Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Yellow engine light - full engine power no longer available

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 08:58 AM
grodenglaive
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just had this happen to me this morning for the second time!
It was the same as what happened in December. A cold day -20°C, followed by a warmer (humid) day with snow. Car starts just fine, then the engine light comes on and the revs go up and down like a yo-yo. Completely undriveable.
They told me the same thing - condensation in the throttle valve. I thought they had fixed it the first time, but I guess all they did was dry it out and put it back together again. They better get it right this time, what good is a car that doesn't run when it snows? Now that I see it is happenning to many others I will press them for a permanent fix.

Old 02-13-2008, 10:14 AM
ZevWolf
Neutral
Catch Can

grodenglaive,

You're describing exactly what I experienced. My dealer got the same parts and same instructions from MINI that Toshio's dealer did, or at least, I think they did. Looking at the engine compartment, I see a catch can sitting near the exhaust manifold, just like Toshio described.

I picked my car up on Saturday when it was above freezing, and then our weather went into the deep freeze. So far, no problems. The car starts every time, no more of that revving. I'm hoping this is really the fix. So far, it's looking good.

Old 02-13-2008, 10:14 AM
sp_clark
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My R56 lit up it's yellow-outlined engine idiot light yesterday when I left work in the evening. No other symptoms, no weak engine performance, no weird behavior. Stayed on all the way home (46 miles), still lit up this morning when I left for work. Still no decreased performance.

It's been pretty cold here (Chicago) for several days, nowhere near freezing so I'm at a loss how condensation could have formed. I did fill the washer fluid reservoir yesterday, spilling more than I typically do, so I'm wondering if some of the spillage may have worked itself into some electrical place where it's causing weird stuff in the circuitry. Juts a hunch as the current light episode isn't too similar to the previous two or three.

Old 02-13-2008, 10:38 AM
tony1athome
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by sp_clark
It's been pretty cold here (Chicago) for several days, nowhere near freezing so I'm at a loss how condensation could have formed.
FWIW, condensation will start to collect as soon as temps drop below the dew point. Typically that's well above freezing.

Old 02-13-2008, 11:42 AM
torobud
4th Gear
Sorry - I have been gone for two weeks on work and no time to update everyone on my car...

I received my car back about two weeks ago and the serviceman was very honest about the problem - condensation on the throttle valve causing it to stick and make the computer go crazy - he told me that cars doing it are ONLY second gen and that milage doesn't even matter (brand new to a year old) as they have already had a few doing the same thing while I was in...

Here is what they were saying was the commonalities between cars:
Very short commutes/drives: 5 miles or less (Mine is 5 miles)
Very cold temps: less than 5 degrees F roughly

He reiterated Germany's response was to drive longer or let the car fully warm up to which I responded sure... as soon as there is a temp gauge so that I know when it is warmed up...

At that time there was no solution from MINI other than this...

Old 02-13-2008, 01:01 PM
Bishamon
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by torobud
I received my car back about two weeks ago and the serviceman was very honest about the problem - condensation on the throttle valve causing it to stick and make the computer go crazy - he told me that cars doing it are ONLY second gen and that milage doesn't even matter (brand new to a year old) as they have already had a few doing the same thing while I was in...

He reiterated Germany's response was to drive longer or let the car fully warm up to which I responded sure... as soon as there is a temp gauge so that I know when it is warmed up...
They replaced my throttle valve, and the problem hasn't occurred since (though it hasn't been driven much since I received the car back). While the temperature was very cold on the day of the 'incident', my drive in to work was/is quite a bit longer than 5 miles... I'm uncertain of the distance, but the drive is around 20 minutes, 15 of which are on the highway at 2500-3000rpm, not to mention on that particular morning I had warmed up the car for a few minutes before leaving. I used to live a LOT closer to work. I'm sorry, but I don't plan on moving out of the city just so I can commute in my Mini without having a problem.

Old 02-13-2008, 03:09 PM
ZevWolf
Neutral
Originally Posted by torobud
Sorry - I have been gone for two weeks on work and no time to update everyone on my car...

At that time there was no solution from MINI other than this...
Torobud,

That's the same story I got from the dealership in Milwaukee after the first incident with my car. I drive 7.5 miles each way to work, stop and go. It takes roughly 25 minutes to get there. I tried the "drive more" suggestion, after they cleared the throttle of ice/condensation, along with another novel suggestion they gave me (remove the oil filler cap for a few minutes after the car is parked to vent the moisture). Two days later, the problem resurfaced again. Before I could get it back to the dealership, the car started behaving a little better, to the point where I had sp_clark's current situation, yellow light on, no discernible power loss.

Disconcerting, to say the least. But after they installed the catch can, I've been pretty lucky. Could be coincidence, for all I know. But the temps have cycled through the entire range where I was having problems before. (And despite MINI's official story, I experienced problems on days when the temperature was around 20F, in addition to subzero weather.) Knock on wood my car keeps behaving.

Only thing I've noticed since the catch can was installed is a dip in fuel economy.

Old 02-13-2008, 04:04 PM
grodenglaive
2nd Gear
The car started right up when I got home from work today and the warning light went out. runs perfect. I'm still taking it to the dealer tomorrow though and convice them to install a catch can.
Thanks for the info Zev
btw my drive to work is 30 miles each way, so short trips was not a factor for me.

Old 02-14-2008, 07:32 AM
sp_clark
3rd Gear
Sorry...

Originally Posted by tony1athome
FWIW, condensation will start to collect as soon as temps drop below the dew point. Typically that's well above freezing.
I should have said "... hasn't approached freezing...." It's been well below 32F here for some days now, maybe today we'll get up to that temp.

The lamp went out yesterday after having been on for a couple of days, but while it was on I had no engine performance problems. I'm still wondering if spilled washer fluid might have been a factor; there looks to be a fusebox or other Significant Electrical Component immediately adjacent to the washer fluid bottle. Need a funnel to avoid spilling Any on a windy day....

Old 02-14-2008, 11:17 AM
torobud
4th Gear
hmmmm seems like the problem might be a bit larger than my tech lead me to believe... longer drives and warmer temps people are still having problems...

Damn you people in warmer climates!!!

Screw you winter - bring on spring!!!

Old 02-14-2008, 01:04 PM
grodenglaive
2nd Gear
Hi,
I just got my car back - confirmed water in throttle valve again.
Dealer performed LOF as per PUMA case (watever LOF is). They dried out the throttle valve and coated it with super lube (temporary fix). They also replaced the cylinder head cover and gasket .

Parts are on order for what they say will be a permanent fix:
51-71-8-265-468 cover, right
11-72-7-508-270 pressure hose assembly (throttle hoses)

They told me I was the 8th person at this dealer to have this problem. It is a flaw in the 2007 MCS, which the new parts should fix.

Old 02-19-2008, 08:18 AM
talus
1st Gear
Just got a 08 MCS, three days ago. Temp this morning was 0 degrees. I had the same problem. I called the dealership and they said they knew of the problem and had a fix available, but as long as the engine will run ok it shouldn't be a problem till I can get it in. That's about a week away. So hopefully all the advice I've read on here will get me by till then.

Old 03-03-2008, 11:48 AM
torobud
4th Gear
Originally Posted by grodenglaive
Hi,
Dealer performed LOF as per PUMA case (watever LOF is). They dried out the throttle valve and coated it with super lube (temporary fix). They also replaced the cylinder head cover and gasket .

They told me I was the 8th person at this dealer to have this problem. It is a flaw in the 2007 MCS, which the new parts should fix.
Mine is going in on Saturday related to these parts numbers/fixes...

At least it seems as though MINI has fashioned a response quickly to this issue

Old 05-25-2008, 11:44 AM
Goodwood
3rd Gear
anybody thought of putting a space heater under or near the engine when it's parked in the garage? something that would have an effect similar to using an electric block heater in older diesel engines?

don't do anything dangerous, be sure you have a newer, safer space heater that doesn't have any exposed coils glowing red-hot all night....

just a thought... may not cure the illness but might help treat the symptoms... or something like that

Old 05-25-2008, 11:57 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
Hi,
parts are on order for what they say will be a permanent fix:

Did they happen to say precisely what the "flaw" is? I have to assume something to do with the throttle hoses leads to the water buildup, but did they say? Since most people haven't had that problem could it be there was a bad batch of hoses? I mean we've now been through one winter and some have had it, some not, even in really cold places.

Old 12-22-2008, 09:34 AM
ngorongoro
Neutral
Hi,

This problem is still happening in cold weather areas. My dealer replaced the cover but not the hose assembly after the problem occured in my 2008 MCa.

The dealer stated that the "Permanent Solution" was still not issued by Mini. It is obvious from this thread that the problem has been known to Mini for at least a year.

Old 12-22-2008, 09:38 AM
ekg
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ngorongoro
This problem is still happening in cold weather areas. My dealer replaced the cover but not the hose assembly after the problem occured in my 2008 MCa.

The dealer stated that the "Permanent Solution" was still not issued by Mini. It is obvious from this thread that the problem has been known to Mini for at least a year.
My car is in right now for service on this issue. According to my dealership, they are fixing the cars on a per car basis. In other words, despite how many times you've had your car in with this problem they won't fix it until it happens again. Then they diagnose the car and send the results to Mini who will then possibly approve the fix and *then* send them the part. It sounds like they are replacing the intake, according to the service manager this will eliminate the water build up. I haven't quite figured out how that will happen but we'll see.

My car has been in the shop since Thursday morning.

Old 12-22-2008, 09:57 AM
sp_clark
3rd Gear
I'm waiting to see if my issues have been fully resolved. After nearly two months (in two different dealer shops) to fix the cold start problem that surfaced in late February 2008, I have a new transmission (!),two new ignition coil assemblies, a replacement updated cam/head cover assembly (supposedly featuring improved engine ventilation system to reduce excessive oil vapor recirculation & carbon build-up) and a new fuel pump.

The work described above was done after I took my '07 S into the original dealer mid-March to resolve the cold start issue. I'd mentioned the trans as an afterthought as it'd been getting increasingly sticky to shift; techs reported baulky "helper springs." Once the new trans arrived & got installed (that took nearly three weeks) I got my S back but the cold start issue didn't reappear until October. The 2nd dealership saw it back 3 times & the last was when the head was pulled & the carbon inside was discovered, leading to having the head cleaned up & the updated cam cover thing being fitted. They mounted the new fuel pump at the end as they said they thought the original had died while they were testing it at some point....

UPDATE: After twelve hours outside in a commuter parking lot my MINI S refused to run properly when I started it up to drive home. Yellow half-filled engine warning light came on, engine refused to run past about 3k rpm. After all it's been thru it's back at the dealer shop this morning (12/23) for an evaluation. Will update once I know more details about what's in store now.

Last edited by sp_clark; 12-23-2008 at 07:39 AM. Reason: New Info
Old 12-23-2008, 09:11 AM
minihab
1st Gear
My 08 ClubmanS is in the shop and will be in for some time as the throttle valve needs replacing and the part is on back order. I am not sure how many others have had the same problem up here.

Old 12-23-2008, 09:22 AM
sp_clark
3rd Gear
Discouraging news on your Clubman. This the first instance you've had with a run-ability issue? How many miles so far?

I'd been hoping BMW'd sussed out the problems the cold weather on this continent is giving the new engine design by the time they started building '08's for North America.

Old 12-23-2008, 10:35 AM
JustUs5
1st Gear
minihab, I had the same problem two weeks ago. Happened early on a Saturday morning when the temp was around -15C. Had the Clubman towed to the dealer (couldn't get the car over 20kmh and I had to cross some very busy roads) where they warmed up the car with the service bay heaters, reset the fault code and applied some sort of fix.

Originally Posted by ekg
It sounds like they are replacing the intake, according to the service manager this will eliminate the water build up.
I was also told the same thing. If it happens again, and according to BMW it must happen twice before they will affect a warranty repair, a new intake will be put on the car. Sadly, the intake is on back-order. Fortunately, the problem hasn't re-occurred. If humidity and temperature play any part, I expect the warm-up and rain on Xmas Eve, followed by a return to cold temps on Xmas Day to be the first chance for a repeat.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't happen. You can't have as much fun in the snow with a Cavaran as you can with a MINI

Old 12-23-2008, 10:48 AM
ekg
1st Gear
Originally Posted by JustUs5
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't happen. You can't have as much fun in the snow with a Cavaran as you can with a MINI
Heh I was hoping mine would have fixed itself over the summer but the issue was back again this year. So I'm afraid you might not luck out that way. Supposedly my car will be finished today so we'll see if it fixed the issue.

We have noticed that despite the service managers faulty chemistry lesson, putting isopropyl in the fuel tank seemed to ward off the issue. It wasn't until we stopped putting it in that the car froze again.

Old 12-23-2008, 10:48 AM
minihab
1st Gear
I agree guys, the car is great in the snow but not being able to go over 40kms and sputtering along really sucks. sp_clark, the car only has about 12,000kms and this is the only real issue thus far except for the window issue where I know I am not alone.
Hey JustUs5, I've seen your posts on SOMC, good to hear from you. This issue started for me on Sunday, went away and happened again on Monday. The SA at MVW was great and looked at it right away. I think the weather here is going to affect quite a few vehicles.

Old 12-23-2008, 10:56 AM
sp_clark
3rd Gear
ekg: curious your finding Isopropyl (rubbing alcohol) seems to help as I don't think the fuel system is the problem as much as water vapor in the air intake ahead of the throttle valve & air metering gubbins that freezes when it gets cold. Alcohol should never be getting in there, nor should water vapor under normal operating conditions.

You're correct on the fun part! I drove a Grand Voyager for five years before getting into my first MINI back in 2002. Foot-operated "hand brake" doesn't cut it for winter turns....

minihab: can you point me to a link on the window issue you mention? Mine squeal going up or down, but then so did the windows on the R53 I drove for 4-1/2 years.

Old 12-23-2008, 10:59 AM
ekg
1st Gear
Originally Posted by sp_clark
ekg: curious your finding Isopropyl (rubbing alcohol) seems to help as I don't think the fuel system is the problem as much as water vapor in the air intake ahead of the throttle valve & air metering gubbins that freezes when it gets cold. Alcohol should never be getting in there, nor should water vapor under normal operating conditions.
True true. Our original reason for trying the isopropyl was the sound of the car was reminiscent of water in the gas line. This was prior to having it diagnosed as frozen throttle. We'll see if the replacement intake does the trick.

Quick Reply: Yellow engine light - full engine power no longer available