Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Help! Windows Roll Down By Themselves Car Unlocks

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 08:35 PM
Nui
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Help! Windows Roll Down By Themselves Car Unlocks

I called Mini 800 24 service and they said they never heard of this:

After getting out of the car (or even if you open and shut the door while you're in the car) the windows roll down and the sunroof opens as if the unlock buttom was held down. Then it won't lock or if we lock it from the key in the door it unlocks itself.

My wife asked me why I unlocked the car and left the windows down all night this morning as we park on the street. I thought she was crazy. Then she came home from work and said as soon as she got out of the car the windows rolled down. I tried with my fob and it seemed ok only to come out 10 minutes later and the windows were down and the doors were unlocked.

Then we drove to a neighbor and the car wouldn't lock the door as we were driving. Even the lock button on the center console wouldn't work. When we got there we got out and closed the door - immediately the windows came down etc.

Has this ever happened to anyone????

Old 09-23-2007, 10:39 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Maybe it wants to go to another home??

Old 09-23-2007, 10:43 PM
OrionLTD
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmmmm. Interesting. Is the unlock button on one of your key fobs stuck in the closed position (Pushed on?). If you have comfort access, try removing the battery from one and then try the other. See if one is malfunctioning. If battery is not removable, take one out of range and try with the other.....

Old 09-24-2007, 03:38 AM
Dubaian
4th Gear
maybe you kept the spare key in the car..mmm

Old 09-24-2007, 05:39 AM
4xAAA
6th Gear
I keep my keys in my back pocket and a couple of times I have rolled the windows down by accident. I like the fob, but the buttons are easy to press without meaning to.
My money is on a bad fob. Take them out of range, one at a time, and see if it makes a difference.

Old 09-24-2007, 08:43 AM
Nui
4th Gear
No. It happens with either fob. We don't touch the fobs at all. Just close the door and it does it itself.

I have no idea how to open the 07 fob. There's no screws of snaps I can see.

When we're driving we can hear the car constantly trying to unlock the doors....

Old 09-24-2007, 08:52 AM
Bhatch
4th Gear
I would disconnect the battery and have them tow it...no point putting unessicary wear on the unlock actuators.

Old 09-24-2007, 08:56 AM
rockridge
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Did you ever see the movie Christine?

Old 09-24-2007, 03:49 PM
Nui
4th Gear
I want to laugh about it but its distressing to have the Mini yell, "Steal me. Come on and party and destroy me."

Its at the dealer. They don't have a clue...

Old 09-24-2007, 04:23 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
I would bet on it being some type of body control module. Friggin just about everything is controlled by it.

Old 09-24-2007, 05:47 PM
Nui
4th Gear
I'm out of ideas. The sad thing is Mini USA was clueless also. Hope this doesn't sit for a long time while they scratch their heads.

This happened after a big rain. The first rain the car has seen.

Old 09-24-2007, 05:53 PM
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would disconnect the positive lead on the battery for 5-10 minutes and see if that fixes the issue. First year cars always have issues . Part of the game is playing beta tester for the company you bought the car from.

Old 09-24-2007, 05:57 PM
Ion28
1st Gear
I would have the ECU checked first and formost. When I've talked to guys that do ECU remaps, they say that when the ECU gets unplugged, the car does exactly what you described (i.e. rolls down the windows, opens the sunroof, and then ignores anything and everything that you try to lovingly explain to it...)

That's just my 2 cents...

Matt

Old 09-24-2007, 06:51 PM
chili_red07
5th Gear
I noticed that happened to me once at work, but I couldn't be sure that I didn't accidently do it with the remote. It never happened again, so one would think it was just me, but it could have been a fluke. I guess I'll never know.

Old 09-24-2007, 07:11 PM
harley0711
5th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by rockridge
Did you ever see the movie Christine?
if you saw this movie - your OLD.... :impatient

Old 09-25-2007, 05:43 AM
4xAAA
6th Gear
Originally Posted by harley0711
if you saw this movie - your OLD.... :impatient
The author is still alive and the movie was in color. Aged, but not "old".

Whipper-snapper!

Old 09-25-2007, 05:46 AM
mcs22004
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Nui
I called Mini 800 24 service and they said they never heard of this:

After getting out of the car (or even if you open and shut the door while you're in the car) the windows roll down and the sunroof opens as if the unlock buttom was held down. Then it won't lock or if we lock it from the key in the door it unlocks itself.

My wife asked me why I unlocked the car and left the windows down all night this morning as we park on the street. I thought she was crazy. Then she came home from work and said as soon as she got out of the car the windows rolled down. I tried with my fob and it seemed ok only to come out 10 minutes later and the windows were down and the doors were unlocked.

Then we drove to a neighbor and the car wouldn't lock the door as we were driving. Even the lock button on the center console wouldn't work. When we got there we got out and closed the door - immediately the windows came down etc.

Has this ever happened to anyone????
This problem has been reported on R53s.

Old 10-01-2007, 08:45 AM
Nui
4th Gear
Well my wife saw our neighbor and they asked about her Mini. When she told them they laughed and said the EXACT thing happened to their BMW and the car had to go in to be reprogrammed.

Its been at the dealer since last Monday and they claim they have no idea what's wrong and THIS DEALER IS A BMW DEALER. So I'm sure they've seen this before.

Last edited by Nui; 10-01-2007 at 08:48 AM.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:55 AM
chandler_vt
3rd Gear
Keys?

I would put my money on the sensor for your remote keys. Especially, since you mention the thing about rain. If the sensor somehow shorts itself to think the "unlock" key is being pressed, it would explain this behavior.

(OK I have to admit this is a wild guess. I don't know anything about car mechanics but logic dictates that the "unlock" key is being detected by the car's remote sensor.)

Old 10-01-2007, 12:04 PM
Nui
4th Gear
Chandler. I would have to agree. Since its mimicking the EXACT function of the remote door unlock being pressed and held what else could it be. It sucks the dealer denied this has ever happened to anyone and then we find out the opposite and they admit its happened to BMWs and the R53 which were resolved by software updates.

At this point they are giving us no indication how long they intend to hold the car or just release it back to us without resolving the issue.

Old 11-23-2007, 09:49 PM
Blue Skies 05
4th Gear
Well, Tawanda, my 07 MCa at 9000 miles, has this same exact issue. I went to Costco last weekend (and, yes, we have been having torrential rains up here in the WA Northwest) and when I came back out, her windows were down and the sunroof was cracked). I thought maybe I did it somehow with the key fob, and put it in the back of my mind.

However, when I got home, got out of her and shut the door, both windows went down again and the sunroof cracked open. I thought maybe I messed up the programming. Not.

After fiddling with her for over an hour, I called NW MINI and they seemed aware of the issue and said she'd most likely have to be programmed. However, when I took her in last Tuesday, they called me and said it was the body control module, which had to be ordered. She goes in this coming Tuesday to get the module replaced.

Granted they offered me a loaner, but this is a serious issue in areas with the rain, rain, rain we have up here. Fortunately, she isn't my daily driver.

Since Tuesday, I have driven her, but never anywhere I have to park her unsupervised. She randomly lowers her windows. For example, I headed out to the WA coast today at 11 am. When I left, she was all zipped up. When I returned at 5 pm, both windows were down 1/3 of the way (thank the goddesses she is garaged).

As much as I am in love with Tawanda, this is a real PIA to say the least. Yep, we might call it teething issues. But, here is the real reality: What if I parked here at Costco in a rainstorm and the windows/sunroof came open and she was flooded? I can only say luck was with me. If she were my daily driver, I'd be s... out of luck in this weather.

Last edited by Blue Skies 05; 11-23-2007 at 09:52 PM.
Old 11-23-2007, 10:24 PM
Nui
4th Gear
Believe me I know how you feel. We don't have a garage for Maxine and if it rains my wife wakes me up at 2AM to check the car to make sure the windows haven't gone down. We're afraid to go on a trip where we'll hit rain.

This is very interesting as my dealer has been given the run around saying MINI claims only our car in the whole world is having this problem. We still don't have it fixed and the local MINI rep is really screwing around our dealer. Thanks for the update. I'll pass this along to our dealer. Please let us know if this fixes it.

Last edited by Nui; 11-23-2007 at 10:31 PM.
Old 11-23-2007, 10:32 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Nui
This is very interesting as my dealer has been given the run around saying MINI claims only our car in the whole world is having this problem.
Don't you know this is covered in SA 101?

Can't tell you how often I've heard this one...and so have my MINI-owning friends...on the same problem.

Old 11-23-2007, 10:37 PM
Nui
4th Gear
Originally Posted by daffodildeb
Don't you know this is covered in SA 101?

Can't tell you how often I've heard this one...and so have my MINI-owning friends...on the same problem.
We love this car but we're loosing any respect for the company. After sale respect or service is atrocious. When this happened I called MINI service. He said they never heard of it. Then I asked to have the car towed to the dealer. They said the lot wouldn't be open so we'd have to wait until the next day. I then asked if I could pull the fuses controlling the windows so they wouldn't roll down. Are you ready for his answer???

"Oh that might void the warrantee. Better the car gets stolen and you have your insurance company replace it then do that."

Are you kidding me??

Then we took it to the dealer. Showed them the problem. They witnessed the car immediately unlock the door after we locked it. The next day we got a call saying to pick up the car because MINI said the problem doesn't exist.

I had to raise hell. The result? The car stayed there for three weeks and we finally got it back without them fixing it. I don't blame the dealer. They got no help from MINI other than that was only a problem with the original MINI.

Then a neighbor came by and my wife told them about this. They laughed and said its very common on BMWs and it happened to theirs. They took it in and a new program was created to fix the problem. All along MINI denied this ever happened.

Last edited by Nui; 11-23-2007 at 10:41 PM.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:05 PM
redbaron
1st Gear
I have had my MC for 4 years and this just happened! The temporary fix (I figured out) was to keep the windows rolled up but DO NOT LOCK the doors with the fob when exiting the vehicle. I know it only solves half the problem but its better than leaving the windows completely rolled down. I called the dealer and they said it was a faulty door latch switch and would fix it under warranty. They did tell me to pull the window fuse as temp fix but that prevents you from rolling down the windows while driving.

Quick Reply: Help! Windows Roll Down By Themselves Car Unlocks