weather was the same.
So when the car is parked after being driven and warmed up the weather has been cold and windy therefore, causing the car to cool down very fast and creating the moisture that freezes in the throttle housing.

Hope to find a fix soooon!!!
Last winter at about 0 F I had the warning light, cycling of rpm, low power, and a backfire. They replaced the throttle actuator valve (or some such).

This winter at about 6 F it happened again. They looked at the symptoms, the previous occurrence, and my description of the problem, and MINI authorized a redesigned intake manifold, which, I assume, doesn't allow moisture to collect and freeze.

We will see in the next few days, as the temperatures plunge again.

Old 01-09-2009, 05:46 AM
ekg
1st Gear
Originally Posted by oldsbear
We will see in the next few days, as the temperatures plunge again.
I've had the same fix now for I think a week. Granted it took them 15 days to finish my car (not a fan of Motorwerks). So far no indication that the issue is still there. But I won't believe it's fixed for a while yet. Temps have been up and down from negative to positive 30 so it's had a bit of an opportunity to act up. So far so good.

Old 01-09-2009, 06:26 AM
redevil
2nd Gear
^^I'll be calling Mini Canada to see if I can get this fix for my Mini.

Anyone else have this fix done, what has your experience been after the fix?

Update from last evening: The car started fine this morning with no CEL left from last evening. Wife drove it to work just fine, so hope that it doesn't light up or hesitate later this evening when she gets off work.

Last edited by redevil; 01-09-2009 at 06:31 AM.
Old 01-09-2009, 06:43 AM
Toshio
1st Gear
Those of you that get the CEL, if it is the throttle body ice issue, the CEL will clear after a number of "normal" starts but remain in the engine computer for future diagnosis so it "may" not be necessary to rush over to the dealer right away. Since this seems to take days and days to repair, it "may" make sense to schedule the fix when it is convenient and the service department can deal with it. Talk to your SA.

Old 01-09-2009, 06:45 AM
ekg
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Toshio
Those of you that get the CEL, if it is the throttle body ice issue, the CEL will clear after a number of "normal" starts but remain in the engine computer for future diagnosis so it "may" not be necessary to rush over to the dealer right away. Since this seems to take days and days to repair, it "may" make sense to schedule the fix when it is convenient and the service department can deal with it. Talk to your SA.
True. However they won't take your appointment until you have that issue in your car's computer. Even if you've already had the car in for the same issue, if they've cleared the codes then you have to wait for it to happen again. At least that's what the crappy dealership I work with said.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:36 AM
redevil
2nd Gear
Just got off the phone with Mini Customer Service...seems like they don't really know what issue I was talking about?? (...they have to look into in)

I also called the dealer to let them know it was the 3rd time it has happened. They gave me the same story to let it warm up for 10-15 min (are they going to pay for my additional gas consumption?)...no fix yet from Mini.

Has anyone been able to get a rental covered from their dealer in Canada when they have your Mini? How about in the US?

I just can't see why Mini Canada says it is the dealers option to get me a rental when they are only the dealer for servicing. Mini Canada/US not the dealer should own up to this and accomodate us for not being able to use the car that we have paid for

Hope that it is better for the folks in the US.

sorry for the rant, my car is only 2 months old

Old 01-09-2009, 11:26 AM
oldsbear
6th Gear
Originally Posted by redevil
Has anyone been able to get a rental covered from their dealer in Canada when they have your Mini? How about in the US?
MINI of St. Louis (250 miles from me) arranged for a flatbed to pick up and return my car, and sent me a rental, once they diagnosed the problem. I couldn't be happier with Dave Joseph and the crew down there. Great service

Old 01-09-2009, 12:18 PM
carsncars
4th Gear
Is this affecting both the MC S and the JustaCooper?

Old 01-09-2009, 04:38 PM
redevil
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by carsncars
Is this affecting both the MC S and the JustaCooper?
I thinks from the sounds of it just the MCS.

Old 01-09-2009, 04:46 PM
ekg
1st Gear
Well it might just be an anomaly so I'm waiting to see but after sitting out at work in about 15F all day, the car flashed the yellow transmission light when I started it up to go home. Rev'ed once and then went back to normal and the light went out.

So the new manifold may have not done it's job. We'll see if it happens again or goes back to the full fledged issue. Not looking forward to dealing with this especially as my car approaches the end of its warranty.

Old 01-10-2009, 01:17 AM
NeO-AZN
1st Gear
Update

For reference purposes, I am putting all the parts that have been replaced in one section. Thanks to all those who have contributed thus far. Hopefully, through an iterative process, a solution will be determined.

Replacement parts noted by Grodenglaive:
"51-71-8-265-468 cover, right
11-72-7-508-270 pressure hose assembly (throttle hoses)"

Replacement part noted by EKG:
"FP-Number 11-61-7-595-078 Intake Manifold"
Good luck to everyone!
Replacement part noted by Bishamon:
"13-54-7-528-179 Replaced faulty throttle valve"[/QUOTE]

nesss from a similar thread started by Toshio appears to be experimenting with unconventional methods:
"I have started to look elsewhere for a solution. At the moment, I am trying removing the cold air intake snorkel, so that it now draws air from directly off of the engine instead of drawing cold air directly from outside. Unfortunately, it warmed up before we had a chance to adequately test it. I am hoping that it will improve the situation somewhat. I am also using a small space heater with a fan, to heat up the front of the car for a couple of hours before I have to go anywhere when the temps. fall below -20 C. It seems to help, except when the out door temps got to -35 plus a severe wind chill... just idling for 10 to 15mins outside was enough to start the problems again."

Old 01-10-2009, 01:39 AM
NeO-AZN
1st Gear
Service Departments.....

Redevil, our MCSa is in Edmonton. Whenever we have problems, we call the 24 hr roadside assistance, and have the vehicle towed via flatbed to the dealership. We all paid for this service, so might as well use it. We towed the vehicle 3 times in a span of 1.5 weeks. The frequency the car was at the service department, also provided us adequate justification for a rental vehicle as well (which they obliged). She took the rental for a day, but because they do not mandate the use of winter tires here in Alberta, the vehicle had limited traction on the road. We promptly returned the rental, and requested they pay for Taxi services to commute to/from work (which actually turns out cheaper for them anyways).

However, the Edmonton service department is just as much at a loss with regards to this problem. I've tried to convey my findings from various forums to them, but they claim to be on top of it. When requested to replace the parts that have been noted in the forum, they said they won't do so unless we choose to pay for it. I would assume the warranty should cover it. The vehicle has had this problem for 1.5 years, and still no fix...it appears those with 2009 MCS have been experiencing this problem as well. How can Mini North America (esp Canada) have the audacity to promote this vehicle as a capable winter vehicle? It can't even start when the temperature falls much below -24C. How can they knowingly selling this flawed vehicle + winter accessories to unsuspecting consumers.

That said...I'm keeping my fingers crossed with regards to a fix....there were so many other MCS in the shop when were last there.

Good luck to all

Quick Reply: Yellow engine light - full engine power no longer available