Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Oil Change Nightmare... Buyer Beware...

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 06:39 AM
HalAC
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another question.

Which way does the oil flow through the filter in this system? Does it flow from the center inside towards the outside, or from the outside towards the center? I've seen either way on various vehicles over the years.

Thanks in advance.

Old 02-14-2009, 07:58 AM
psb
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ekinca
This is an interesting perspective, but I would have to say if the design of this product is of the nature that a simple oil change can damage a engine essential part that would tell me this is a design flaw. Yes I may have caused the failure myself, I the part I can admit that. But if the simple cleaning of the oil canister, a standardized pratice, can cause damage to something of this nature, something is wrong. Guess what that is exactly why I chose to fix it myself. But being pretty experienced in car maintence. I feel I can judge some of the technical merrits of a significant design flaw. But hey whatever. Yeah maybe I am trying to vent a bit, but really you should look closely at how poorly this part is manufactured before you try to slam someone... Any other manufacture including the parent BMW would make arrangements to have a part like this availble seperately... check the parts catalog... they do... But hey best of luck to you, I hope it doesn't happen to you... That was the only point of this post in the first place... But if you want to point out the obvious, more power to you...
when looking at the mini compared to other cars i have owned i have come to the conclusion that it is full of flaws in comparison. from the use of small plastic parts to creeks and what not. i would still buy it knowing what i know now, but it is troubling at times:(

Old 02-15-2009, 08:15 PM
HalAC
5th Gear
One possible solution....

I'm going to assume that this plastic valve is this filter bypass valve. This will open if you go too long between oil changes and the filter starts to restrict the flow of oil. I figure if the valve is totally removed it lets too much oil flow through the filter casing thus giving a low oil pressure indication.

I figure if this is true, then the valve is there if you totally ignore changing the oil and filter for an extended period of time. Since I'm kinda OCD about oil changes (every 5k miles), this valve should not have to come into play.

While I'm looking for good used filter housing bracket, I've come up with a temporary fix. I went down to my local, old fashioned hardware store and purchased #00 sized rubber stopper. I tapered the small end a bit more so it would fit into the hole where the valve seated itself. This stopper is just long enough so it is held in place by the bottom of the filter element. No more low oil pressure light.

I'm hoping to find a good valve soon. But before I install it back into my MINI I plan to take as many measurements as I can so I can make a duplicate out of a more durable material, say Delrin or maybe even aluminum.

Old 08-19-2010, 12:20 AM
TonyB
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
HalAC, did you ever find a good valve?

Did any here with the broken part also have an after mkt oil pressure gauge installed?

I'm guessing that mine somehow failed, but my oil pressure gauge is still reading normal during start-up, once warm at idle and under load. It gives me some comfort, despite that light that won't turn-off. I'm hoping though that it's not a false sense security and that damage might indeed be happening...

Old 08-19-2010, 03:21 PM
HalAC
5th Gear
I did finally find a good valve. Bought it in a used oil filter bracket assembly from the Market Place here on NAM.

I have sent it to a friend of mine that is a master machinist to see if he can reproduce it in a material that is more robust. I'll post something when I hear back from him.

Old 08-19-2010, 03:38 PM
TonyB
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thank you for the follow-up.

I was contemplating starting a new thread, but I'll try here first, with a three questions...

First, is the red oil light only an indicator of low oil pressure?

What exactly is the purpose of the oil cannister bypass valve?

And, if this valve for any reason fails, what, if any are the possible repercussions?

Old 08-18-2013, 10:59 AM
edrrobbins
Neutral
Removing the oil bypass valve

Folks this is a cheap snap in part that could be replaced for less a $1.00. Not any more sophisticated than a simple PCV valve. Attempt after attempt resulted in being unable to get the bypass valve to stay into place. (turns out later the retaining clips that hold it in place had broken, causing it to fail) I don’t know specifically what caused mine to fail, but seeing how cheaply it is made, it could have been heat fracture or as easily broken from removing the oil filter. More digging on the net came up nothing. And of course out of warranty by 2 months… Ok bite the bullet, take it to the dealer, what maybe $65 to fix it, plus another oil change, right? Hell no, they informed me the entire housing would have to be replaced at a cost of $300+ with the labor brought the grand total for the repair to over $1000! We are talking about one hell of an oil change. Feeling like a complete idiot for what I had done to my car and really not knowing any better, I told them to go ahead and fix it… Holy crap I just spent over $1000 for a weekends worth of simple maintenance. On second thought I called back and asked them to reassemble and I would attempt the repairs myself, I figured If broke it, I can fix it… Not only that but we are talking $1000! It still ended up costing me $164 for “an hour’s labor”, considering removing the canister cover takes approximately 5 min to remove. What customer service, considering I walked in telling them exactly what the problem was, I guess I got a deal. Looking around, I found the canister new for $179 and later used for $100 at a local wrecker. Bought the used canister, unsnapped the $1.00 part and fixed my car myself in about 2 minutes…

Pics to come...
On my second oil change after buying my '03 Mini in Feb. '13 I decided to change the oil myself and unfortunately broke the oil bypass valve. So I ordered the entire canister from my Mini dealer but would rather just pop out the oil bypass valve then change the entire canister. I am having trouble removing the oil bypass valve from the replacement canister I bought. Did you use any trick or strategy to get the oil bypass valve out? I am afraid of breaking it and being back at square one so any advice will help.

Old 08-19-2013, 10:56 AM
edrrobbins
Neutral
I have an oil filter nightmare I want everyone to know about so you may not run into the same hellish problem I have had…
So last weekend I figured to do a little routine maintenance, general look under the bonnet and a simple oil change. Things where going well and some how managed to spill only a few drops of oil, quite a feat for a MINI as the oil loves to drain out everywhere when you remove the oil canister… Everything when back together smooth and figured as with a thousand other oil changes that was that… Until I started it back up… oil light came on, as usual with an oil change as oil fills the canister for a few moments… but in this case the low oil light stayed on… Oh crap… must have left the plug out… Expecting to see oil everywhere, got out and nothing… Double checked everything very closely, everything looked fine, plenty of oil, no reason for it… Try again… Same thing, oil light wont go out… several different checks later and decide to take the oil canister out… low and behold under the filter is a small plastic part, that turns out to be the oil bypass valve… Checking on the net reveals the same problem in one other post:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=113820

Folks this is a cheap snap in part that could be replaced for less a $1.00. Not any more sophisticated than a simple PCV valve. Attempt after attempt resulted in being unable to get the bypass valve to stay into place. (turns out later the retaining clips that hold it in place had broken, causing it to fail) I don’t know specifically what caused mine to fail, but seeing how cheaply it is made, it could have been heat fracture or as easily broken from removing the oil filter. More digging on the net came up nothing. And of course out of warranty by 2 months… Ok bite the bullet, take it to the dealer, what maybe $65 to fix it, plus another oil change, right? Hell no, they informed me the entire housing would have to be replaced at a cost of $300+ with the labor brought the grand total for the repair to over $1000! We are talking about one hell of an oil change. Feeling like a complete idiot for what I had done to my car and really not knowing any better, I told them to go ahead and fix it… Holy crap I just spent over $1000 for a weekends worth of simple maintenance. On second thought I called back and asked them to reassemble and I would attempt the repairs myself, I figured If broke it, I can fix it… Not only that but we are talking $1000! It still ended up costing me $164 for “an hour’s labor”, considering removing the canister cover takes approximately 5 min to remove. What customer service, considering I walked in telling them exactly what the problem was, I guess I got a deal. Looking around, I found the canister new for $179 and later used for $100 at a local wrecker. Bought the used canister, unsnapped the $1.00 part and fixed my car myself in about 2 minutes…
In my opinion this is absolute highway robbery, I am really pissed off and feel betrayed by MINI. I have loved this car the whole time I have had it. Having this experience first hand has really put a sour taste in my mouth and has changed my opinion. Not only is the part so cheaply made to begin with, but MINI has to know what is going on here, why not make the cheap little snap-in part available for purchase by itself? This smells very fishy to me… Not to mention, but a real ticking time bomb, I was lucky it happened my garage, if this cheap part where to fail under load, it would result in immediate oil pressure loss, I can only imagine that there have been engines that have seized due to this cheap part failure.
The single biggest issue I have is what MINI causes you to go through to replace it. Sure you may make a simple flaw in the design, but to rape your customers for a cool grand when the part could be replaced by a 4 year old just doesn’t seem right to me… Sorry if this is such a long winded post, I am hoping this experience may help someone to avoid the headache I have endured…
"Simple" Do it yourself Oil Change with Mobil 1…............…$45.00
Cost for MINI to tell you exactly what you already know….$164.00
Buying replacement $1.00 part………………………...........………$100.00
Total…………………………………………………………....................... $209.00
Not getting raped by MINI for unnecessary repairs……….....Priceless

Pics to come...
Hey I'm having this same problem, I broke the Oil Bypass Valve changing the oil. I purchased the entire oil canister housing but I am having trouble removing the oil bypass valve. How did you remove the oil bypass valve from the oil canister housing. I am worried about breaking it so any strategy or simple process you may have used would help. Thanks.

Old 10-12-2014, 04:18 PM
agood1
Neutral
I hate to drag up an old thread, but it seems allot of people have experienced this same problem....me included.
Could this plastic piece just be a drain back valve that opens when you take out the oil filter so the residual oil will drain back into the oil pan? It looks like that is all it is....so blocking it off with a rubber stopper should solve the low pressure problem with only an spillage issue when you do and filter change.

Does this seem logical?

HalAC.....seemed to figure this out a while back....

Old 10-12-2014, 05:38 PM
Nicefeet
5th Gear
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
This was one of the first parts I broke on my MINI. It pissed me off just enough that I wanted set the car on fire. It would be nice if someone would start making an aftermarket part to fix this defect. They would'nt even have to make the spring.

I ended up buying a new oil filter housing.

Old 03-26-2015, 04:06 PM
El Gooch
1st Gear
This is what I found after doing a bunch of reading.... I got to this point because I just picked up an 02' Mini S from a friend. He said that he was driving the car when he heard this noise. He pulled over and had it towed home and never tried starting it again, because he thought he blew the motor. I thought it wad the timing chain tensioner gone bad because it made sense after watching some YouTube videos. I changed the tensioner with a new one and started the car and it still had the noise... Did some more research and asked my buddy more questions and he said that he had just got the oil changed. That is when I took the oil filter out and found the plunger laying in the bottom with 2 of the 3 legs broke off. I just hope that it didn't do any damage to the head by skipping teeth on the timing!

Any thoughts???